b

c

d

e

f

g

CharlestonFishing.Com
CharlestonFishing.Com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Your Space
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 CharlestonFishing.Com
 Surf / Pier Fishing
 Mt. Pleasant pier ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

minnesota matt

8 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2011 :  10:59:31 AM  Show Profile Send minnesota matt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
new to the area! was wondering what the fishing would be like of the pier? what kind of species would i be looking at? looking to go this sunday!

wheres the walleyes!

12-Footer

1752 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2011 :  2:33:00 PM  Show Profile  Send 12-Footer an AOL message  Send 12-Footer a Yahoo! Message Send 12-Footer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by minnesota matt

new to the area! was wondering what the fishing would be like of the pier? what kind of species would i be looking at? looking to go this sunday!

wheres the walleyes!

The only walleyes I've seen down here was looking at me thru a picture frame.....

you got a lot to learn......

get a book on saltwater fishin and hang around this site and ask questions. waters about 62 degrees right now (once it gets closer to 68 things really start to pick up). fishin will be gettin good reel soon.

IOP pier is private for those condos.

Folly pier over at Folly beach is a paid public pier.

there's also that other pier down near Ravenal bridge (Mt. Plesant pier). I haven't fished it yet. probably cuz there aint any king mackarel off the end of that one.

Fish tremble at the mention of my name.

Edited by - 12-Footer on 03/21/2011 6:40:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

sshaarda

3345 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2011 :  2:53:11 PM  Show Profile Send sshaarda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 12-Footer
Mt. Pleasant pier is private for those condos.

Mt. Pleasant waterfront park is open to the public. You can fish there right now. Guy on here posted of catching some sheepshead last week. Couple hours before and after high tide with some fiddlers. Tight lines...

"If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel ." Benjamin Netanyahu

GW 205
F200 Yam
Go to Top of Page

Indy

3263 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2011 :  3:28:49 PM  Show Profile Send Indy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mt P is pubic. IOP is private. He has kings on his mind.
Go to Top of Page

minnesota matt

8 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2011 :  3:46:38 PM  Show Profile Send minnesota matt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what would i wanna use? i am looking to go this weekend and get out of the house!! is thier a bate shop down there?

wheres the walleyes!
Go to Top of Page

minnesota matt

8 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2011 :  3:47:59 PM  Show Profile Send minnesota matt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i have alot of my trout and panfish gear from back home but thats about it!

wheres the walleyes!
Go to Top of Page

12-Footer

1752 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2011 :  6:49:28 PM  Show Profile  Send 12-Footer an AOL message  Send 12-Footer a Yahoo! Message Send 12-Footer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Indy

Mt P is pubic. IOP is private. He has kings on his mind.

DOH!

Thanks Indy

I fixed it ^^

If I can't get on it, or there ain't no kings off the end of it, my brain doesn't bother to register it properly.

at my age my brains pretty much filled. if I have to remember something new, I have to forget something first....

Fish tremble at the mention of my name.
Go to Top of Page

Dragonslayer

867 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2011 :  10:06:54 PM  Show Profile Send Dragonslayer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Matt,
Go to any of the local tackle shops, (Haddrells or Charleston Angler have multiple locations around here, just Google them), and they will be happy to get you pointed in the right direction. I have always found both of them to be great sources of information, and really willing to help people get started. Also, as 12-Footer said, keep an eye out on this website for tips and tricks and ask questions. Just remember to have a thick skin since there seem to be a lot of people on here who think they own the water and don't want anybody who's great, great, great, great, great grandparents didn't live here to partake of their precious resource. Good luck!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell
Go to Top of Page

chefparrothead
Intermediate Member

130 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2011 :  8:03:30 PM  Show Profile Send chefparrothead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
**** the Mt p pier I went once toc heck it out.. its shallow, you have to pay to park and fish the pier,, thats just too much, but I tried it...for the most what they are catching is shepsheads..did see a guy pull up a small black drum last summer.. have been told their are trout and red drum but never saw any or met anyone who has caught or knows someone who caught one their... hey matt.. go out to Sullivans island fish behind ft multrie, next to the rock jetty..their I said it..its free, pleny of parking and the few times Ive been have seen and caught fish.. but matt to really produce you need to becomes friends with a boat owner , buy one, or go to the "fishing buddy" thread and hook up with someone going out

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. ~Steven Wright

Go to Top of Page

happyappy

347 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  10:22:21 AM  Show Profile Send happyappy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
there's plenty of fish to be had at the pier. water temp is almost right now. next few weeks should be interesting to see what starts biting

the pier is built on a giant mud flat so yeah at low tide there isn't much water. i've had better luck on the risin tide out there.

its not an ocean pier. it's in the cooper river so expect to catch reds, trout, flounder, sheeps, etc. you're not gonna catch any kings off there

personally i like going out there. it's not everyones cup of tea i suppose
Go to Top of Page

scfisherman89

221 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  12:29:55 PM  Show Profile Send scfisherman89 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ive seen reds caught off their on plenty of occasions... i think it depends alot on the tide what youre gonna catch.

17" War Eagle 25 Mercury
17" Boston Whaler Montauk 90 yamaha

Go to Top of Page

Hurricane701

2310 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  9:10:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hurricane701's Homepage Send Hurricane701 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hooked a 27" red last year off the pier tide coming back in ..... on a 3 inch pin fish .... I thought the water was a little warmer last time we were out we were getting about 68 on the flat to the right of the pier .... don't cast out let your line roll under or hit near the pylons of the big bridge .... drag some mud minnows hook and sinker no crazy rigs ..... I might venture down early and see if I can find some sheepshead
Go to Top of Page

FloYaka

43 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2011 :  11:19:14 AM  Show Profile Send FloYaka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey everybody - My sister and her husband are coming to visit Memorial day weekend. I think it would be easier to take them to fish this pier than taking them on the kayak and canoe on the rivers, due to time.

Any other tips anyone would like to share (choice of bait, where not to cast out to avoid snags.....)? I've never fished this peir yet and want to make sure they have the best experience catching fish up here in Charleston on their vaction. Thanks in advance.

Edited by - FloYaka on 05/16/2011 2:25:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

jipride

748 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2011 :  3:51:49 PM  Show Profile Send jipride a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My 2 cents on bait. Shrimp will keep you busy. Everything eats it. It is good if you are with children because it doesn't get too boring. You could catch every type of BS fish around or a huge target species. Target for me, and probably most, is reds, trout or flounder. If you fish with finger mullet (FM), cut bait or very large mud minnows (MM), you may not get a single bite. However, when you do, boy it is fish on. If it is not a target fish, it will likely be a ray or a shark. Not target but still fun and kids love them both.

Karma is 360 degrees
Go to Top of Page

FloYaka

43 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2011 :  10:03:10 PM  Show Profile Send FloYaka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info jipride. I'm pretty sure they'll want to hit the target fish. Who doesn't?
I think I might catch some fiddlers and try for some sheephead as well.
Go to Top of Page

dawgfish09
Intermediate Member

65 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2011 :  5:57:27 PM  Show Profile Send dawgfish09 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey y'all new user here new to area. Headed over to Mt P pier today incoming tide and caught nice flounder, barley legal trout, and a fun ray. Only out for about an hour fishies were after some cut mullet today. lots of rays on the surface. Pier is super clean and only pier I've been to with nets for anyone to use lined up down the pier. one guy even came up and poured bleach over the spot where the ray bled a little. so in my opinion 5 bucks to fish and 50 cents an hour to park is worth it. have a good one... don't have pics btw...
Go to Top of Page

happyappy

347 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2011 :  08:59:42 AM  Show Profile Send happyappy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
they just started selling beer in the giftshop now too

should be good for your memorial day fishing down there
Go to Top of Page

dawgfish09
Intermediate Member

65 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2011 :  10:38:24 PM  Show Profile Send dawgfish09 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah noticed that they sell beer today so I bought two to start but they make you pour them in plastics in the shop. oh well drink em while they're cold. Then right when we get out there my fianc catches a 16" red. I thought the day was gonna be insane but ended up only catch all day. some other sheepshead were caught by others. mainly by people who saw her catch red and all of a sudden 6 people move right beside us WTF... anyway nice day again. people who work the pier even walk around with a cast net trying to catch bait for people. here she is with her red.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CharlestonFishing.Com © 2000-2013 CharlestonFishing.com, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000