b

c

d

e

f

g

CharlestonFishing.Com
CharlestonFishing.Com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Your Space
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 CharlestonFishing.Com
 Boats and Motors
 Sea Hunt vs. Grady
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Creek Freak
Intermediate Member

76 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  4:52:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Creek Freak's Homepage Send Creek Freak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking at 207 Sea Hunt vs. 18 Grady center console. 207 much more boat for the money, but I hear the Grady ride cant be beat. Any thoughts.

Phin
Prolific Poster

13201 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  5:12:24 PM  Show Profile Send Phin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think a Grady's overrated more than anything short of a Boston Whaler. Take them for a trial in a head sea, and you'll see there is a huge difference between the two boats' rides. The Sea Hunt (Lexington, SC) are good peoples, and you won't be disappointed.
-my $.02

Luke 8:22-25
"Miss Phin" 1985 17' Aquasport Osprey, 2005 Johnson 90 oil burner
Go to Top of Page

RWL

2073 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  5:28:41 PM  Show Profile Send RWL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Grady is a much better built boat and will ride better. (I own a Sea Hunt 212). Just depends if you have more money or A$$!
Go to Top of Page

THE PLUM

1131 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  6:40:43 PM  Show Profile Send THE PLUM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Grady is a top end boat!! The craftmanship is fantastic! and they hold the value. Grady's are great boats. But I will have to say that the cuddy models ride ROUGH in a head sea due to sitting up front. The center console's ride fantastic.
Go to Top of Page

Scoutin 4 Goodies

5150 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  6:48:35 PM  Show Profile Send Scoutin 4 Goodies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is your primary function for the boat? All around family boat or srictly fishing? Grady will have better resale. Check out Scout which makes very comparable boat with the all around comforts or contender for the best ride. Hwilcox gave us a head start a month or so ago from the edisto 60 and ran us down and passed us with his 21 contender before we got back to the hill. Those boats haul a$$ offshore but there is no where to sit and very little place to get out of the sun. Do a sea trial in rough conditions so you know what you are getting. A Sea Ray runs good on a calm lake.

Yes Mam I am drunk! But you are ugly, and tomorrow I won't be drunk anymore. - W. Churchill
Scout 242 Abaco F225 Yamaha
Go to Top of Page

Creek Freak
Intermediate Member

76 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  7:51:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Creek Freak's Homepage Send Creek Freak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looked at both models the other day. The Sea Hunt has a lot more room in the bow and the live well is in the back of the boat + for me. I fish inshore and nearshore for kings ect. The 18 Grady runs around 5k more than the 20ft Sea Hunt seems like the Sea Hunt might be a better deal. I'm going to wet test them both friday
Go to Top of Page

creekrat186

493 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  9:10:31 PM  Show Profile Send creekrat186 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
creekfreak, did you look at the sea hunt 202 or 212. i have a 186, but was thinking about upsizing on my next one. i was just wondering the differences were. i found it odd that they make 3 center consoles in the 20-21 foot range. what made you decied on the 207???

tight lines, cold beer
Go to Top of Page

Creek Freak
Intermediate Member

76 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  9:39:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Creek Freak's Homepage Send Creek Freak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the 207 seemed to have more room and storage. I also liked the high sides and more flare in the bow.
Go to Top of Page

Creek Freak
Intermediate Member

76 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  9:41:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Creek Freak's Homepage Send Creek Freak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
look at their site 207 must be a new model
Go to Top of Page

RWL

2073 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  9:46:35 PM  Show Profile Send RWL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
creek freak, Like I said, I have the 212 and have had no problems with it. I do the same type of fishing you describe and even take it out to the ledge sometimes. Do yourself a favor and get the trim tabs!! It makes a world of difference. Also, if you keep the boat outside, get the custum cover from Laportes (or similar cover). You won't be sorry. I would consider the 212 just for the extra room for the fishing. I have the Yammie 150 two stroke, but would think about the four stroke now (didn't have i when I bought mine). The 150 will push the 212 in the low 40's full of gas and loaded. It is a great all around boat. If you have any more questions just ask or send a pm.
Go to Top of Page

Creek Freak
Intermediate Member

76 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  10:14:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Creek Freak's Homepage Send Creek Freak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RWL,thanks for the info. How has the hardware held up. And is the bait well large enough for few dozen haden. I have always had boats 17 or smaller and there is not enough room nor enough water supply for keeping baits from getting the red nose
Go to Top of Page

RedTop

168 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  11:27:23 PM  Show Profile Send RedTop a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Phin

I think a Grady's overrated more than anything short of a Boston Whaler. Take them for a trial in a head sea, and you'll see there is a huge difference between the two boats' rides. The Sea Hunt (Lexington, SC) are good peoples, and you won't be disappointed.
-my $.02

There are very few 20' botes that have a good ride in a head sea (if any). You knock a hole in a Sea Hunt 15 miles from home and your arse better be one heck of a swimmer.

RedTop
21' Outrage
Go to Top of Page

Silver_Creek
Intermediate Member

125 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  12:33:15 AM  Show Profile Send Silver_Creek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i have a '89 grady and it runs great...been on newer ones and they are great to.....trust me-if you get a grady you WONT be dissappointed

20' Grady White Overnighter
150 Evinrude

T1GHT L1NES
Go to Top of Page

stonoman
Prolific Poster

12847 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  07:08:48 AM  Show Profile Send stonoman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a 2003 Sea Hunt 212 and love the rig.I put a 225 Yammy on it because I swear all dealers underpower a rig to keep the price down.My 225 pushes me along at 50 plus with a full load of gas and 3 people.Put tabs on it.If I decide to get another in a few years I will get the closest thing to what I have right now.

Stonoman
Go to Top of Page

RWL

2073 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  07:58:19 AM  Show Profile Send RWL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They are right about the Grady and the ride, but I didn't or couldn't pay 15,000 -17,000 more for the same size boat. I don't care what kind of boat you have, if you knock a big enough hole in it 15 miles out, you will be waiting for someone to pick you up! The bottom line is take your time and try to think of everything that matters to YOU. After considering that and money, buy the best one for YOU and it will be the right boat!

Stonoman, the 212 with a 150 is not underpowered either! You must liek to go fast! Once again, it is all in personal preference.
Go to Top of Page

NEVER SATISFIED
Intermediate Member

62 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  08:38:40 AM  Show Profile Send NEVER SATISFIED a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Buy a SeaHunt!!!!! I took a 17 foot to the keys one time and honestly felt like the boat was at least a 21. So much room, easy to maintain, and a great ride. As for Grady White. Boats are like shoes. They will all serve the same function, it's just a matter of how jealous you want your neighbor to be of you!! If I had not gotten such a deal on my Seafox, I would have bought the 25 SeaHunt.

RUNNIN OUT
21 SEAFOX OFFSHORE
150 JOHNSON OCEANRUNNER
TEAM CUSTOM HOME SOUND
Go to Top of Page

WingDragger

345 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  08:44:46 AM  Show Profile Send WingDragger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the Sea Hunt 220 with F225. Love the boat. A new Grady in the same size was not an option due to price or I would have got a Grady. Sea Hunt's craftsmanship doesn't even compare to that of Grady White's. Grady Whites are built MUCH, MUCH better. Heck, my boat's name is Knot-A-Grady
Go to Top of Page

TUNANUT

1246 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  09:01:26 AM  Show Profile Send TUNANUT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've owned my Grady for over 15 years and it has saved my life more than once. It's built like a tank and I trust it enough to take it on many overnight canyon trips (90NM offshore). That said, when it came time to buy an INSHORE boat, I did not buy the Grady because many manufactures are building boats that will do the same thing for alot less money and I have no intention of taking it offshore. I love my Key West. It has all the fishing features i wanted and the family stuff my wife demanded. I get alot more use out of the 2020 than the Grady these days also. BUT if you are thinking of a boat to use offshore regularly, money will mean very little to you when a tstorm throws you 6-8 footers headsea all the way home. Grady's are some of the best boats built anywhere and you will not be dissapointed as an owner using it or when you go to sell it, or when you get caught in da tstorm. Good luck

241 GRADY WHITE
2020 KEY WEST

Go to Top of Page

lanescinlet

229 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  09:11:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit lanescinlet's Homepage Send lanescinlet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Sea Hunt & Grady are both nice boats. Both have a variable degree dead rise so both should have a good ride. Grady adds an extra lifting stake to get bow lift. A small difference in hull design doesn't require this on the Sea Hunt. Lift stakes catch air and water at re-entry, so a slight pound is felt. Either boat should have trim tabs added to allow the hull to do what it was designed to do. Grady uses wood stringers. Sea Hunt fiberglass stringer system simular to Triton Boats. Not sure about transom material on the Grady ( I'm guessing wood, hence the 5/16 aluminum added for bracing )but Sea Hunt uses Coosa. Both are foam filled for basic floatation. 18 gal.live well is standard on the Sea Hunt, looks like the the Grady has an optional 11 gal. live well. More water, more bait! Almost 3 feet more boat for the same or less money?
What's the question again?
Ride the Sea Hunt you won't be disappointed.
Keep an eye on this company, they're fixing to go places. Moved to Shop road in Columbia into the old Hydra-Sport Plant.
Go to Top of Page

WingDragger

345 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  09:21:18 AM  Show Profile Send WingDragger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would a 3 month old Grady White's deck have these showing up?

Go to Top of Page

redeye

1107 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  09:22:48 AM  Show Profile Send redeye a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With the Grady you pay the premium for their infamous rotting transoms. The Scout 20 is a much better finshed and riding boat.

31' Contender-named Shin Dig
Go to Top of Page

Phin
Prolific Poster

13201 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  09:37:20 AM  Show Profile Send Phin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There are very few 20' botes that have a good ride in a head sea (if any). You knock a hole in a Sea Hunt 15 miles from home and your arse better be one heck of a swimmer.

RedTop
21' Outrage

Your statement about 20' boats in a head sea is very true if you're talking in terms of your experience with your 21' Boston Whaler in your sig.
I have been to Y-73 with a Sea Hunt 18' CC as my buddy boat. My 17 foot Aquasport took the water just as well if not better. You cannot judge a boat's ride by it's length. I have been behind a 27' in really bad 2-3' chop going out in the mornings, and the people on that boat tell me that my 17' was doing just as good as the 19 and 20' center consoles all going out. The only difference is that with my boat's freeboard height I get soaked to a greater extent. I am not by any means bragging on my meager boat's capabilities- just making a point.
You've got to get them both in the water to know how they ride. If you want to spend the extra money on a 20' whaler or a grady for the name and overrated-driven "resale," buy a used Contender or Donzi instead. They are not overrated by any means, and their good resale is rational.
Like someone was saying about Hwilcox's Purple Hooter 21' Contender-
I'd say more for it than they did.... I guarantee you that he can outrun a 25' Boston Whaler Outrage or Grady 23 or 24' in a 3 to 4 foot headsea. Anything bigger than that, and everybody will have to slow down to 22 knots unless they have a Cat or something heavy enough to drive through instead of over.
As far as being able to swim.... Sea Hunts are filled with foam as well- just like your unsinkable legend- if I'm not mistaken. And so is my old Aquasport.

Edit: Wingdragger: I love it!
Premium, top of the line? BWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I really have not heard of anybody with a bad experience with a Sea Hunt, and they have been around long enough for things to show up if they were going to.

Edited by - Phin on 07/26/2006 09:42:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

Misplaced Priority

1494 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  11:28:03 AM  Show Profile Send Misplaced Priority a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure this will not be a popular statement here. But, I had a 22' Sea Hunt Navigator and guys, I have to say, I was very unhappy with the quality. After a year, all sorts of problems began to show up on the boat. Seels was very helpful getting Sea Hunt to address the issues, but I should not have been having those problems anyway. I was glad to offload that boat when I did. If you opt for the Grady, I highly recommend Seels. I went with a Scout this time and so far, I am very happy with the quality.

Prepare to be boarded!
Go to Top of Page

WingDragger

345 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  11:37:55 AM  Show Profile Send WingDragger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Phin

[quote]
Edit: Wingdragger: I love it!

What did you love?
Go to Top of Page

Creek Freak
Intermediate Member

76 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  11:51:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Creek Freak's Homepage Send Creek Freak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
anyone else have problems with craftmanship ie. cracks in deck, hardware. I am going to wet test them both this friday. I would hate to buy a boat that is going to fall apart after 2 years.
Go to Top of Page

Phin
Prolific Poster

13201 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  12:19:30 PM  Show Profile Send Phin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WingDragger

What did you love?

Your pic of a 3 mo. old Grady.
Not seriously love. Sarcasticly love.
Sorry you are having those kinds of issues with a new bote.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CharlestonFishing.Com © CharlestonFishing.Com, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000