b

c

d

e

f

g

CharlestonFishing.Com
CharlestonFishing.Com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Your Space
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Non-Fishing
 Hunting
 Marsh Hen Hunting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dontpanicfishing
Intermediate Member

125 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  3:31:22 PM  Show Profile Send dontpanicfishing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have never been marsh hen hunting but always have wanted to. When is the season and any other helpful tips would be appreciated. Thanks

seamus

396 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  7:33:55 PM  Show Profile Send seamus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
have never been either, but would be glad to join you to figure it out.

240 0utrage 250 verado
Go to Top of Page

dontpanicfishing
Intermediate Member

125 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  7:47:32 PM  Show Profile Send dontpanicfishing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by seamus

have never been either, but would be glad to join you to figure it out.

240 0utrage 250 verado

Do you know when season starts?

Go to Top of Page

hamlincreekfreak

256 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  9:44:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit hamlincreekfreak's Homepage Send hamlincreekfreak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check out DNR web site. No motor power allowed. Flood tide NE wind =lots of hens.

Capt. Griffin
USCG Captain OUPV, Masters
http://www.nature-tours.com
Go to Top of Page

SCPOLOMAN

31 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2010 :  11:48:06 PM  Show Profile Send SCPOLOMAN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the season is at the end of september or the begining of october.

woo pig sooie
Go to Top of Page

SaltHunter

1467 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2010 :  12:44:32 PM  Show Profile Send SaltHunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DPF,

'Mud-chickens' are right outside your back door.
Seek a copy of the migratory bird pamplet(not sure if it's ready or not yet for this year...) and it will list dates for you.

It's a lot of fun, and they taste pretty good too.

Your boat would be just right for goin' after'em.
Go to Top of Page

clay1029

14 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  10:05:39 AM  Show Profile Send clay1029 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is from a email I received from DNR.

The two-part season for marsh hens—including king, clapper, sora and Virginia rails—and common moorhens and purple gallinules will be from Sept. 8–Sept. 12 and Oct. 6–Dec. 9. The daily bag limit for king and/or clapper rails is 15 birds per hunter and moorhens and/or purple gallinules is 15 birds per hunter. The daily limit for sora and/or Virginia rails is 25 birds per hunter. Shooting hours are 30 minutes before sunrise until sunset.
Go to Top of Page

oyster cracker

348 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  7:19:30 PM  Show Profile Send oyster cracker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Marsh hen hunting is a blast! Pole/paddle your boat into the flooded marsh on the spring tide. The birds will be on the mats of wrack(dead marsh grass). They usually don't fly away but will jump into the water and swim sometimes. I always carry a bunch of rocks or something that I can throw at them to get them to fly. Not much sport shooting a bird standing still. Don't over-gun; a .410 or a 20 ga. is all you will need.

If you have a lab puppy it is a great training camp for them.

oyster cracker
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CharlestonFishing.Com © 2000-2013 CharlestonFishing.com, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000