Weather Recipes Search Charters Classifieds Sponsors YouTube Twitter Facebook FAQ's Calendar Resources CharlestonFishing.Com

a

b

c

d

e

f

g

CharlestonFishing.Com
CharlestonFishing.Com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Your Space
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 CharlestonFishing.Com
 Fishing Discussion
 Charleston Live Bait
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Chuck Tailer

9 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2017 :  11:29:38 PM  Show Profile Send Chuck Tailer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know you can buy mud minnows and shrimp from local bait shops but I was wondering if there are any places or boats that sell live mullet, menhaden, or blue runners? Most every other port cities I have been to has at least one person who will sell baits that normal tackle shops will not sell but I have yet to find someone in the area who does. I usually net my own bait but it would be nice to cut out the running around every now and then when time on the water is limited. Any information on the subject is appreciated.

Chuck Tailer

9 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2017 :  11:47:53 PM  Show Profile Send Chuck Tailer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Added note, I have been able to net a good amount of greenbacks and menhaden at folly beach and near the harbor. Greenies are peanuts with some bigger ones in the mix.

Corey
Go to Top of Page

dorado

774 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2017 :  11:31:14 AM  Show Profile Send dorado a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think they sell live threadfin hearing up at a tackle shop in Monks Corner. I really wish there was a place to buy live mullet in Charleston. I am not aware of one though.

Dorado II
Carolina Skiff 25DLV
Go to Top of Page

millacd

857 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2017 :  7:40:16 PM  Show Profile Send millacd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Basically no. I could be wrong though, i learn new stuff everyday
Go to Top of Page

Chuck Tailer

9 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2017 :  8:25:49 PM  Show Profile Send Chuck Tailer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the information. I will continue to look around and post again in this thread if I find anything.

Corey
Go to Top of Page

sellsfish

5973 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2017 :  09:26:31 AM  Show Profile Send sellsfish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have always thought that setting up one of my Oyster boats with live tanks in the off-season would be a good move. Live pinfish, Menhaden, even jelly balls and set up right next to fort Sumpter on Friday Saturday Sunday for boats going out. Might look into that

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

"Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him"
Go to Top of Page

natureboy
SPONSOR

2624 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2017 :  09:40:05 AM  Show Profile Send natureboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This could be a nice CASH business for someone. Wonder what permits youd need?
Go to Top of Page

Head East

241 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2017 :  5:31:55 PM  Show Profile Send Head East a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sells, there are days, tides I would patronize such a business. I hate buying bait but y'all know how it is, if you have bait you will catch bait. If I go empty handed.....no flicks. lol

2005 Sea Hunt 212 Triton
"Head East"
Go to Top of Page

sellsfish

5973 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2017 :  7:50:52 PM  Show Profile Send sellsfish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natureboy

This could be a nice CASH business for someone. Wonder what permits youd need?

Bait dealer permit, which I already have

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

"Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him"
Go to Top of Page

millacd

857 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2017 :  8:15:39 PM  Show Profile Send millacd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've seen it done in a few places in florida. Had a giant live bait sign on the boat near the mouth of the bay. Would probably be a good idea to try it during the summer months to see of it could be a workable business plan. In the morning when headed offshore, i typically have the patience for three blind casts in spots that typically hold bait if i dont see anything on the surface. If that doesn't yield anything, i just go without, but i'd be willing to spend some cash at a boat of i cant find live bait. Been offshore with a few 70 lb cobias and nothing live to throw at them before. Then watched in agony as they cruised over to a nearby boat and they pitched some live menhaden at them and brought them in lol. Dont want to make that mistake again.
Go to Top of Page

FishnBarrels

981 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2017 :  1:57:40 PM  Show Profile Send FishnBarrels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sells,

There is a major business opportunity for this. I definitely see some complications with it but consistency over an "x" period of time is what would guarantee success for that business. Once people can rely on it consistently it will be a done deal and you will have a monopoly.
Go to Top of Page

sellsfish

5973 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2017 :  7:38:03 PM  Show Profile Send sellsfish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FishnBarrels

Sells,

There is a major business opportunity for this. I definitely see some complications with it but consistency over an "x" period of time is what would guarantee success for that business. Once people can rely on it consistently it will be a done deal and you will have a monopoly.

I thought about it a few times over the years, how nice it would be to have a bait boat sitting off of Crab bank with blue runners, live pinfish live menhaden , could be very lucrative also could sell chum blocks, frozen squid and frozen cigar minnows. definitely not the year for me to embark on this venture as I am going in for surgery on May 8 and will be down for about six weeks. Missing the best month and a half of trolling, but staying alive is more important! Might put it in play for next season. Would be pretty easy to set up my 24 Carolina skiff or a pontoon boat with a large deck.

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

Go to Top of Page

PeaPod

6405 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2017 :  8:05:39 PM  Show Profile Send PeaPod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And staff it with bikini clad hot wimmens
Go to Top of Page

natureboy
SPONSOR

2624 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2017 :  8:44:53 PM  Show Profile Send natureboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sell bait all day - from 3:30 am till whenever then catch bait until dark It might take 3 people - 2 on the boat selling & dipping, and one out catching . It will take big tanks! Good family biz !
Go to Top of Page

Fred67

9507 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2017 :  06:18:57 AM  Show Profile Send Fred67 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sellsfish

quote:
Originally posted by FishnBarrels

Sells,

I thought about it a few times over the years, how nice it would be to have a bait boat sitting off of Crab bank with blue runners, live pinfish live menhaden , could be very lucrative also could sell chum blocks, frozen squid and frozen cigar minnows. definitely not the year for me to embark on this venture as I am going in for surgery on May 8 and will be down for about six weeks. Missing the best month and a half of trolling, but staying alive is more important! Might put it in play for next season. Would be pretty easy to set up my 24 Carolina skiff or a pontoon boat with a large deck.

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

what kind of surgery Paul? Whatever it is wish you the best dude!

"Why Bruce?"
Go to Top of Page

Head East

241 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2017 :  11:43:52 AM  Show Profile Send Head East a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yea hood ornaments wouldn't hurt. lol

2005 Sea Hunt 212 Triton
"Head East"
Go to Top of Page

boatpoor

2876 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2017 :  9:48:09 PM  Show Profile Send boatpoor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are quite a few live bait shops around the lakes in the upstate that sell blueback herring and gizard shad. even some floating ones. Love to see one in the low country!
Go to Top of Page

BigFishFan

188 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2017 :  08:08:21 AM  Show Profile Send BigFishFan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would be happy to see something like this available. I've missed a lot of good fishing time due to hunting bait. The convenience and extra time fishing would be money well spent in my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

CaptFritz
Prolific Poster

11486 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2017 :  09:59:53 AM  Show Profile Send CaptFritz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Opportunity doesn't always translate to profits. I see a great idea but making it profitable would be the tricky part.

'

Down here is where a signature goes but they can confuse and anger some people so I don't have one.
Go to Top of Page

DFreedom
Prolific Poster

12851 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2017 :  12:05:06 PM  Show Profile Send DFreedom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw something that looked like a floating bait shop upriver from the bridge going over to W. Ashley on the Ashley River. Wonder what that was?

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?
Go to Top of Page

millacd

857 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2017 :  4:22:14 PM  Show Profile Send millacd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

I saw something that looked like a floating bait shop upriver from the bridge going over to W. Ashley on the Ashley River. Wonder what that was?

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?

Are you talking about that thatch hut? I thought that was a barge that the crewing teams use for events
Go to Top of Page

Head East

241 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2017 :  6:49:20 PM  Show Profile Send Head East a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know, I usually see jet skis and kayaks around it.

2005 Sea Hunt 212 Triton
"Head East"
Go to Top of Page

Redstripe

4270 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2017 :  10:53:14 PM  Show Profile Send Redstripe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guys that sale herring on Murray kill it....I just came back from the keys and all we did was basically tarpon fish, and the Mullet guy probably got 2/3 hunge out of us. Do it Sells...
Go to Top of Page

mdaddy

696 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2017 :  11:07:16 PM  Show Profile Send mdaddy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Redstripe

Guys that sale herring on Murray kill it....I just came back from the keys and all we did was basically tarpon fish, and the Mullet guy probably got 2/3 hunge out of us. Do it Sells...

I want what ever you're having.
Go to Top of Page

Reeldawg

193 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2017 :  12:59:43 PM  Show Profile Send Reeldawg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love to see an on the water bait dealer like in south Florida. High$$$but worth it most times. Keeping the local bait is pretty simple. Mullet, greenies, cigar minnows all fairly easy to keep at home. Piggies, not so much because they are filter feeders. I live in the upstate and striper fish a lot. I've got a 550gallon tank in my shop. It's no more then an aquarium with a homemade koi pond biofilter. I bring mullet back to Greenville all the time. Keep them a week or two before I go back to the coast. Greenies do well also. I have a 100gallon tank I put in the truck. Put leftover bait in it and it's good the next day.
Go to Top of Page

tridogs

321 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2017 :  1:15:04 PM  Show Profile Send tridogs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Id pay for live pinfish. Never have enough time to catch those guys.Id like mine sold on land bc I don't fish out of charleston.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CharlestonFishing.Com © CharlestonFishing.Com, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000