b

c

d

e

f

g

CharlestonFishing.Com
CharlestonFishing.Com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Your Space
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 To The South
 Beaufort / Hilton Head
 Sharks around Harbor and Fripp! (Pic added)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

98seapro18
Intermediate Member

86 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  1:26:05 PM  Show Profile Send 98seapro18 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey guys i have been reading post on this site for a while just never posted anything but anyway we come down and stay on harbor every year for a week we take our boat with us so i know the water around the area pretty good. My buddy is going to come daown for a few days and wants to catch some sharks. I have caught some around the hole in the harbor river near the ttp of harbor is. Just wondering if there was any better spots in the area i really want to show him a good time Thnaks!

Edited by - 98seapro18 on 08/21/2010 4:55:22 PM

sharky

4445 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  1:35:03 PM  Show Profile Send sharky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the inlet between fripp and hunting island.there is a hole out from the pier on hunting.

Edited by - sharky on 07/13/2010 1:51:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

98seapro18
Intermediate Member

86 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  1:56:25 PM  Show Profile Send 98seapro18 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
have you done any good on in the hole at the very back of the fripp inlet the hole is right in front of where it starts to fork off its a 80 foot hole fished there but didnt have any luck.
Go to Top of Page

eightnic8

1224 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  2:16:44 PM  Show Profile Send eightnic8 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have never fished that hole but i know where youre talkin about. Crazy how deep it is right there.

We fished back in the creek to the left and caught shark after shark after shark using small pogies. Caught a few really big rays too.

In my experience i have caught more sharks in shallow water than deep, just of of an edge near sand bars etc., but thats just me. I know alot of people fish in deep holes for them and have good luck with it too.

06 sea pro 1900sv
"Reel Estate"
06 14ft Alumnacraft

Go to Top of Page

98seapro18
Intermediate Member

86 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  2:22:08 PM  Show Profile Send 98seapro18 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for the advice man. I have caught some really big rays back there to they put up a heck of a fight real good fun! Any one else have any tips i could use all i can! One more thing since we only come down only for a week once a year hard to get alot of fishing in but where is a good spot for reds around harbor and fripp
Go to Top of Page

quad69king

39 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2010 :  10:26:05 PM  Show Profile  Send quad69king a Yahoo! Message Send quad69king a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ive caught some nice sharks and tarpon from the peir on hunting island...Not only is there a deep hole out there, but they also have some of the reef balls by the peir...The best bait i have found to use for the bigger sharks is a live ray ( about the size of a basketball) ...You can either cut chunks out of its wings or cut its belly area open...This will give it the injured fish vibe and help it draw attention ....Large chunks of fish will work too but I have found that I catch more of the large rays when fishing with it on the bottom...
Go to Top of Page

98seapro18
Intermediate Member

86 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  2:20:46 PM  Show Profile Send 98seapro18 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks alot for the info i have used the wings as bait before but never the whole ray i will have to try that thanks! Anyone else all tips are helpful!!
Go to Top of Page

98seapro18
Intermediate Member

86 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  5:41:58 PM  Show Profile Send 98seapro18 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
one more thing i have read on here and guys say they use crabs as shark bait. What kinda crabs are yall using do you just go catch some blue crabs and hook them up and fish the bottom?
Go to Top of Page

jford

1665 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2010 :  12:50:39 PM  Show Profile Send jford a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The point of the mouth of the first big creek above Russ Pt landing has some good on's. Shallow at creek mouth and drops off deep.

J Ford

Go to Top of Page

98seapro18
Intermediate Member

86 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2010 :  2:04:33 PM  Show Profile Send 98seapro18 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for the info
Go to Top of Page

Spottail King737

23 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2010 :  12:06:40 AM  Show Profile Send Spottail King737 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are some big sharks in the Harbor River. I fish from the beach at low tide with eels or whole mullet (about 10 inches long). At low tide I catch a lot in the 3 - 5 foot range, but I've had much bigger break off. I've seen some big sharks swimming around the Fripp Inlet. We used to stay at a beach house at the very tip of the sandbar on Hunting Island and I've seen some monsters swimming around (actually had two of them swim right up to me in knee deep water). I've seen a shark actually go after a bird standing on the tip of the sandbar. As for redfish, I usually fish the incoming tide on Hunting Island near the sandbar. As the water starts to fill up the tidal pools, fish barely over the breakers with shrimp and you can probably get a few reds. Theres usually about a 30 minute window as the water fills up around the trees where you can catch a cooler full of nice sized black drum (one over 15 pounds earlier this year) mixed in with a few smaller redfish. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

98seapro18
Intermediate Member

86 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2010 :  6:34:00 PM  Show Profile Send 98seapro18 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yea i have fished off the beach on harbor island there is a pretty big hole out there some good fishing! Well Spottail King think you for the info very helpful. i caint wait to get down there just a week and a half left till i have some great fun fishing
Go to Top of Page

quad69king

39 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2010 :  9:35:46 PM  Show Profile  Send quad69king a Yahoo! Message Send quad69king a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im staying in the campground on hunting island aound the sametime your going to be there seapro (july 31-aug 10)...Im going to be fishing from the peir most of the nights im there if anyone is interested in joining me and my friends...Im also going to be fishing from my kayak some in the area...
Go to Top of Page

Spottail King737

23 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2010 :  11:56:32 PM  Show Profile Send Spottail King737 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No problem. The surf fishing on Hunting Island is good near that sandbar, but unless you're staying in one of those houses, its a good little walk. I saw a recent picture of a 49lb Redfish caught from the surf of Harbor Island. I'm wondering if that was caught anywhere near that shark hole.
Go to Top of Page

98seapro18
Intermediate Member

86 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2010 :  4:52:01 PM  Show Profile Send 98seapro18 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yea man that sounds great we will be down at Harbor from july 31 thru aug 7 so yea we can go fishing on the peir sometime sounds like fun! just let me know something idk if i will have a computer down there or not just shoot me a pm and wil can figure something out.
Go to Top of Page

98seapro18
Intermediate Member

86 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2010 :  8:31:26 PM  Show Profile Send 98seapro18 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ill be coming down there this sat staying the whole week anyone want to go fishing let me know!
Go to Top of Page

98seapro18
Intermediate Member

86 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2010 :  4:53:43 PM  Show Profile Send 98seapro18 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IMG]http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx304/lowtide1/photo-1.jpg[/IMG]

This was the first week in August we were in the mouth of the Trenchards Inlet. My Uncle caught it we were anchored up about 100 yards away and went over to help it was around 7ft dont know how much it weighed guessing around 200 pounds. biggest shark we ever caught lots of fun!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CharlestonFishing.Com © CharlestonFishing.Com, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000