b

c

d

e

f

g

CharlestonFishing.Com
CharlestonFishing.Com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Your Space
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 CharlestonFishing.Com
 Boats and Motors
 KeyWest 1720 Leaking Fuel Tank
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pursuitgang

200 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  11:26:00 PM  Show Profile Send pursuitgang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The fuel tank in my 1996 KeyWest 1720 is unfortunately leaking. There is no access to the tank, so the deck has to be cut to replace the tank. I have called KeyWest and they were very nice and will do the job at the factory and stated you would not be able to tell the deck was cut, but the price seems a little high.

Any had this done? Who would you suggest to do the work? What do you think a fair price is?

Thanks

Pursuitgang (RealTime)

2486 Triton w/twin Suzuki DF140s (RealTime)
1720 KeyWest 90 Johnson

Loosewire

1495 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  09:43:31 AM  Show Profile Send Loosewire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a '00 model and have wondered the same thing. What did KW quote you to do the job? PM if you wish.

Go to Top of Page

Mixed Nutz

3719 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  7:54:55 PM  Show Profile Send Mixed Nutz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you checked the gasket under the fuel tank sending unit? You'd be surprised how much a rotted gasket can leak fuel. Only a ?.

...Politicians aren't the "Oldest Profession", but the results are still the same!!!

Edited by - Mixed Nutz on 05/04/2011 7:57:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

pursuitgang

200 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  9:03:18 PM  Show Profile Send pursuitgang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mixed Nutz,

I was hoping it was something like that, but I checked the sender gasket, the vent line, the fill line, and the supply line to the motor and all were good. I had 5 plus gallons of fuel in the bilge, so I am sure the a weld split or something. I put 3 lbs of pressure in the system and it just forced gas into the bilge.

Pursuitgang (RealTime)

1720 KeyWest 90 Johnson
Go to Top of Page

RDW

1093 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  10:00:25 PM  Show Profile Send RDW a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sound like you've got it covered, but could it possibly be coming from the water seperator?
I had the same issue once with gas in my bilge, thought the tank was leaking. Finally saw a drop of fuel come from the fuel-filter/seperator cartridge. Turned out the cartridge had a pin hole and was leaking the gas.
Go to Top of Page

chris V

7557 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  5:18:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit chris V's Homepage Send chris V a Private Message  Reply with Quote
call carl h i o tt at hydra craf 553-5898

www.teamcharlestonmarine.com
www.joinrfa.org
Go to Top of Page

pursuitgang

200 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  9:19:50 PM  Show Profile Send pursuitgang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Chris,

I didn't think about Carl, he rebuilt the transom on my 18 SeaCraft 15 years ago and did an awesome job.

Pursuitgang (RealTime)

1720 KeyWest 90 Johnson
Go to Top of Page

carolinacoot

1483 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  9:20:15 PM  Show Profile Send carolinacoot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They were nicer to you than to me. I stopped by there about a month ago and asked what it would cost for them to re foam my 1720 after I rip out the floor. They politely told me they would not do it.
Go to Top of Page

pawayne

1641 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  08:37:43 AM  Show Profile Send pawayne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RDW

Sound like you've got it covered, but could it possibly be coming from the water seperator?
I had the same issue once with gas in my bilge, thought the tank was leaking. Finally saw a drop of fuel come from the fuel-filter/seperator cartridge. Turned out the cartridge had a pin hole and was leaking the gas.

That happened to mine also. Good advice to check that also.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CharlestonFishing.Com © CharlestonFishing.Com, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000