Weather Recipes Search Charters Classifieds Sponsors YouTube Twitter Facebook FAQ's Calendar Resources CharlestonFishing.Com

a

b

c

d

e

f

g

CharlestonFishing.Com
CharlestonFishing.Com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Your Space
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 CharlestonFishing.Com
 Offshore Reports
 Settled for endangered bsb
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Realfin

172 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2017 :  1:30:47 PM  Show Profile Send Realfin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really wanted to catch some good sheepshead on an offshore reef, so Friday while the ocean was agreeable I gave it a shot. Fiddlers are difficult, if not impossible, to find. I struck on the notion of using the claws from big crawfish hoping to avoid the small Black Sea bass. The first stop was in 45 ft. over a tug that I know has sheeps on it. After an hour and a half and nothing but bsb, I gave up on the sheeps, and ran to live bottom in 80 ft. Lord have mercy!
Using nothing nothing but homemade artificialls, I'm sure I boated close to a hundred on a light rod. The anchor never went down on them. The jig I used , made by a friend, is big - about 3 or 4 ounces, and I've never seen one like it. The little fish were nailing it, but couldn't take it.
When my shoulder couldn't take any more, I headed in. After 2 miles I stumble onto a large turtle, and I said , bless your heart.slowing to trolling speed, I circled him about a couple of hundred feet out, and every time the bottom lit up I punched the gps. No telling what is there!
Lessons:
Go it alone when the weather is agreeable. You can experiment without interference.
There is a lot of uncharted hard bottom out there. Get a Maps Unnique chart, and go from there.
Don't ignore a concentration of birds, and don't ever, ever,ever ignore a loggerhead.
I kept my seven fish, and had a great ride home!

northchucky

1546 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2017 :  2:40:23 PM  Show Profile Send northchucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Always heard that turtles love live bottom. I think you are wise in that judgement

Thanks for the report!

"mr keys"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CharlestonFishing.Com © CharlestonFishing.Com, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000