b

c

d

e

f

g

CharlestonFishing.Com
CharlestonFishing.Com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Your Space
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 CharlestonFishing.Com
 Inshore Reports
 Fall Mullet run in full swing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

EB_edisto
Intermediate Member

149 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  12:01:36 PM  Show Profile Send EB_edisto a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Below are a few pics I took this morning. Thinking now is time to hunt some tarpons or giant redfish a few miles out. I heard fresh mullet eat well. I filled a couple and plan to have them hit hot grease tonight. Any other ideas on how to cook them?

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.”

feather thrower

492 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  12:29:48 PM  Show Profile Send feather thrower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very good report. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

oops_lost

628 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  1:10:50 PM  Show Profile Send oops_lost a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I was in N.C they were on the menu at a couple of local restaurants in Morehead city. They deep fried them like any other fish. Didn't care for the dark meat and oily taste. Guess you just have the taste for them.

FishCrazy
Go to Top of Page

PeaPod

4109 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  1:22:33 PM  Show Profile Send PeaPod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
smoked.
Go to Top of Page

Local Boy

704 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  1:47:43 PM  Show Profile Send Local Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great smoked or take and fry the 12" and under better than Trout

Local Boy, Just having fun.
Go to Top of Page

fishingsteven

537 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  5:10:00 PM  Show Profile Send fishingsteven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
nice pics. Tell me how they taste

fish nude so u can show off ur pole..
Go to Top of Page

fishingwithbob
Captain

879 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  7:22:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit fishingwithbob's Homepage Send fishingwithbob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Had some last week. I (and my late father) like the 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 # ones best. FRESH. Scaled, gutted, head off, scrape the black from the roof of the inside, but leave just a little, fillet down one side, make two pieces out of the fillet, three out of the backbone side, dredge in 70% cornmeal, 30% flour and fry in hot grease. Grits and sliced tomatoes........AWESOME!!!!!!!

Bob Sanders
FishingWithBob
Edisto Inshore Charters
Big Fork Farms LLC
Real Estate Sales
803-300-2780
803-259-1374
www.fishingwithbob.com
www.southcarolinalandonline.com

Go to Top of Page

Vinman

1762 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  7:33:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vinman's Homepage Send Vinman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
disturbing

Vinman
19.5 Triumph, 115 HP Honda
"Every saint has a past, every sinner a future"
Go to Top of Page

Fishunter

6 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  8:39:41 PM  Show Profile Send Fishunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I consider myself to be an avid mullet eater, but i have never, and i mean never, eaten a mullet from the Atlatic. Mullet from the Gulf are much sweeter.

That boy's fuked up like a soup sandwich!!
Go to Top of Page

CH Allen

1187 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  8:58:23 PM  Show Profile Send CH Allen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fishunter

I consider myself to be an avid mullet eater, but i have never, and i mean never, eaten a mullet from the Atlatic. Mullet from the Gulf are much sweeter.

This is what I have heard. Black Mullet vs Silver/striped mullet. I aint quite hungry enough to eat tarpon baits.
Go to Top of Page

shevlin

4636 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  9:09:47 PM  Show Profile Send shevlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vinman

disturbing

Vinman
19.5 Triumph, 115 HP Honda
"Every saint has a past, every sinner a future"

lol that's what i was thinking but to each their own hope you enjoy them edisto!

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

CaptFritz

8466 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  9:42:42 PM  Show Profile Send CaptFritz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you seeing these mullet in Edisto?

www.advoutdoors.com
Go to Top of Page

loophole

396 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  9:46:19 PM  Show Profile Send loophole a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Recipe: cook on a board over an open fire for 5 minutes. eat board and throw away mullet
Go to Top of Page

EB_edisto
Intermediate Member

149 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  03:52:06 AM  Show Profile Send EB_edisto a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaptFritz

www.advoutdoors.com

There here. So are the critters that chase them. Get off the computer and on the water.

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.”
Go to Top of Page

hitwiththeuglystick

165 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  09:20:40 AM  Show Profile Send hitwiththeuglystick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is how you eat them.... You dont
Go to Top of Page

EB_edisto
Intermediate Member

149 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  10:42:20 AM  Show Profile Send EB_edisto a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hitwiththeuglystick

This is how you eat them.... You dont

That might be the best recipe so far.

Go to Top of Page

flyfishn

709 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  11:40:51 AM  Show Profile Send flyfishn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bet every one of yall bashing eating mullet have actually never eaten one. i havent eaten one but i wouldnt be opposed to trying. I've eaten some weird fish before that people said tasted like s*%& that I enjoyed. Maybe its because im a college student though..

strip..strip..FISH ON!
Go to Top of Page

RussB

4202 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  11:54:36 AM  Show Profile Send RussB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, I ate one once, was the first fish had ever caught in SC waters years ago, figured, hmm, good lookin fish, ought to taste good, gutted, headed, scaled, fried in a pan, took one bite and out the window it went! Tasted like a mouthful of pluf mud! Not many things from the ocean I haven't eaten or will try, but mullet is out for good for me!

Russ B.
www.joinrfa.org
God is great, Beer is good, People are crazy

Go to Top of Page

Bonzo72
Prolific Poster

12224 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  12:36:29 PM  Show Profile Send Bonzo72 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

smoked.

I can't find rolling papers that big!

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org
Go to Top of Page

PeaPod

4109 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  1:49:57 PM  Show Profile Send PeaPod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
n chuck off remount, mexican grocer
Go to Top of Page

McFDoom

463 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  1:50:28 PM  Show Profile Send McFDoom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bonzo72

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

smoked.

I can't find rolling papers that big!

you can always find a paper big enough Bonz...

Go to Top of Page

barbawang

1745 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  2:36:17 PM  Show Profile  Send barbawang an AOL message Send barbawang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ask Da Moons-- he clearly thought i was insane last year for eating them. after he tried the cherry wood smoked fillets, he wanted to buy them from me.
Go to Top of Page

CaptFritz

8466 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  2:56:54 PM  Show Profile Send CaptFritz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EB_edisto

quote:
Originally posted by CaptFritz

www.advoutdoors.com

There here. So are the critters that chase them. Get off the computer and on the water.

Here as in here in Edisto or here as in here in Charleston

www.advoutdoors.com
Go to Top of Page

Patientmaker

1970 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  5:24:57 PM  Show Profile Send Patientmaker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mom worked at DNR years ago and there was a guy who also worked there who would smoke Amberjack, mullet, and all sorts of stuff. The smoked mullet tasted good. We ate a lot of it. It tasted like anything else you smoke(as far as fish go).....smoked.
Go to Top of Page

Bugsmunny

835 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  5:26:47 PM  Show Profile Send Bugsmunny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bonzo...PeaPod...McFDoom!!!.....y'all ain't right!!!!....LMAO!!!!....lol..lol..lol.........;-)

livin life one day at a time!!!
2006 Seafox172
05 Mercury90hp(saltwater)
Go to Top of Page

steveo358

5 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  5:52:09 PM  Show Profile Send steveo358 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Grew up in eastern north carolina,the only way I know they are fixed is charcoal mullet. Split open, dont scale, put meat side down on charcoal grill first 3 minutes, then put scale side down, and put carolina treet sauce on them,cook till done on scale side.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CharlestonFishing.Com © CharlestonFishing.Com, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000