Weather Recipes Search Charters Classifieds Sponsors YouTube Twitter Facebook FAQ's Calendar Resources CharlestonFishing.Com

a

b

c

d

e

f

g

CharlestonFishing.Com
CharlestonFishing.Com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Your Space
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 CharlestonFishing.Com
 Fishing Discussion
 Tagged Fish Tales
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

StumpNocker

1569 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2017 :  10:41:40 AM  Show Profile Send StumpNocker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is your best tagged fish story?

Last month I caught a tagged fish in the Wando. It had been tagged a year and a half ago and grew from 21" to 28.5" in that time and was tagged literally within a half mile of where I caught it again. I was the first to catch it since its original tagging.

I know that these creek spottail tend to stay within a couple miles while they are juvenile but once they get grow up they will expand their range. I was just wanting to read some stories of other tagged fish and how far some of them have come and gone. I know several of the members here tag fish and I hope you would share a story or 2 for me and the other to enjoy. So spill the beans people, lets go!

Fishing Nerd

"you win some, you lose some...but nothing beats getting some!"

Optiker
SPONSOR

5472 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2017 :  10:46:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Optiker's Homepage Send Optiker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got a couple!

1. I tagged one in the wando, upper slot. It was recaptured near Beaufort. That is rare. They are mostly caught very close by if not on the same structure.

2. This is the best one...I tagged a fish at 21.75". It was recaptured by Ralph at 23.0" about 8 months later when we were fishing the Southern Redfish Cup together last year. Earned us $1000 big fish honors :) It was released again

3. I've also had several fish caught 4+ times. Usually in the Wando

Edited by - Optiker on 02/15/2017 10:47:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

40inchreds

885 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2017 :  2:57:26 PM  Show Profile Send 40inchreds a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I plan to start tagging this year but I routinely catch the same reds based off body markings sometimes back to back. I've heard of this with sharks and catfish too. The sharks and cat fish were tagged released and caught again within an hour.
Go to Top of Page

Steelwill

32 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2017 :  5:10:47 PM  Show Profile Send Steelwill a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I caught one in September last year at the south jetty. I was the first to catch it since it was tagged. It was tagged in the Wando near Beresford Creek in July 2015. 26 inches when tagged and 33 inches when I caught it.
Go to Top of Page

saltfisher

2046 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2017 :  5:22:23 PM  Show Profile Send saltfisher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been tagging for a long time,,,,,,
longest traveled was a bluefish.... tagged in the Cooper,,, caught 2 years laters off the Florida coast,,,,,,,,,
Sheepshead tagged at Capers Reef in Feb,, caught 5 times in one week near Bulls Bay,,, The last guy kept the fish.
Used to tag sharks,,, we would catch the same bonnethead the next year in the same creek mouth as the previous summer.
Tagged a 23" sheep on one trip.. caught it 2 more times in the next 3 hours.
Go to Top of Page

Fred67

9282 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2017 :  7:26:44 PM  Show Profile Send Fred67 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is funny about this is the simple fact of when a fish is hungry, he/she will eat anything.... even if it pulls it out the water several times!

Just lets us all know that a hungry fish puts it's stomach over all else.

"If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed."
Go to Top of Page

Screamingdrag

218 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  06:32:54 AM  Show Profile Send Screamingdrag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inchreds

I plan to start tagging this year but I routinely catch the same reds based off body markings sometimes back to back. I've heard of this with sharks and catfish too. The sharks and cat fish were tagged released and caught again within an hour.

Do it. I started this summer and have had a ton of fun with it! You learn so much about the patterns and IMO it makes you a much better angler

17' Mako
Go to Top of Page

sulcataman

692 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  07:25:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit sulcataman's Homepage Send sulcataman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First time I ever saw a tag was 40 years ago. Thought it was some kind of parasite!

Olde Man Charters
843-478-1538
Oldemancharters@gmail.com
286 Seafox/Twin 300's
Go to Top of Page

Moral Kiosk
Intermediate Member

148 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  08:38:14 AM  Show Profile Send Moral Kiosk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What should you do when you catch a tagged fish? Are instructions on the tag? Is there proper etiquette for this; i.e. always release?
Go to Top of Page

FishinMission

180 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  08:57:18 AM  Show Profile Send FishinMission a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a weird one...

The first day i started my inshore fishing log was 3 years ago

(September 7, 2013)

I caught a tagged black drum that was small (dont have my log so i cant see the info)

I caught the same fish on the same dock exactly a year later on 9/7/14
he was big and fat, he ate the exact same bait at almost the exact same tide and water temp from the year before.

Weird how it played out, I thought it was pretty cool.

Look at where Jesus went to pick people. He didn't go to the colleges; he got guys off the fishing docks.
Go to Top of Page

StumpNocker

1569 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  09:08:24 AM  Show Profile Send StumpNocker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great stuff guys! Keep em coming!

quote:
Originally posted by Moral Kiosk

What should you do when you catch a tagged fish? Are instructions on the tag? Is there proper etiquette for this; i.e. always release?

Typically, yes. Please release a tagged fish to let the research/data accumulate for that particular fish. As far as what to do with a caught tagged fish, get a good measurement on length, weight if you can and document the tag number then release promptly as you would any fish you are releasing. Then go to the SCDNR website and report your info. http://www.dnr.sc.gov/marine/tagfish/form.html

Fishing Nerd

Go to Top of Page

Hundo6

47 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  09:28:46 AM  Show Profile Send Hundo6 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Caught a tagged red in bass creek this past christmas eve. We caught prob about 20 reds within an hour and ended up keeping 9 for a feast. Didn't even realize one of them was tagged until we got home bc we were catching so many we just measured the keepers and threw them in the cooler as quick as possible. Fortunately after doing some research and asking a DNR officer buddy of mine i found out that it is completely legal to harvest as long as it meets slot requirements. Reported the tag # and DNR sent me a t-shirt and that fish's history. It had been caught/tagged just a few months before in the same creek. If i had seen the tag i would've just taken the tag # and released the fish bc i like the idea behind tracking these fish. Next time. Was quite delicious though.

19' American Skiff Coral Bay
Go to Top of Page

barbawang

2005 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  09:52:38 AM  Show Profile  Send barbawang an AOL message Send barbawang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
good thread, Stump! here's a couple more:

-I caught a small (10"?) tagged sheep two weekends in a row on the same piling at the same tide on the same bait, he had been tagged two weeks prior to that, and was caught every week for 4 weeks running in the same spot!

-Same place, I once "tagged" an 8.8lb sheep in the upper lip with a #1 owner SSW and short section of 20lb fluoro on the dropping tide. disappointed, I fished another area at slack, came back for flood tide, and caught her again 10 feet away and 45mins later. she succumbed to frigid conditions in my boat before I could release her a second time, but I got both my hooks back... I have always loved reading about SaltFisher's interesting tags & recaptures of sheeps too

-The first red drum I caught as a father was at the jetties a couple months after my first daughter was born. Might've been the first boat trip I got to take as a dad, for that matter. It was june and I just wanted to catch something, so I double anchored over the outside of the north on top of the rocks and messed with little BSB and a couple bonnetheads. I was using crappy forged hooks that I had forgotten have a tendency to break, and the shark rod went off again. I fought it like a shark, but it turned out to be a 28" tagged red that I landed with a broken hook (circle hook, constant pressure from me horsing it around kept the gap in its lip) and it fell out as soon as I netted it. that fish had been tagged about a year previous on the north jetty, and this was the third time it had been recaptured within a few hundred yards of the same spot. like fred said, it ain't hard to get a red to bite!
Go to Top of Page

longbearded1

506 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  1:02:31 PM  Show Profile Send longbearded1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Worked for Artificial Reef program, diving and saw a spadefish with a tag that I could have shot with a polespear. Back at work told the tagging program people about it and they told me I should have shot it because they never get spadefish recaptures. Couple weeks later diving the same structure and see a tagged spadefish, shoot fish turn in data, tagged two days before I shot it.
Go to Top of Page

pitviper0404

2551 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  1:47:26 PM  Show Profile Send pitviper0404 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I caught a tagged red in the Ashley River, wasnt exactly sure what it was because I had never seen one before and it had green alge on it covering up the numbers. I called a guide buddy of mine and he told me what it was. I scrapped the slime off of it, took a pic of the numbers and verified them, then measured and released. I was really looking forward to getting the history on the fish, but it never came. I did get a tshirt in the mail, but the info was what I wanted to know. It would be cool to see how long the fish was swimming around, how much it had grown, where it was tagged and how many people reported tagging it, but guess I will never know.

One Simple Thanks!!

http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

Go to Top of Page

hairball

1799 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  4:43:08 PM  Show Profile Send hairball a Private Message  Reply with Quote
pitviper0404,

How long ago did you catch it and what was the tag number? I tag a lot of reds in the Ashley and if it was mine I'll give you the information.

Iain Pelto
Sea Hunt Triton 160 - 90 ETEC "JB3"
'71 Scout "Ugly Duckling"

Go to Top of Page

interceptor4

593 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  7:27:57 PM  Show Profile Send interceptor4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Caught a tagged spot tail a few years back. A year after I caught it I caught it again about 6 miles down the river.
Go to Top of Page

pitviper0404

2551 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2017 :  12:27:20 PM  Show Profile Send pitviper0404 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hairball

pitviper0404,

How long ago did you catch it and what was the tag number? I tag a lot of reds in the Ashley and if it was mine I'll give you the information.

Iain Pelto

I spoke with someone from DNR. They located my report and it's on the way. I will ping you when I get it and we can see if it was one of yours.

One Simple Thanks!!

Go to Top of Page

pitviper0404

2551 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2017 :  12:16:12 PM  Show Profile Send pitviper0404 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hairball

pitviper0404,

Iain Pelto

PM sent

One Simple Thanks!!

Go to Top of Page

Firefighterj80

619 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2017 :  2:36:39 PM  Show Profile Send Firefighterj80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Moral Kiosk

You call DNR and give them the information about the fish(type, location, length, health, whether or it was released) as well as the tag number. Then they notify the person who placed the tag about the capture. If you report the tag, they will give you a t-shirt or hat most of the time.

2014 Pioneer 197 Sportfish

2012 Malibu Stealth 12 Kayak

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"

Go to Top of Page

saltfisher

2046 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2017 :  2:42:12 PM  Show Profile Send saltfisher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do my returns on line,,,,,, google scdnr tag and find where it asks for report on line,,,,and just fill in the blanks.. They want to know the species,date, length, weight if possible and basic idea of where you caught,,Cooper, jetty, Wando etc,,,, not the 2cd dock on the right past the old house details,,,
Go to Top of Page

fishingsteven

546 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2017 :  4:47:33 PM  Show Profile Send fishingsteven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Caught a 18in black drum that was tagged 3 months before. It was caught 8 times between the time it was first tagged and the time I had caught it. Every time was at the same spot.

Sportsman Masters 207
Go to Top of Page

affinityfish

1406 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2017 :  11:15:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit affinityfish's Homepage Send affinityfish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tagged a 2ft bonnethead shark while running a family fishing charter in the Kiawah River about 10 years ago, the fish was recaptured and released in winter near the Florida Keys, and 7 years later running another fishing trip in Kiawah River we caught the same bonehead that we tagged 7 years ago.
Go to Top of Page

StumpNocker

1569 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2017 :  10:44:27 AM  Show Profile Send StumpNocker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by affinityfish

Tagged a 2ft bonnethead shark while running a family fishing charter in the Kiawah River about 10 years ago, the fish was recaptured and released in winter near the Florida Keys, and 7 years later running another fishing trip in Kiawah River we caught the same bonehead that we tagged 7 years ago.

That's an adventurous shark! Thanks for sharing!

Fishing Nerd

Go to Top of Page

oyster cracker

660 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2017 :  7:49:23 PM  Show Profile Send oyster cracker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tagged a redfish in the May River, Bluffton SC, probably 15 yrs ago. I got word from DNR that it was caught and released at Jupiter Inlet FL. I don't think that was possible. The next most distant fish that I tagged was caught at Shellman's Bluff GA.

oc
Go to Top of Page

barbawang

2005 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2017 :  9:11:55 PM  Show Profile  Send barbawang an AOL message Send barbawang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oyster cracker, I wouldn't doubt that report at all- they definitely move from here to NC and FL, and are known to live at least into their upper 30's here.

Today I was throwing a grub looking for a trout when I saw movement in the periphery, it was a cheap popping cork swimming toward me. Took me almost a dozen casts bouncing off the leader under the float, as the fish was almost out of range past me I got the Trout Eye jighead to ride up and stick in the float. Game on, played, landed and released about a 28" healthy, strong redfish minus his "tag"!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CharlestonFishing.Com © CharlestonFishing.Com, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000