b

c

d

e

f

g

CharlestonFishing.Com
CharlestonFishing.Com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Your Space
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 CharlestonFishing.Com
 Boats and Motors
 Fuel Economy: Etec vs. Yamaha vs. Suzuki
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Phin
Prolific Poster

13201 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  11:42:27 AM  Show Profile Send Phin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought there have been serious issues going on with the F350's....

Didn't I read some things somewhere?????

My knowledge of the Suzukis is that they have more midrange thrust because of the gear ratios and bigger props. I would very much rather have zuki 150's or 175's than yamahas or etecs. The 175 zuki will probably feel like the yamaha F200 as far as torque and power midrange. I know that going from a 150 yamaha to a 200 is worlds of difference in torque but not much on top end because of the extra weight I guess. Not so much the case when you go from a 150 zuki to a 200 zuki.

They are also cheaper than Yamaha 4stroke and etec up front. I know of several instances where factory support was lacking when there were serious problems, but there have been no catastrophic failures that I know of... and those problems were corrected by suzuki. There is a large amount of dealers and technicians around that can work on suzuki just as there are yamaha guys.

Suzuki is the #1 outboard seller in the world. So if you want safety in numbers-
You could go beyond the popularity of yamaha around here....

Luke 8:22-25

Edited by - Phin on 01/17/2008 11:43:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

jtm

653 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  3:48:25 PM  Show Profile Send jtm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally I would go Yammy or Suzuki no question. I ran a Etec for a couple of days recently in the Virgin Islands and wasn't that impressed. Don't get me wrong, I think the Etec is better than the "older" Yammy HPDI series, but not that much better.

I would eliminate Etec and focus on Suziki and Yamaha. I think you will find the fuel consumption will be very comparable between these two. 90% of the people looking will want a 4 stroke....especially looking a couple years down the road.

I have twin Yamaha 225's and absolutely love them. You can't go wrong with Yamaha...period. I hear great things about Suzuki too. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Again, resell will be better with Yamaha.

I would definitely take the fuel consumption that you will get with a grain of salt. I get a kick out of the #'s people claim cruising at 40 kts....etc. I have never seen a boat "cruise" at 40 kts burning 2 mpg in the ocean in my life. Also, the fuel #'s you see on the websites is BS too. I have used several different props and tried all kind of things and I can't get the same fuel consumption Yamaha claims on my exact boat with exact engines online. They must have clocked those #'s with 5 gallons in the tank with a 20kt wind behind them, outgoing tide, with a midget driving.
Go to Top of Page

247casey

259 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  8:26:55 PM  Show Profile Send 247casey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
VERADOS RULE!!! this should give this topic a couple more pages . seriously my '05 verados absolutly sucked team old school can attest to that being that we fish tournys together and have actually been on the boat with alarms blaring and the throttle automaticaly reducing but i now have '08 verados courtesy of mercury and i have put 2 1/2 hours on them and they are alot quieter and an average of 5-6 gph (going off the gauge)better wait until the season starts and i log in 300hrs then i will be able give the real scoop if these suck they will be for sale with all controls and i will be slappin some yammi 350's on that rascal

05'31 contender
08'twin 275 verados
"Redemption"
Go to Top of Page

tidewater216

176 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  9:13:59 PM  Show Profile Send tidewater216 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i have an 07 150 suzuki 4 stroke.i love it. when i go offshore i usally burn about 34 gal of gas thats with trolling, bottom fishing ect and motor running all the time thats usually a 12 hr day when i go. i run the boat on avg at about 32 mph goin out and in. it seem to me that i average about 4 to 5 mpg

tidewater216 150 suzuki 4 stroker
Go to Top of Page

Mahalo-Kai

160 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  10:45:19 PM  Show Profile Send Mahalo-Kai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SOLD on e-tec's.
I'm full throttle on a set of 250's. I replaced them in May 07, roughtly have 170 hrs on each and have run all types of motors. 4-stroke don't compair. Believe me I push these motor's and no complaints,(quit, dependable, get you out of the hole and fuel effectient!)

Tight Lines

350 S/F Marlin
twin 250 etec's
Go to Top of Page

Cracker

5205 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  11:50:14 PM  Show Profile Send Cracker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mahalo-Kai

SOLD on e-tec's.
I'm full throttle on a set of 250's. I replaced them in May 07, roughtly have 170 hrs on each and have run all types of motors. 4-stroke don't compair. Believe me I push these motor's and no complaints,(quit, dependable, get you out of the hole and fuel effectient!)

Tight Lines

350 S/F Marlin
twin 250 etec's

How do 4 strokes not compare? Specifically? That is a broad and bold statement. I run a guy's boat with twin F-250's and it will (**() near jump out of the water if you give it a bunch of throttle. With that said, hole shot would not be a top of the list priority for an offshore guy....at least not me.

As far as fuel goes, all research I have done puts the ETEC at slightly more burn than a comparable 4 stroke... at best it is even.

ETEC are much quieter than regular 2 strokes, but a little louder than a comparable 4 stroke. They are maybe a little quieter than an Optimax.

The thing that would concern me around here would be resale. A lot of folks will not even think about looking at a boat with 2 strokes...regardless of what the make is...

Don't take this the wrong way, but are you on any type of program with BRP? Did you get the motors locally?

This is not a chawade...

We need total concentwation....
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CharlestonFishing.Com © CharlestonFishing.Com, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000