b

c

d

e

f

g

CharlestonFishing.Com
CharlestonFishing.Com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Your Space
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 To The South
 Beaufort / Hilton Head
 Flounder Gigging Beaufort Area
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

palmettotrooper
Intermediate Member

123 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  01:42:38 AM  Show Profile Send palmettotrooper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After working all winter I have finally set up a light system on my boat in attempt to gig some flounder. I've gone out several times in the past years around the banks of Fripp but really didn't have much success. Any suggestions on when to start and were to go. I've also been told that the back side of lemon island can produce some nice gigging. It always seemed that every time I attempted to go out of lemon island the wind would be blowing 25mph. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

spanishking

598 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  08:19:43 AM  Show Profile Send spanishking a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw some of your posts on THT, that grill AND your poling platform is badazz. Welcome to CF. I suck at gigging, its either too windy or water is too muddy.

02 Carolina Skiff 175 RG Honda 90 -
Go to Top of Page

Kingatic

2267 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  08:22:09 AM  Show Profile Send Kingatic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First of all, thats a bad ars grill!! Pick ur days with less than 5 nts of wind with a south or west wind. Cat island area, bft. river, grays hill area. The flounder are movin in now from offshore. Visibility is the key. The more boat traffic the less vis. Early in the boating season and late are the best times of the year. Good luck.

Keywest 2220 Suzuki 225 4 stroke
16' homemade skiff 25 merc
You hold the tail, I'm fuc#ing this cat!
Go to Top of Page

palmettotrooper
Intermediate Member

123 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  2:15:55 PM  Show Profile Send palmettotrooper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks King and Spanish! I started out on THT with the platform I built for my john boat and then a member on charlestonfishing contacted me about building one for his war eagle. Never had a clue about this forum unitl meeting him. Im a local so I figured this would be more like "home" for me. I've gigged with a generator and tons of spot lights but I never seemed to get on them and make it worth my while. I recently made some lights that I can submerge under water and hopefully be able to see a little better.
http://ultimategiglights.vpweb.com/ The link has photos of what I mocked in my design. Kingatic, were would be the closes landing for Cat island? Down town Landing at the marina?
Go to Top of Page

eightnic8

1224 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  4:32:25 PM  Show Profile Send eightnic8 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The landing at the sands in port royal is right across from cat island

06 sea pro 1900sv
"Reel Estate"
06 14ft Alumnacraft

Go to Top of Page

mctimberco

40 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  4:48:40 PM  Show Profile Send mctimberco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That pic of the grill will get you a lot of business. Great Job!
Go to Top of Page

Kingatic

2267 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  4:58:49 PM  Show Profile Send Kingatic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like nic said, the sands, or the Yacht club if ur a member

Go to Top of Page

Kingatic

2267 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  5:03:05 PM  Show Profile Send Kingatic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any pics of the platform? I'm thinkin of putting one one my little boat

Go to Top of Page

palmettotrooper
Intermediate Member

123 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  10:39:31 PM  Show Profile Send palmettotrooper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking about giving it a shot this weekend if the weather permits. I'll deff. have to check out around cat island. I've always been told that the banks around Fripp and the lagoon at the state park were the places to go gig. I've never had much luck around Fripp and never been able to get in the lagoon.
Kingatic, I'll post a few pics of the platform I built for my boat as well as Spot Tales boat. I have a career and only weld as a hobby. If I had plenty of T Tops at my disposal, I would go in business building grills for sure.

Go to Top of Page

palmettotrooper
Intermediate Member

123 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  10:41:23 PM  Show Profile Send palmettotrooper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heres some pics of Spot Tales war eagle

Go to Top of Page

beaufortjay

300 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  10:55:21 PM  Show Profile Send beaufortjay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow just wow. Nice. I don't gig so I have no advice sorry

211 key west 175 suzuki
Go to Top of Page

xxmadfirexx

630 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  10:55:51 PM  Show Profile Send xxmadfirexx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome platforms! Wanna build one for my scout? Lol on a serious note if yur in the chechessee area you can try around banana island as well as the grass and dead shell island in middle marsh at the mouth of the collection river. Also try the mud bank along the little chechessee/chechessee creek.

2007 Scout 221 150 Yamaha 4 stroke

Edited by - xxmadfirexx on 04/12/2011 10:57:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

palmettotrooper
Intermediate Member

123 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  12:36:30 AM  Show Profile Send palmettotrooper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks madfire and Jay...We can put a platform on the scout with no problem. If nothing else, you can use it as a good seat and rod holder. I met a guy a long time ago that lived off of Red Bluff rd on Lemon island and he giged around that area alot. The water around lemon island seems to be pretty clear and will prob be worth while. Either way im gonna have to drive to a landing. Edding Point landing down the street from where we stay is up for improvements and was told last saturday that it was closed for a few more months.

Go to Top of Page

Knot Working

168 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  09:31:20 AM  Show Profile Send Knot Working a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Palmetto, shoot me a PM. I have gigged the Edding Point area for over 30 years and would be happy to give you some local knowledge in exchange for a little more info on you light system.

Murray-
Sole Mate
16 Sundance Skiff
255 Sea Pro

Sole Mate-
26' Sea Pro-
Zuke 200's
Go to Top of Page

palmettotrooper
Intermediate Member

123 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  9:41:12 PM  Show Profile Send palmettotrooper a Private Message  Reply with Quote

well I Just found out that the Edding Point landing Is open again
Go to Top of Page

Fishead

46 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2011 :  8:39:30 PM  Show Profile Send Fishead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice work on the platforms! What are you bending the tubing with?

18' CC Privateer
DF 115 Suzuki
Go to Top of Page

palmettotrooper
Intermediate Member

123 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2011 :  8:52:36 PM  Show Profile Send palmettotrooper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A hydrolic bender that was specificaly made for the tubing. Aluminum is so soft though that you could cut out a wooden die and bend it around that.
Go to Top of Page

palmettotrooper
Intermediate Member

123 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2011 :  10:26:54 PM  Show Profile Send palmettotrooper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was hoping to gig some flounder Friday night if the weather permits. Has anybody got any good reports?
Go to Top of Page

big bite

280 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  10:23:50 PM  Show Profile Send big bite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FWIW I went last weekend. Terribly windy and I could only find one bank to gig. 2 reds and 14 flounder.

Fishing for the FUN of it!
Go to Top of Page

palmettotrooper
Intermediate Member

123 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  10:38:57 AM  Show Profile Send palmettotrooper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey thats great! I didnt' end up going last night since high tide was so late. Ill try and hit it some time the end of next week
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CharlestonFishing.Com © 2000-2013 CharlestonFishing.com, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000