Weather Recipes Search Charters Classifieds Sponsors YouTube Twitter Facebook FAQ's Calendar Resources CharlestonFishing.Com

a

b

c

d

e

f

g

CharlestonFishing.Com
CharlestonFishing.Com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Your Space
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 CharlestonFishing.Com
 Surf / Pier Fishing
 Folly beach pier
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sam Tar

44 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2017 :  6:31:47 PM  Show Profile Send Sam Tar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone catching a lot of fish recently on the folly beach pier? If so, what kind?

40inchreds

880 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2017 :  09:11:30 AM  Show Profile Send 40inchreds a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The surf is still slow but small hooks and fresh shrimp you should catch whiting and some stingrays and an occasional small shark, but that will be the bulk of what you will catch. Go give it a try, you might get lucky and catch something nice.
Go to Top of Page

Sam Tar

44 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2017 :  12:00:53 PM  Show Profile Send Sam Tar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you think that I will catch more fish early April.
Go to Top of Page

Sam Tar

44 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2017 :  6:51:58 PM  Show Profile Send Sam Tar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
??
Go to Top of Page

40inchreds

880 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2017 :  8:43:06 PM  Show Profile Send 40inchreds a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah
Go to Top of Page

Sam Tar

44 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2017 :  8:51:49 PM  Show Profile Send Sam Tar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Sam Tar

44 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  07:05:02 AM  Show Profile Send Sam Tar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Should I use shrimp as bait?
Go to Top of Page

runbabyrun

886 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  08:35:09 AM  Show Profile Send runbabyrun a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes on like a #2 owner hook. If you catch a whiting cut that up and throw out a chunk on a #5 owner hook and try for a red. Not allot out but it is possible to catch them. Badboy pointed you in the right direction on the other thread of a decent spot to try. It's worth the effort to walk. Read the earlier thread called DFreedom and it has some info of what to look for that would be helpful. This is for the surf not the pier. A few reds have been caught already this year, but they are not out in big numbers yet.

Edited by - runbabyrun on 03/20/2017 08:40:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sam Tar

44 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  11:38:21 AM  Show Profile Send Sam Tar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok thanks. I am going to the pier early April, so hopefully the water temp goes up.
Go to Top of Page

gail wins

1709 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  7:00:57 PM  Show Profile Send gail wins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good advice Pete ; glad to see you guys helping out a newbe;;;Sam read all the posts in the surf/pier forum as far back as possible, there's tons of good hints/info in there...

George McDonald ; MAD Charleston
[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see "Old Glory" waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero's that makes it wave.
author unknown
Go to Top of Page

Sam Tar

44 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  8:48:45 PM  Show Profile Send Sam Tar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Sam Tar

44 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2017 :  11:52:47 AM  Show Profile Send Sam Tar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can anyone please let me know if they go fishing at the pier if they catch anything?
Go to Top of Page

fish717

25 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2017 :  08:09:22 AM  Show Profile Send fish717 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i went yesterday and caught nothing and neither did anyone else
Go to Top of Page

Sam Tar

44 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2017 :  6:36:43 PM  Show Profile Send Sam Tar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok thanks. Please let me know if u find out if anyone catches anything.
Go to Top of Page

Sam Tar

44 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2017 :  7:13:27 PM  Show Profile Send Sam Tar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok thanks. Please let me know if u find out if anyone catches anything.
Go to Top of Page

FishingDuo

621 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2017 :  8:45:19 PM  Show Profile Send FishingDuo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Water temp is still too low for much action, let it get above 65 and bluefish and others will begin get active. Once closer to 70 folly pier is great for flounder/black drum/sheepshead/whiting/spanish mackeral. Just sadly still too cold(58F)
Go to Top of Page

Sam Tar

44 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2017 :  9:39:29 PM  Show Profile Send Sam Tar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok thanks. Let me know if you catch anything.
Go to Top of Page

rags
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  11:15:09 AM  Show Profile Send rags a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Newbie here, taking the kids to Folly Beach next week. Looking for recommendations on what kind of gear to bring for the Pier. We have a couple of Ugly Sticks. Will those suffice? What kind of line, hook, bait, etc.?
Go to Top of Page

izzydone

2124 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  1:11:05 PM  Show Profile Send izzydone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ugly Sticks will suffice. line- 10-20lb test, hooks-2/0 or smaller, bait- shrimp is your best bet. Stop by Crosby's for your bait shrimp, fish the breakers or right behind the breakers, use a 2-3oz pyramid sinker.

Ya know, it must be nice living in Neverneverland. Remind me to come visit you, when I need a break from reality.
Go to Top of Page

rags
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  3:11:50 PM  Show Profile Send rags a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Stevo291sc

16 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  3:20:42 PM  Show Profile Send Stevo291sc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A great alternative to shrimp is pink shrimp fish bites bait. No mess less expensive and stays on hook will catch anuthing real shrimp will
Go to Top of Page

Badbobflyfishing
Intermediate Member

77 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2017 :  12:51:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Badbobflyfishing an AOL message Send Badbobflyfishing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What ever happened to Sam Tar? Did he ever get down fishing?

BadBob

Polar 1910 BB 150 Johnson 2S

If you ain't the lead dog then the scenery never changes
Go to Top of Page

gail wins

1709 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2017 :  8:03:12 PM  Show Profile Send gail wins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not so sure, gave up maybe
Go to Top of Page

cofcfishing

331 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2017 :  4:36:52 PM  Show Profile Send cofcfishing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hit up Folly last night with Fishguy98 and few others. Had a total of 7 fish (2 rays, 4 small sharks and a BIG 7' Sand Tiger Shark) after about 4 hours before I packed it in for the night. Saw spanish jumping about 150 yds off the pier but no luck getting them any closer.

"When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon." - Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CharlestonFishing.Com © CharlestonFishing.Com, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000