b

c

d

e

f

g

CharlestonFishing.Com
CharlestonFishing.Com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Your Space
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 CharlestonFishing.Com
 Fishing Discussion
 Pinfish Traps?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fish-n-kid

971 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  5:58:40 PM  Show Profile Send fish-n-kid a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What are the rules or regulations? Anyone? Phin I know you have the info.

This message has been approved by Fish-n-Kid.

I fish alot more than you.

Freshwater is for drinking.

Phin
Prolific Poster

13121 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  6:29:30 PM  Show Profile Send Phin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SC Marine Resources Act of 2000

Section 5 - Use of Fishing Equipment

§ 50-5-550. Trap buoy size, material, catch release feature and identification tag or other identifying information requirements; seizure of unmarked traps.

(A) Other than minnow traps not used for a commercial purpose, and traps with lines attached to a shore based structure and not used for a commercial purpose, each trap set in the waters of this State must have attached to it a buoy made of solid, buoyant material which does not sink if punctured or if cracked. A spherical or nonspherical primary buoy must be attached to each trap. A nonspherical buoy must be at least ten inches in length and five inches in diameter or width. A spherical buoy must be at least six inches in diameter. No plastic, metal, or glass bottles or jugs may be used as a buoy, and no buoy attached may be made of a material which could sink if punctured or cracked. No floating line or rope may be used. Minnow traps used for commercial purposes must utilize floats no smaller than five inches marked with the operator's name and bait dealer license number.

(B) The department may require that each trap set in the salt waters of this State have catch release features and identification tags designated by the department.

(C) Each licensed commercial saltwater fisherman licensed to fish traps must acquire an identification number assigned by the department. No person may acquire or attempt to acquire more than one identification number. The assigned identification number must be burned or branded on each primary trap buoy in numerals of at least two inches in height, must be clearly legible, must be in a color contrasting that of the buoy, and must be unobstructed and visible when the buoy is at rest in the water.

(D) The buoy of traps used by individuals for personal use as provided by law in lieu of the identification number required on commercial traps must bear the owner's name and current address and must be yellow in color.

(E) A trap not marked in accordance with this section is contraband and must be seized and disposed of as provided in this chapter.

§ 50-5-550 SC Code (1976 as amended)

So is it a minnow trap or a fish trap?
Is it attached to a fixed structure or floating?
Is it for personal use or commercial use?

On an ancilliary note, are pinfish "gamefish?"
I did not post the relevant law if you think they are "gamefish."

When in doubt, ask your friendly neighborhood DNR officer about the above.

Luke 8:22-25

Edited by - Phin on 12/03/2007 6:31:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Phin
Prolific Poster

13121 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  6:40:20 PM  Show Profile Send Phin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also,

SECTION 50-5-555. Trap placement and attention requirements; department inspection, removal, seizure and disposal.

(A) No trap may be placed within six hundred feet of a public boat ramp or launching area.

(B) No trap may be set so as to leave any portion of the trap dry at any stage of the tide.

(C) No trap may be unattended for more than five days. Without having written permission of the owner, no person may retrieve or remove catch from any trap the buoy of which is marked with a number assigned by the department to another person.

(D) No trap may be set so as to obstruct navigation in any creek or other navigable water course, access point, or mooring point. A trap determined by the department to be in violation of this section may be removed by the department and disposed of as provided in this chapter.

(E) The department may inspect traps for compliance with this section at any time. If the department finds any trap:

(1) set in violation of this section;

(2) containing excessive dead catch or only dead catch; or

(3) with buoy, line, or trap displaying excessive marine growth, the trap is contraband and must be seized and disposed of as provided in this chapter .

We used to catch lots of pinfish in our crab pots we'd throw in the saltwater pond at Edisto beach.

Why not get your cane pole and some frozen shrimp instead?

Go to Top of Page

Gut Wrench

2949 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  6:49:15 PM  Show Profile Send Gut Wrench a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so can i or can't i have one in my slip?
Go to Top of Page

Phin
Prolific Poster

13121 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  7:23:51 PM  Show Profile Send Phin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Ranger

so can i or can't i have one in my slip?

I know someone who has put a pinfish trap out at ripley light before. That person did not catch any pinfish in said trap.

Go to Top of Page

Gut Wrench

2949 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  7:32:01 PM  Show Profile Send Gut Wrench a Private Message  Reply with Quote
theres a new sheriff in town and the pin fish will be proud to be in my trap.
Go to Top of Page

NetGirl

2642 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  7:46:31 PM  Show Profile Send NetGirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And the otters will thank you for the free meal....
Go to Top of Page

Gut Wrench

2949 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  8:34:15 PM  Show Profile Send Gut Wrench a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NetGirl

i'm still working on that little problem..
Go to Top of Page

fish-n-kid

971 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  8:40:49 PM  Show Profile Send fish-n-kid a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's funny.

And thanks Phin.

Go to Top of Page

NetGirl

2642 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  8:52:31 PM  Show Profile Send NetGirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Funny, but true....have LR tell you some of the otter stories we told him the other day. And the ones about Louie, he is not shy either.
Go to Top of Page

fish-n-kid

971 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  10:17:41 PM  Show Profile Send fish-n-kid a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Funny, but true....have LR tell you some of the otter stories we told him the other day. And the ones about Louie, he is not shy either.

I'm sure I will get to meet them sooner or later depending on mother nature.

Go to Top of Page

Gut Wrench

2949 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  05:56:07 AM  Show Profile Send Gut Wrench a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fish-n-kid

quote:

looks like this will be the weekend...round up the troops we have grouper to catch...
Go to Top of Page

purposeone
Captain

1361 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2007 :  8:28:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit purposeone's Homepage Send purposeone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you figure out how to get them to trap.....please do tell.

Purpose One Charters
Captain Rick
www.purposeonecharters.com
purposeone@comcast.net

You can email me if you have questions.
Go to Top of Page

Hooked Up
Captain

368 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  10:12:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hooked Up's Homepage Send Hooked Up a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Ranger

quote:
Originally posted by fish-n-kid

quote:

looks like this will be the weekend...round up the troops we have grouper to catch...

Please keep my "special" technique a secret. and don't let fish n kid see my style

Stop talkin and get on the water!
Go to Top of Page

fishcrazy

757 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  10:57:48 AM  Show Profile Send fishcrazy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sabiki rig or small gold hooks with 5-6 hooks on at once and tipped with LITTLE pieces of shrimp. If there are pinfish in the area you will load up the boat quickly.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CharlestonFishing.Com © 2000-2013 CharlestonFishing.com, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000