Weather Recipes Search Charters Classifieds Sponsors YouTube Twitter Facebook FAQ's Calendar Resources CharlestonFishing.Com

a

b

c

d

e

f

g

CharlestonFishing.Com
CharlestonFishing.Com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Your Space
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 CharlestonFishing.Com
 Fishing Discussion
 How is the fishing up the Ashley?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

adam7

194 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  8:44:02 PM  Show Profile  Send adam7 an AOL message Send adam7 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like, way way up the Ashley river, past the train tracks, almost to Middleton plantation?

I imagine it's gotta start getting pretty brackish in that area right?

2002 Key West 1900CC

BlueGoose
Intermediate Member

68 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  9:07:11 PM  Show Profile Send BlueGoose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I live close to it so have considered fishing up there and am hoping someone posts to this as well.
I've seen reports on here of people catching gars and cats up there, but not much else. I've tried a few spots on my way down river. Along bluffs, by that trussel, and what not. But nothing, which doesn't differ from most my trips, ha! I'm not sure if I even see commercial crab pots up there...
But I cruise the section from time to time and see people fishing. Also, I often get bait up at the landing by ladson rd. Throw the net for shrimp and mullet. Fiddlers and what not. And people sho fish the dock at that landing say they have caught trout.
If nothing else, it's a nice boat ride by old plantations and gators. Info on the web about a few old wrecks that can be seen in the banks.
I hope someone else tuned in.

2002 17'SeaHunt
Go to Top of Page

adam7

194 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  9:14:48 PM  Show Profile  Send adam7 an AOL message Send adam7 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did some googling and DNR says the freshwater/saltwater dividing line is at popperdam creek / magnolia plantation. So the area I'm talking about is going to be right around there.

2002 Key West 1900CC
Go to Top of Page

gail wins

1817 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  9:19:41 PM  Show Profile Send gail wins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't say that far up river but have had good luck a short distance up
river from 526 bridge on reds,blacks,some trout and catsusually in deeper holes near river channel...
Go to Top of Page

otter

44 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2017 :  06:53:09 AM  Show Profile Send otter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check out the Summerville Saltwater Anglers Club, they meet the second Wendesday of the month at Miler CC. A lot of them target the area your interested in.
It's a great family/kids club.

I donít always Tell the Truth,,,
But when I do I exaggerate
Go to Top of Page

Optiker
SPONSOR

5509 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2017 :  11:13:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Optiker's Homepage Send Optiker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That part of the river is one of Charleston's gems. Its beautiful and historic. It's brackish water so you will catch a mixed bag. It's a challenge to fish it in warmer months as the combination of algae and mud makes the visibility about a half inch! Chocolate milk is a good approximation. There are redfish, largemouth, cats and occasionally striper. When the striper are stocked they are everywhere. They haven't been stocked in approx 3 years and I have only heard of 1 or 2 caught all year up there. It's a shame they won't stick around. I love fishing there, but for me it's a lot less productive than other rivers, so I don't fish it very much. The flood an hurricane really messed up the catching up there in the winters too. Hope this helps. I only use artificial lures so cut bait will surely produce better.

Edited by - Optiker on 03/21/2017 11:14:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

hairball

1799 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2017 :  11:24:08 AM  Show Profile Send hairball a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The fishing in that portion of the river has a lot of variables that are amplified over other area rivers. Season, rainfall, moon/tide, and water clarity are the main factors. When the conditions are right fishing can be very good, but still limited to very specific spots and techniques. I fish the river a lot because I have direct access. Most of the time I can do better in other areas. However, for me it is convenient and I like the challenge the area provides.

A second recommendation for Summerville Saltwater Anglers. Great group of people.

Iain Pelto
Sea Hunt Triton 160 - 90 ETEC "JB3"
'71 Scout "Ugly Duckling"

Edited by - hairball on 03/21/2017 11:26:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

sellsfish

5990 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2017 :  7:07:45 PM  Show Profile Send sellsfish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I commercially fish that river from Magnolia plantation all the way to 165. I run bush lines and you can catch some awesome cat fish there! I've caught flat heads to 86 pounds and blues as large as 65 pounds. There are some very deep holes between the two plantations, in the no wake zone behind Middleton plantation is excellent for drifting for blue cats

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

"Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him"
Go to Top of Page

Fred67

9763 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2017 :  8:33:39 PM  Show Profile Send Fred67 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sellsfish

I commercially fish that river from Magnolia plantation all the way to 165. I run bush lines and you can catch some awesome cat fish there! I've caught flat heads to 86 pounds and blues as large as 65 pounds. There are some very deep holes between the two plantations, in the no wake zone behind Middleton plantation is excellent for drifting for blue cats

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

"Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him"

That's two nice numbers on flats and blues. My best Flathead was out of the edisto (way up) 78# and my best blue (same area) was 32# . The flat on a live bream and the blue on a strip of Beef heart. The blue had a heck of a cheek muscle! and a very strong bite... took skin off my finger.

"If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed."
Go to Top of Page

sellsfish

5990 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2017 :  3:58:32 PM  Show Profile Send sellsfish a Private Message  Reply with Quote

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

Go to Top of Page

Fred67

9763 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2017 :  06:18:12 AM  Show Profile Send Fred67 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

Very nice! Some big fillets of those rascals. Unlike some fish the big ones eat just as good as the little ones...... Unless you like them pan fried whole.

"If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed."
Go to Top of Page

23Sailfish
Prolific Poster

22044 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2017 :  8:17:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit 23Sailfish's Homepage Send 23Sailfish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those pictures don't do the fish justice either, Sells is a grown boy....

Go to Top of Page

gail wins

1817 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2017 :  9:25:02 PM  Show Profile Send gail wins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reeeeeel nice cats!!!

George McDonald ; MAD Charleston
[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see "Old Glory" waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero's that makes it wave.
author unknown
Go to Top of Page

sunbums

17 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2017 :  7:19:25 PM  Show Profile Send sunbums a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please open a SellsFish store again...
Go to Top of Page

Long Enuff

932 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2017 :  7:23:21 PM  Show Profile Send Long Enuff a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Overhead killed him! Bottom line, when his lease came up for renewal, the property owner raised his rent to the point where he could not remain profitable. If that is not the case, I am sure Paul will set me straight.

Pioneer 222 Sportfish
Yamaha 250

Edited by - Long Enuff on 03/30/2017 10:02:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

bangstick

770 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  09:56:49 AM  Show Profile Send bangstick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sunbums

Please open a SellsFish store again...

SECOND!!!!!!

No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how far you fall...you are never out of the fight.
Go to Top of Page

mdl5155

278 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  7:54:37 PM  Show Profile Send mdl5155 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sellsfish knows his stuff when it comes to catfish. I've caught plenty of reds above the tressle, mostly on an outgoing tide anywhere a small creek is flowing out into the main river. The problem is that sometimes the water's decent but more often it's like light chocolate milk and nothing works.
Go to Top of Page

Long Enuff

932 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2017 :  07:36:37 AM  Show Profile Send Long Enuff a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sellsfish is still the real deal! Even while touring the midwest, he managed to hook me up with a couple of bushels of awesome Folly River oysters that I carried to Covington, Ga. The folks there were totally blown away with how good they were. Thanks Paul!

Pioneer 222 Sportfish
Yamaha 250
Go to Top of Page

sellsfish

5990 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2017 :  11:08:36 AM  Show Profile Send sellsfish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad I could help. And I do not miss retail one bit, I do miss my customers

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

Go to Top of Page

bangstick

770 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2017 :  4:00:01 PM  Show Profile Send bangstick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Glad I could help. And I do not miss retail one bit, I do miss my customers

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

And we miss you!

No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how far you fall...you are never out of the fight.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CharlestonFishing.Com © CharlestonFishing.Com, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000