Posted - 07/16/2012 : 3:37:33 PM
| Report from the quail woods:
Got out after a month of being away to see what was left of the wooded world.
1) black fox squirrel- kids thought pretty cool
2) yote-zilla ran across the road. Kids got to see that. Tried to lead him to veggie patch
3) deer and hogs decimated veggie patch. Looked like it was bombed. Corn- none survived hogs. Pumpkins- deer eating new growth, hogs tearing up fruit, 1 left. Okra- deer decimated. Melons- brought home survivors, hogs wiped out a row and a half. Replanted okra and corn. Added peanuts to give them a chance. Kids excited about melons, but want to wreck the hogs
4) planted a couple more plots for quail. Would have done more, but #3 ate up my time
5) checked feeder I put up for hog hunting. Squirrels had spun off wing nut. Picked up battery, and cover. Located nut, reset timer. Kids offered to wait there with .22
6) shot 22 with kids.
Headed back for kids to write their book: 101 ways to kill deer flies. At least the day was spent doing this at their request.
If you got time to lean, you got time to clean.