b

c

d

e

f

g

CharlestonFishing.Com
CharlestonFishing.Com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Your Space
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 CharlestonFishing.Com
 Inshore Reports
 blueclaw crabs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

wahoo26

8 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  1:41:10 PM  Show Profile Send wahoo26 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We are new to Summerville. We are from NJ. Where and how do they catch blueclaws around here? We have a 22' mako so we'll be crabbing from the boat.

JordanOnaYak

1298 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  1:45:26 PM  Show Profile Send JordanOnaYak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Get a saltwater fishing license, two crab traps, chicken guts, and go to any boat landing on salt water. You will catch crabs.

14' Pamlico 140 Angler w/ rudder
Switching to lead-free tackle.
Go to Top of Page

23Sailfish
Prolific Poster

17455 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  2:27:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit 23Sailfish's Homepage Send 23Sailfish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Step 1. Go back to NJ.

Step 2. Get a saltwater fishing license, two crab traps, chicken guts

Step 3. Go to any boat landing on salt water. You will catch crabs.

I'm just kidding....

J.O.Y. told you right. Plenty of Atlantic blue crabs in Charleston. Numbers will increase as the temp gets a little warmer.

I'm back and I've promised to behave this time.
I want to be like Fritz when I grow up.
Edisto-Fisher is my hero...internetly speaking.
My heart is in Antarctica.
Lone Ranger is a tool....man.

2005 236 Sailfish
225 Yamaha 4-stroke
Go to Top of Page

Rapchizzle

3973 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  2:33:36 PM  Show Profile Send Rapchizzle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
exactly what jordan said. I like to use menhaden and mullet as well because they're nice and oily. If you stuff your traps full of that junk, toss em over the boat into saltwater and leave em for a bit, you'll get em. Check and rebait em every few days.

DNR says you can only do two per saltwater license(i'm not sure if that means two per boat or two per saltwater license on the boat...) and you need to have a yellow bouy attached with your name address and a number written on it.

15" Duracraft
25HP Johnson
It gets me around...
Go to Top of Page

wahoo26

8 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  2:47:16 PM  Show Profile Send wahoo26 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for the info
Go to Top of Page

Slowgs

31 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  09:59:43 AM  Show Profile Send Slowgs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Traps are nice, but the easiest way is to tie a piece of chicken on a strring with a 2 oz weight, and put it on the bottom two hours before low tide. U need a bucket, a net, and chicken on a string. U will also need a cooler of beers and a fat ass. i usually catch 15-20 an hour in the summer. In a month or so, the crabbing should really start to pick up. Crab til two hours after low. I always just go to a dock and crab so you dont have to put the boat in, but i am lazy as hell. Put out at least 3 lines around the dock and check them every 3-5 minutes. I use smaller pieces of chicken so you can feel the crabs on the line easier.
Go to Top of Page

marshmellow

1354 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  10:12:29 AM  Show Profile Send marshmellow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wahoo, what I have done in the past and it has worked well, is take four lines with weights and bait (chicken, fish heads) and tie them off of each corner of the boat. I head up a small creek that doesn't have a lot of obstructions in it and let the tide carry me along as the lines drag the bottom. Check the lines often and have a dip net ready. You can just about pull lines continuously and I have filled two five gallon buckets in no time.
Go to Top of Page

duckcommander

5484 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  1:01:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit duckcommander's Homepage Send duckcommander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have done a lot of good on a falling tide along the grass line. I will usually keep a couple of weighted crablines on the boat for days when the fishing is slow. I will pull the boat parallel to the bank and toss the bait, usually dead mullet, up against the grass. I will keep fishing and check them every couple of minutes. I have come close to filling the cooler that way.

Low tide is probably the best though. Crabs are more concentrated.

Oh yeah, go back to NJ.

HOW 'BOUT THEM DAWGS!!!
Go to Top of Page

edisto9871

950 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  2:16:23 PM  Show Profile Send edisto9871 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FWIW, I've never heard anybody from SC call them "blueclaw" crabs. They're just "blue crabs".

If somebody called them blue-claw crabs, I'd know they aren't from around here, and hadn't been here long.

Just trying to learn every bit I can about saltwater fishing...
Go to Top of Page

TieOneOn

451 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  2:18:41 PM  Show Profile Send TieOneOn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This guy is an alias. Three goofy posts asking about fishing info, blueclaw crabs, and shrimping in the same day all in the Inshore Reports.

Maybe someone trying to start a marathon post.
Go to Top of Page

duckcommander

5484 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  2:38:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit duckcommander's Homepage Send duckcommander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TieOneOn

This guy is an alias. Three goofy posts asking about fishing info, blueclaw crabs, and shrimping in the same day all in the Inshore Reports.

Would not be surprised. You could be right. However, if someone were to create an alias, surely they would say they were from Ohio. All them Ohians movin' down here feedin' my mosquitoes. It is pretty ridiculous.

HOW 'BOUT THEM DAWGS!!!
Go to Top of Page

6FT. N GLASSY

4115 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  5:07:43 PM  Show Profile Send 6FT. N GLASSY a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TieOneOn

im thinkin you have a very keen prospective on whats going on around here. especially the im from NEW JERSEY part.

The older I get, the better I was.
Go to Top of Page

mattie g
Intermediate Member

95 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  12:23:34 PM  Show Profile Send mattie g a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For what it's worth...

Being from Jersey myself, I can vouch that folks in Jersey call them "blue claws".
Go to Top of Page

wstrickland1

1419 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  3:50:44 PM  Show Profile Send wstrickland1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by edisto9871

FWIW, I've never heard anybody from SC call them "blueclaw" crabs. They're just "blue crabs".

If somebody called them blue-claw crabs, I'd know they aren't from around here, and hadn't been here long.

no worse than it now being cool to call spottail bass reds or redfish. This is Charleston SC. They were never called anything but spottails until they became cool to catch so now everyone feels the need to call them by the floridian or gulfidian name. I've been harboring that for a long time now.I feel better. I really wanna puke when I hear native Charlestonians calling them "reds" or "redfish"

Grady White 222
Go to Top of Page

kahuna2114

473 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2008 :  12:07:49 AM  Show Profile Send kahuna2114 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wahoo, where from in Jersey???
Go to Top of Page

edisto9871

950 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2008 :  12:13:37 AM  Show Profile Send edisto9871 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mattie g

For what it's worth...

Being from Jersey myself, I can vouch that folks in Jersey call them "blue claws".

For what it's worth, if you check my post, I said I've never heard anybody from South Carolina call them "blue claw" crabs. I didn't mention anything about what you call them up in New Jersey.

Just trying to learn every bit I can about saltwater fishing...

Edited by - edisto9871 on 04/20/2008 12:50:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

6FT. N GLASSY

4115 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2008 :  08:50:53 AM  Show Profile Send 6FT. N GLASSY a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wstrickland1

no worse than it now being cool to call spottail bass reds or redfish. This is Charleston SC. They were never called anything but spottails until they became cool to catch so now everyone feels the need to call them by the floridian or gulfidian name. I've been harboring that for a long time now.I feel better. I really wanna puke when I hear native Charlestonians calling them "reds" or "redfish"

Grady White 222

this is true and i am as guilty as anyone. not sure when the transition took place but i will try to do better
Go to Top of Page

wahoo26

8 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2008 :  08:55:20 AM  Show Profile Send wahoo26 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm from Keyport NJ
Go to Top of Page

wstrickland1

1419 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2008 :  09:36:58 AM  Show Profile Send wstrickland1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 6FT. N GLASSY

quote:
Originally posted by wstrickland1

Grady White 222

this is true and i am as guilty as anyone. not sure when the transition took place but i will try to do better

to be honest, I find myself doing it. I think that's why it strikes a nerve

Grady White 222
Go to Top of Page

breeze106

38 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2008 :  12:02:43 PM  Show Profile Send breeze106 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Wahoo, welcome to SC. I'm originally from Neptune NJ (Shark River Inlet),as far as crabbing there are many places and many ways to do them. You will find the crabbing is great down here.I bet you miss all them blues,stripers and fluke from the bay...good luck

19 Carolina Skiff
Go to Top of Page

spotail
Intermediate Member

113 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2008 :  5:29:21 PM  Show Profile Send spotail a Private Message  Reply with Quote
we got our nets from wall mart. insteard of using just string with a piece of chicked tied to the end if you pull to fast the crab comes off. so we get the ones from walmart that has the net at the bottom.

175 Pioneer Bay Sport
Go to Top of Page

mattie g
Intermediate Member

95 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  8:43:32 PM  Show Profile Send mattie g a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edisto9871

For what it's worth, if you check my post, I said I've never heard anybody from South Carolina call them "blue claw" crabs. I didn't mention anything about what you call them up in New Jersey.

OK. I didn't mean anything by what I said, so I hope you didn't take it as such. It's all good - nothing to see here...
Go to Top of Page

DolphinD

2549 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  2:37:17 PM  Show Profile Send DolphinD a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wahoo26

We are new to Summerville. We are from NJ. Where and how do they catch blueclaws around here? We have a 22' mako so we'll be crabbing from the boat.

1.Hitch the boat to the truck.

2.Put in at Folly Beach boat landing.

3.Have Fun.

4.Put Boat back on Trailer.

5.Stop at Crosby's Seafood on Folly Road.

6.Give the nice people there some money, they will give you crabs. (the good kind, not the itchy kind, you can get plenty of that off Spruill Ave.)

Enjoy, it doesn't get any easier than that!

DD

Go Buckeyes!!!! No, Seriously, GO!!!
Go to Top of Page

PigginOut

3742 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  3:07:31 PM  Show Profile Send PigginOut a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Put catfish bite in cage...crab eat...crab like....

Go to Top of Page

littlebit

1257 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  5:06:53 PM  Show Profile  Click to see littlebit's MSN Messenger address  Send littlebit a Yahoo! Message Send littlebit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PigginOut

Put catfish bite in cage...crab eat...crab like....

Now thats funny

16'Fisher W\F25 Yammi & 198B Sea King W\F115 Yammi (kitchen pass)
Go to Top of Page

oristorob
Intermediate Member

102 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2008 :  08:15:57 AM  Show Profile Send oristorob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No license needed for crabs.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CharlestonFishing.Com © CharlestonFishing.Com, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000