b

c

d

e

f

g

CharlestonFishing.Com
CharlestonFishing.Com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Your Space
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 CharlestonFishing.Com
 Shrimping
 Deep Hole Shrimping
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lineman1023
Intermediate Member

109 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  8:48:39 PM  Show Profile Send lineman1023 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I need advice on shrimping in deep water (20 ft.) and where I would go to do this. I heard of it being done but did'nt get the details. Can anyone give me advice?

Dragonslayer

873 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  10:07:34 PM  Show Profile Send Dragonslayer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure I've read penfishin talk about this in the past. Perhaps she'll make an appearance and shed some light. If not, send her a PM.

“A ship is always referred to as she because it costs so much to keep one in paint and powder”
Admiral Chester W. Nimitz
Go to Top of Page

XTRACTOR

33 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  08:59:58 AM  Show Profile Send XTRACTOR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
do a search at the top right. Look in shrimping section and you will see tons of old threads on deephole shrimping.
Go to Top of Page

headdigger

181 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  09:15:16 AM  Show Profile Send headdigger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You usually deep hole shrimp after the water cools down a bit. More knowledgeable folks can tell you what the temperature range should be. I've done well in November. But I'm no expert on the subject. From what I've seen, it's hit or miss.
Go to Top of Page

penfishn
Prolific Poster

12716 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  03:23:16 AM  Show Profile Send penfishn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...........thats the only time i shrimp...except for bait...end of october through thanksgiving....usually cold enough to make sour fingers feel like ice....we find holes that drop down 12-20 feet or so and the shrimp usually settle there....right before or at low tide...they tend to disappear when the tide turns.....tape nets at bnottom to stay open longer and works better......good luck to you

miss'n fish'n
212 SEAHUNT
Go to Top of Page

FINSEEKER

279 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  10:10:27 AM  Show Profile Send FINSEEKER a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pen Are you allowed to tape the nets?

Finseeker Fishing Team
32' Fountain
Go to Top of Page

penfishn
Prolific Poster

12716 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  11:07:32 AM  Show Profile Send penfishn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
was told yes if its just to mend a" small area" or along the bottom weight line like we do...you can buy them with sewn webbing so its no difference. guys////please fell free to correct me if you have heard differently

miss'n fish'n
212 SEAHUNT
Go to Top of Page

lineman1023
Intermediate Member

109 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  1:23:27 PM  Show Profile Send lineman1023 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
penfishn,
I have never done this type of shrimping before. Where do you the best luck, bb or the harbor?
Go to Top of Page

seahunter

305 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  1:29:00 PM  Show Profile Send seahunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2-3 days before the full moon is the best time to catch shrimp in the deep holes, you are allowed to tape your net and normally september throughout december is good. curves and intersections in creeks are good places to find deep holes as well as pulling off deep in bigger water, just like fishing suddle changes in bottom contour will hold shrimp.

JTHAMES FAIRFAX, SC
Go to Top of Page

Jack Taylor

394 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  5:23:36 PM  Show Profile Send Jack Taylor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What do you mean by tapering the net?
Thanks,

Jack Taylor
Go to Top of Page

headdigger

181 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  8:56:10 PM  Show Profile Send headdigger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Taping your net is when you apply duck tape or packing tape around the outside edge of your net just above the lead line, Don't tape over the lines leading from the swivel above the horn to the lead line. Roll the net over and run a second strip of tape around the other side of the net sticky side of the tape to sticky side of the tape. The tape keeps the net from closing as it settles into deep water. Check a previous post by I think it was Penfishn. She posted photos of what a taped net is supposed to look like. If you don't have a taped net, you can forget catching them in twenty or more feet of water. I have tried it by throwing a taped net over one side of the boat and a untaped net over the other side one right behind the other. The untaped net didn't work.
Go to Top of Page

fishbowl

474 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  10:52:42 PM  Show Profile Send fishbowl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I deep hole shrimped last season and caught them without a taped net,a taped net helps keep the net open.I guess they both work.
Go to Top of Page

Luv2shrimp
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  11:06:56 PM  Show Profile Send Luv2shrimp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have heard that seasoned veterans at deep hole shrimping can actually SEE shrimp on their sonars. Is this true, and, if so, what do shrimp look like on a fish finder? I'm a newbie here when it comes to shrimping, but I'm a proficient fisherman and am somewhat experienced with sonar technology. Just trying to learn all that I can...........

When you lose the desire, you lose the will.....
Go to Top of Page

penfishn
Prolific Poster

12716 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2008 :  12:40:31 AM  Show Profile Send penfishn a Private Message  Reply with Quote

miss'n fish'n
212 SEAHUNT
Go to Top of Page

lineman1023
Intermediate Member

109 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2008 :  5:58:43 PM  Show Profile Send lineman1023 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would be interested in going when the time gets right if someone doesn't mind me following them. i always like to learn something new.
Go to Top of Page

Jack Taylor

394 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2008 :  7:15:32 PM  Show Profile Send Jack Taylor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info on the net taping and pics. I'm very interested in this. I know where plenty of deep holes in a lot of creeks are. I assume that you go during daylight. The thought of not having to mess with poles and bait seems good to me, although I did it for many years. I may give it a try when the water temps get right.

Jack Taylor
Go to Top of Page

seahunter

305 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  12:17:31 PM  Show Profile Send seahunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you can see the shrimp on your sonar but it varies a little as to what they look like on different units. on my garmin the shrimp look just like baitfish in a lake or a cloud suspended from the bottom. the guy that taught me has an eagle and they look like a pole or straight line extending from the bottom. most of the places i deep hole are 40-60ft so the taped net definitely helps.

JTHAMES FAIRFAX, SC
Go to Top of Page

RLS

256 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  4:47:40 PM  Show Profile Send RLS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are license and mesh size only an issue when baiting?
Go to Top of Page

seahunter

305 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2008 :  07:20:49 AM  Show Profile Send seahunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
correct, although limits still apply.

JTHAMES FAIRFAX, SC
Go to Top of Page

shoe jr.
Intermediate Member

125 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2008 :  10:37:13 PM  Show Profile Send shoe jr. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
deep holeing in 40 to 60 feet? Thats seems deep. Do you do well at those depths as apposed to 15-25 foot holes?

Just curious-I know of several holes that are that deep...might have to try them later...
Go to Top of Page

seahunter

305 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2008 :  08:59:47 AM  Show Profile Send seahunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
its a lot of work but well worth it when they are there. the first time i ever went we made several cast to find the shrimp but after we got on them we coolered in 7-8 cast!! i have never seen anything like it and would not beleive it if someone told me. every net we pulled up looked like it had a basketball at the horn. i'm a pretty big boy and i could not lift the net into the boat, i had to drag it over the rail. of course boat control is critical in that depth, if your not carefull you will pull your net closed before it hits the bottom.

JTHAMES FAIRFAX, SC
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CharlestonFishing.Com © CharlestonFishing.Com, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000