b

c

d

e

f

g

CharlestonFishing.Com
CharlestonFishing.Com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Your Space
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 CharlestonFishing.Com
 Fishing Discussion
 Local Price for a bushel of Oysters?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eagle882

1124 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2005 :  08:49:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit eagle882's Homepage Send eagle882 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whats your local price for a bushel of Oysters?

Anyone....

Eagle

Edited by - eagle882 on 09/12/2005 08:49:37 AM

Cane Pole

1721 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2005 :  09:20:24 AM  Show Profile Send Cane Pole a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stand By 882
Go to Top of Page

Wando Grill

1875 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2005 :  09:21:15 AM  Show Profile Send Wando Grill a Private Message  Reply with Quote
None avail yet from what i have heard but per Bubba Simmons they will be pricey based on all of the problems down south which will put alot of pressure on the local supply.

Wando Grill is an outdoor catering company and it is hard to quote oyster roasts with the uncertainity.

Will let you know when I hear of a price.

big dog
Sv 19 sea pro
Go to Top of Page

Cane Pole

1721 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2005 :  09:22:11 AM  Show Profile Send Cane Pole a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mt.P Seafood has no oysters, due to the temp, its to early in the year, and he also through in the Gulf problem from Hurricane Katrina.

That is all for now, carry on.
Go to Top of Page

eagle882

1124 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2005 :  09:41:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit eagle882's Homepage Send eagle882 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys for your reply

Anyone have NC prices?
Go to Top of Page

Fishphanatic

429 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2005 :  09:48:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fishphanatic's Homepage Send Fishphanatic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eagle,

I was in Greenville last weekend for the ECU game and we had a bushel from little Washington for $38. They were big though!
Go to Top of Page

eagle882

1124 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2005 :  10:26:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit eagle882's Homepage Send eagle882 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fishphanatic

Eagle,

I was in Greenville last weekend for the ECU game and we had a bushel from little Washington for $38. They were big though!

38.00.....Thanks

EUC beat up on the Blue Devils this weekend....haa

Little Washington...nice place

Thanks Fish
Go to Top of Page

DillyDally

1758 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  3:29:41 PM  Show Profile Send DillyDally a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I get oysters from "Shawn" 843.224.5274 - that was the last phone number I had for local Charleston area oysters. Lemme know if you contact him, how much he's asking. I need some Oct 29.

DillyDally
-19' Cat-
Go to Top of Page

localdude

539 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  3:52:05 PM  Show Profile Send localdude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We also use shawn. His prices were great, the oysters were fresh, and he delivers to your door.

"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
Go to Top of Page

fishfulthinking

629 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  5:06:54 PM  Show Profile Send fishfulthinking a Private Message  Reply with Quote
shawns number is same. You generally will not beat his price or quality for locals. It is way early to be thinking about local oysters though. These oysters come from awendaw area and will be picked within a day of your order. Better to call in advance.

Here's a tip - best oysters come when the tides are really low - you can get to oysters you can't reach in normal tides, so they've been growing longer. I ate the biggest locals I've ever seen, ever, right after a really, really low tide last year. These things were state fair hogs that hadn't seen daylight before! order for the weekend following that... yummm..

edge185
Go to Top of Page

Skint Back
Intermediate Member

110 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  10:13:30 PM  Show Profile Send Skint Back a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Around columbia they are really hard to find, we managed to find 5 bushels in all of columbia 2 weeks ago.

"Stay here Texas fans as the Armadillo Band plays a tribute to Gun Racks and Open Containers!!"
Go to Top of Page

Edisto Surfcaster

202 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  12:24:07 AM  Show Profile Send Edisto Surfcaster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Talked with a buddy o' min d in charlie town who does roasts and the closest he can get is CANADA @ $60 per 100.

Whew way too much for me!

Tight lines!

"Fair Winds and Following Seas"
Go to Top of Page

Fishphanatic

429 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  10:14:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fishphanatic's Homepage Send Fishphanatic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is the determining factor(s) for harvest time here in Charleston? I heard end of September/Middle of October. I would think it depends on the temp of the water. What do you guys think?
Go to Top of Page

localdude

539 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  10:20:24 AM  Show Profile Send localdude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will not eat them until the water gets at least in the upper 60's. The colder, the salter, the better in my opinion.

"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
Go to Top of Page

Fishwhistle

985 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  11:36:48 AM  Show Profile Send Fishwhistle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MMMMmmmmmm OYSTERS...... I think That Capt Dons over off Savannah hwy. has good prices. I forget how much but last year after shopping around that was the cheapest place for selects. I don't think after current events they will be as cheap as the have been in the past. There is always Bulls Bay clusters once the water gets cold.
Go to Top of Page

PiZero
Intermediate Member

61 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2005 :  02:51:14 AM  Show Profile Send PiZero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last years price for a bushel from the McClellanville area at Carolina Seafood (843 887-3713) was $14-$16. I can't imagine it will be too much higher this year. That said, even though it's an "r" month, it been pretty hot and I agree with localdude about water temps being very important.

While you wait for oysters, I hear the shrimp are doing well. If you can stand to spend 1-2 hours heading shrimp, I recommend buying a 50 lb. 'boat run box' (heads on and unsorted) at Carolina Seafood (or anywhere else that will sell you one). The last 4 years we have bought at least one box and the price ranged from $100-$150 per box. A 50 lb. box gives you 32-35 lbs. of headed shrimp, so it comes out to $2.86-$4.69 per pound.
Go to Top of Page

coryphaena

658 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  08:19:21 AM  Show Profile Send coryphaena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to be stupid, but where's Carolina Seafood?

Go to Top of Page

dodmarlin

702 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  10:39:25 AM  Show Profile Send dodmarlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There on the creek where the shrimp boats dock.

Dark Star
Go to Top of Page

soup

2769 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  10:45:01 PM  Show Profile Send soup a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Carolina Seafood. On Oak Street-Mville. 9/20--$110 for 50 lbs of 21-25 heads-on off the boat.

No beer drinking, no southern boy companionship. But, ~30 lbs of good fresh shrimps, probably about 16 or so lbs of good chum.

Sounds pretty good to me.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CharlestonFishing.Com © CharlestonFishing.Com, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000