b

c

d

e

f

g

CharlestonFishing.Com
CharlestonFishing.Com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Your Space
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 CharlestonFishing.Com
 Shrimping
 Buy or make your own shrimp bait?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Punishment4Gluttons

286 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  11:05:52 AM  Show Profile Send Punishment4Gluttons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just wondering what you guys do. If you buy where do you buy it? If you make your own what's your recipe? This will be my first year shrimping. Just trying to get some info so I can be ready.

We are badbots...robots that are bad...good does not compute with us...in fact it makes us mad!

scottsmh
Intermediate Member

65 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  1:11:27 PM  Show Profile Send scottsmh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Call David Gasque at 843-245-7637. He makes pre-mixed bait that you just add water to. He is in Marion, SC. It holds together well.
Go to Top of Page

COOLBREEZE

1959 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  6:52:22 PM  Show Profile Send COOLBREEZE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you can make your own for probably around $30 for the season. just buy a buy of fish meal 50# and a bag of grout/clay 4-5bucks. mix it about 50/50 and go at it. good luck.
Go to Top of Page

lostlocal101

381 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  10:22:03 PM  Show Profile Send lostlocal101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I make my own, true value carries clay and fish meal... but ive also used a type of pre-mixed bait just add water and it worked as well... I forgot the name but I bought it in a red bucket from Haddrell's, it was quick but I like making my own
Go to Top of Page

onepole

754 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  10:11:18 AM  Show Profile Send onepole a Private Message  Reply with Quote
50% fish meal, 50% clay. Least expensive and it works just as well as pre-mixed. I've found that much of the pre-mix gets very slippery. If you get any on the floor of your boat, you may end up slipping and joining the shrimp.
I've tried menhaden oil mixed with my 50/50 mix and did not see any difference in numbers of shrimp caught. Since I one-pole, I was able to put regular mix on one side and regular mix with oil added on the other. I was able to have time to count the number of shrimp caught on each cast- per side- and saw no difference. I only cast once on each side every ten minutes; twice every 15 minutes if they were running strong.

Onepole
Go to Top of Page

Phin
Prolific Poster

13116 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  3:20:23 PM  Show Profile Send Phin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
5# fish meal
5# plain flour
2# corn meal

Try it, and you'll never use clay again.
I take it on a trip mixed together in that ratio dry in a 3 gallon bucket with water tight lid. I pour a few inches of it in a small plastic tub and scoop up salt water and mix while the poles are being set. It's kind of like making bisquits but easier. If you get it too wet just add more mix. Too dry- just add more water. Makes patties easier than ground beef chuck, and the residue comes right off with water.

They stack on top of one another in the plastic tub for later use during a trip also. What I'll do is make up enough for 2-3 per pole and bait with 1 per pole to start with. When the shrimp show up, I throw the other 2 per pole out where I know my nets are opening up.

No slickness on the deck to break your butt on when you start shrimping, and no clay under your finger nails. 20# bags of flour at cosco are only like 10 bucks.

If you run out of gas or battery, these things are probably better to eat than clay balls also.

'88 Mako 211, 200 HPDI
Luke 8:22-25
Go to Top of Page

COOLBREEZE

1959 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  5:13:37 PM  Show Profile Send COOLBREEZE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you know phin; i just might go off of the norm and give that recipe a shot this year. i still have a couple of buckets of mixed clay and meal from two years ago since i did not get to go at all last year due to my son's wedding bull&&%$ and then the wind on the weekends when i could go. not going to happen again. i am ready.
Go to Top of Page

dgasque
Intermediate Member

139 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2009 :  9:44:02 PM  Show Profile Send dgasque a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One could also try not using the bottom of the boat to mix bait. But still be careful not to slip.
Go to Top of Page

DFreedom

8227 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  07:35:33 AM  Show Profile Send DFreedom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone know where you can get clay and fish meal in the Columbia area?
Go to Top of Page

Bonzo72
Prolific Poster

11982 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  07:37:06 AM  Show Profile Send Bonzo72 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
do y'all have True Value stores there?

And the sea shall grant each man new hope as sleep brings dreams of home ~ Don Cristobol

The Morris Island Lighthouse web page
www.savethelight.org
Go to Top of Page

Open Bar

298 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  08:30:38 AM  Show Profile Send Open Bar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bait Binder. It's nice to only put one hamburger sized patty per pole and have it last the entire time. No mess, no buckets of clay and meal, no 200 patties, etc. It has so simplified our shrimping. If the shrimp are there one small Bait Binder patty on each pole will get you a limit as well and as quick as meal and clay. People try it, don't get on the shrimp and blame it on the Bait Binder. That's really not the case. We figure it costs around $5 to $7 per trip, and you get a nice 5 gallon bucket to boot.
Go to Top of Page

DFreedom

8227 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  11:34:26 AM  Show Profile Send DFreedom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am pretty sure there are some True Value Hardware shops in Cola. Sounds like I should look into this bait binder.
Go to Top of Page

Open Bar

298 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  12:49:28 PM  Show Profile Send Open Bar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DFreedon, Bait Binder has turned shrimping from a PITA that used to take a lot of planning and preparation into a walk in the park. I only went a few times last year, but got a limit in under 2 hours every time. You only have to bring one small pail of bait, 10 or 20 tiny patties, bait up, put the top back on the pail, and shrimp.

Most of the people I have turned onto Bait Binder have been friends that I have given a little to. I told them to try it on a couple of poles. They either caught just as many as the poles with regular bait, or just as few! One thing though, they all use Bait Binder now.
Go to Top of Page

FishOn

392 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  1:48:28 PM  Show Profile Send FishOn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DFreedom...Lake World by the dam usually carries fish meal and clay.

Last year Sportsmans Warehouse had bait (not sure if it was bait binder or another brand.

Also, there was a feed/seed store on the other side of the airport that carried fish meal and clay. Can't remember the name though.

If anyone has any other sources in Columbia please post. I need to re-stock this year also. Have not bought in this area in several years.
Go to Top of Page

DFreedom

8227 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  4:08:46 PM  Show Profile Send DFreedom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I may just have to try the bait binder. Bear with me but, it is something you mix with the meal to bind it together to make the patties or is it a one stop shop, mix with water and make patties?
Go to Top of Page

Bonzo72
Prolific Poster

11982 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  4:28:14 PM  Show Profile Send Bonzo72 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
bait binder is one stop shopping! premixed in a bucket...

And the sea shall grant each man new hope as sleep brings dreams of home ~ Don Cristobol

The Morris Island Lighthouse web page
www.savethelight.org
Go to Top of Page

DFreedom

8227 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2009 :  07:27:24 AM  Show Profile Send DFreedom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool, that sounds like the way to go.
Go to Top of Page

Open Bar

298 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2009 :  07:53:55 AM  Show Profile Send Open Bar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like Bonzo said, it's premixed in a bucket (or smaller portions in bags). Talk to the folks you buy it from about how to use it and follow the directions in the bags. It's super concentrated, like 85-90% meal, and the patties stay together for 3-4 hours. Thats why you only need a small patty. We are amazed everytime we pull one up in the net and it has barely deteriorated.

One day last season we were on shrimp pretty good and were just finishing up our limit. A guy and his wife saw us getting them and asked if we minded if they set up beside us. We told them we were done and to put their poles down exactly where ours are as we pulled them up. After ours were up and theirs were in we anchored off to the side and started heading our shrimp. We watched them get probably 1/2 cooler more on our bait by the time we left. 1.5 coolers on 1 hamburger sized patty aint bad!
Go to Top of Page

Folly
Intermediate Member

125 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2009 :  1:00:10 PM  Show Profile Send Folly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Open Bar,
Where do you buy Bait Binder. Maybe you already mentioned it but I couldn't find it.

I used some stuff from Boater's World last year. It comes in a bag as a dry meal I just mixed it with water. What is the consensus on that stuff?
Go to Top of Page

Open Bar

298 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2009 :  7:27:25 PM  Show Profile Send Open Bar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Folly, Barton and Burwell and Haddrells Point carry it. It comes in different amounts too. There are probably other places, but those are the 2 places I always purchased it from.
Go to Top of Page

Folly
Intermediate Member

125 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2009 :  9:08:06 PM  Show Profile Send Folly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How much $?
Go to Top of Page

Soggybottom
Intermediate Member

136 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2009 :  09:45:42 AM  Show Profile Send Soggybottom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am in the Columbia area as well. I think the place behind the airport is Congaree Feed and Seed. I just called and they have it for $36. I bought some at Prices Feed Mill in Gilbert SC. Last year and I think it was around $40. Good luck. If you find the bait binder in the Columbia area I would be very interested to try it.
Go to Top of Page

Open Bar

298 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2009 :  10:03:23 AM  Show Profile Send Open Bar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those seem like pretty high prices. I have to go to Mt Pleasant in a while. I'll stop at Barton and Burwell and see if they have any left and how much.
Go to Top of Page

Folly
Intermediate Member

125 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2009 :  11:20:32 AM  Show Profile Send Folly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I might stop by there on my way home today.
Go to Top of Page

Too Busy

4372 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2009 :  11:40:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Too Busy's Homepage Send Too Busy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
heck
just throw the cast net twice in the ICW and you'll have enough hadens to make your own fish meal. I nearly sank my yak a couple of weeks ago when I threw on a school.

There is nothing - absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Kenneth Grahame
Go to Top of Page

Punishment4Gluttons

286 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2009 :  7:46:46 PM  Show Profile Send Punishment4Gluttons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Open Bar

Those seem like pretty high prices. I have to go to Mt Pleasant in a while. I'll stop at Barton and Burwell and see if they have any left and how much.

Better go before they close

We are badbots...robots that are bad...good does not compute with us...in fact it makes us mad!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CharlestonFishing.Com © 2000-2013 CharlestonFishing.com, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000