b

c

d

e

f

g

CharlestonFishing.Com
CharlestonFishing.Com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Your Space
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 To The South
 Beaufort / Hilton Head
 Surf Fishing Hilton Head mid-October
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jayclark

7 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  10:14:44 AM  Show Profile Send jayclark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could use some advice from the fine folk on Hilton Head Island. I'll be there the 2nd week of October and plan to bring my surf fishing gear. First time i've been at HHI in the fall and could use some education about what's running that time of year and what type of bait i should use? Best to fish at high tide I'm assuming? Best to fish early morning and late evening I assume?

Looking to do some fishing from the beach around Palmeto Dunes area. Sure would appreciate some advice. Can't wait to get there!

whtz7196

213 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  3:54:32 PM  Show Profile Send whtz7196 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have surf fished on the outside of hilton head a fair amount over the last 10 or so years and I have only caught a hand full of different species. Whiting, bluefish, and small sharks about rounds out what you can expect to catch over most of the surf at Hilton Head. I am sure that there are places to catch some other things but I don't know where they are. Some of the whiting that I have caught this time of year have been very good size. I mostly use cut shrimp and squid for the whiting and fresh cut mullet if I want to catch a shark.
Go to Top of Page

seabiscuit
Intermediate Member

99 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  5:36:13 PM  Show Profile Send seabiscuit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try low tide, its better....especially if its blowing.
Go to Top of Page

jayclark

7 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  7:48:02 PM  Show Profile Send jayclark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seabuscuit and whtz7196,

thanks for responding to my post. I appreciate the advice on species and bait. Never caught a whiting before and looking forward to that. I've fished the surf at HHI in the spring and have caught my fair share of sharks!

Advice on low tide was new to me. I've always fished high tide and never low tide. can't wait to try it!

btw: i'll be fishing with my nephew who's a DNR officer in Tennessee. He's never caught a shark before. I'm sure he'll never be able to say that again after this trip!
Go to Top of Page

Fox

21 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  8:25:37 PM  Show Profile Send Fox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've done a lot of fishing in Palmetto Dunes and found the best surf fishing is usually during the last couple hours of the incoming high tide. Dawn and dusk are best time of day but I think the tide is more important. Scout the beach at low tide to find some tide pools and then try to fish around those tide pools as they get covered by the incoming high tide. Cut mullet is the best bait, -the fresher the better. Cut shrimp and squid will work too. Use a two hook bottom rig.

You’ll likely catch sharks in the 1 to 15 lb range, stingrays up to 50 lb, small bluefish, whiting, and maybe a couple redfish(red drum) if you’re lucky. I caught a 25 lb redfish in the surf of Palmetto Dunes. I’ve had better luck with redfish in the surf during the spring rather than the fall.

You’ll probably find more action in the lagoons of Palmetto Dunes. They hold redfish, flounder, and even a few small Tarpon.
Go to Top of Page

jayclark

7 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  08:54:09 AM  Show Profile Send jayclark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fox,

Thanks for the info. Great post from you! In terms of the mullet, is there a place to actually buy fresh mullet at a bait store or will i need to catch it via net? My only experience with mullet is cast netting from a boat or buying it frozen.... how successful is the cast netting from the beach? any insight most appreciated....

jay
Go to Top of Page

Fox

21 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  7:21:18 PM  Show Profile Send Fox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No problem, -glad I could help. You should be able to catch some with your cast net in the lagoons. Just make some blind casts along the bank of the lagoons and you should net some pretty good size ones. You won’t likely see big schools in the lagoons but they do cruise the bank in small groups and are usually large in size, -not finger size. You won’t catch a net full, -just a couple here and a couple there. You’ll probably have to make several casts in various spots before you catch some. I’ve never tried casting in the surf or buying them live/fresh. If you make enough blind casts in the lagoons you’ll find them. If all else fails, you should be able to catch some in the freezer at Wal-Mart.
Go to Top of Page

Piscador

681 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2005 :  12:17:46 PM  Show Profile Send Piscador a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL That's so true. I never thought I'd see the day when a man could buy bait from a Wal-Mart.
Go to Top of Page

jayclark

7 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  2:41:43 PM  Show Profile Send jayclark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Piscador,

You think that's funny, i saw a coke machine dispenser the other day at Bass Pro Shop in Atlanta that dispensed nightcrawlers, mill worms, ect. just put your folding money in the slot and press the button and out pops the bait. Thought i had just about seen it all until then!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CharlestonFishing.Com © 2000-2013 CharlestonFishing.com, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000