b

c

d

e

f

g

CharlestonFishing.Com
CharlestonFishing.Com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Your Space
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 To The South
 Beaufort / Hilton Head
 White bugs in menhaden mouth
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

funnybanana
Intermediate Member

115 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2011 :  04:50:55 AM  Show Profile Send funnybanana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Up late doing some homework for school and wanting to take a break. I've noticed a white parasitic looking bug in some menhaden's mouths I've used as bait. What are these things? They're pretty freaky looking. I'm pretty sure there's not a symbiotic relationship between the bug and the fish, but maybe I'm wrong?

backlash

842 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2011 :  05:08:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit backlash's Homepage Send backlash a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bluefish sometimes get a parasite in their gills that's small and white, not sure i it's the same as I usually dont examine menhaden, they die to quick, one way or another
Go to Top of Page

marshtacky

193 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2011 :  1:40:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit marshtacky's Homepage Send marshtacky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
they live in nearly all ocean fish. next time you catch a king look in his throte and they usually line the inside. I have seen up to 20 in a single fish.

Marshtacky Sportfishing
843-384-7790
Capt.Zack Lynam
hiltonheadislandsportfishing.com
Go to Top of Page

wildlifesc

1350 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2011 :  2:24:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit wildlifesc's Homepage Send wildlifesc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
May be copepods...
Go to Top of Page

funnybanana
Intermediate Member

115 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2011 :  2:32:38 PM  Show Profile Send funnybanana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kind of look like mantis shrimp. Can't really find an answer on Google, but did find they're sometimes called bugfish because of their oral inhabitants. Oh well. Kind of interesting.
Go to Top of Page

wildlifesc

1350 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2011 :  6:04:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit wildlifesc's Homepage Send wildlifesc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most likely it's gill lice...Lironeca:

Lironeca is a rather large isopod and its body is flattened top to bottom. It is commonly seen on the gills of striped bass, as well as on Atlantic menhaden and bluefish. It is mostly seen in the summer months at higher salinities.

Go to Top of Page

ejinsc
Intermediate Member

128 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2011 :  7:22:29 PM  Show Profile Send ejinsc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jim, is that the same bug I see on redfish in the winter that litter the bottom of the boat when you catch them? I don't think I have seen them in the warmer months.

Capt Ed Johnson
"Wastin Time"
197 Pioneer Sportfish
Okatie, SC
Go to Top of Page

funnybanana
Intermediate Member

115 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2011 :  9:30:14 PM  Show Profile Send funnybanana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wildlifesc

Most likely it's gill lice...Lironeca:

Lironeca is a rather large isopod and its body is flattened top to bottom. It is commonly seen on the gills of striped bass, as well as on Atlantic menhaden and bluefish. It is mostly seen in the summer months at higher salinities.

Yeah, that's the bug. One of the perks of being a menhaden.
Go to Top of Page

barbawang

1697 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  11:25:49 AM  Show Profile  Send barbawang an AOL message Send barbawang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you got it wildlife.

the redfish isopods are probably a different species, but very close. a lot of isopod and copepod parasites are very host-specific. "fish lice" copepods (the flat ones that almost look like tiny horseshoe crabs) are far less so.
Go to Top of Page

freshhooks

14 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  12:57:16 PM  Show Profile Send freshhooks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like a sandflea...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CharlestonFishing.Com © 2000-2013 CharlestonFishing.com, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000