b

c

d

e

f

g

CharlestonFishing.Com
CharlestonFishing.Com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Your Space
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 CharlestonFishing.Com
 Shrimping
 Buy or make your own shrimp bait?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Folly
Intermediate Member

125 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2009 :  9:35:20 PM  Show Profile Send Folly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Went by Barton and Burwell after work today. All they had was a dry mix. The guy downstairs said he'd cut me a "hell of a deal on it". The guy upstairs said the bags were filled with bugs. Is this stuff dry or wet?
Go to Top of Page

Open Bar

298 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2009 :  07:09:20 AM  Show Profile Send Open Bar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scottsmh

Call David Gasque at 843-245-7637. He makes pre-mixed bait that you just add water to. He is in Marion, SC. It holds together well.

He is the Bait Binder guy. If you call him, he can tell you who carries it where ever you are.
Go to Top of Page

onepole

754 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2009 :  07:58:20 AM  Show Profile Send onepole a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As readers can see, there are many preferences for bait. Most work pretty well to very well. It's mostly a matter of preference. Some prefer the pre made baitbinder. Some use flour,cornmeal, and fish meal. Some use clay and fishmeal. Some add menhaden oil. The one thing all have in common is the fish meal.
It really is a matter of personal preference, but no matter what type of bait one uses, the location where one puts it and is able to spread their net over it makes more of a difference than the bait used. If you put bait where shrimp don't normally pass over or close to it, it won't attrack them from far away. If you put your bait too close to your pole so that only the edge of your net hits it, you won't get as many than if you can center your net over the bait ball.
One has to make sure the bait ball lasts long enough to fill one's cooler.
For this, the bait binder seems to hold an adge. It also comes in it's own package which makes mixing a thing of the past. It can be slippery if it gets on the deck. his can hold true for other mixes as well.
I always suggest the use of some cheap outdoor carpet form lowes' or Home Depot. This helps with footing, can be easily removed for hosing down, and keeps the weights from clanging on the deck. This does scare some shrimp from your baited area.
Clay/meal can last, but too much or too little water and it can crumble of disolve. Made right, it will last a long time. It's been used very succuessfully by many people over the years.
I haven't tried the meal, flour, cornmeal combo myself, but close finds swear by it.
If you're new to the sport, you may want to try the pre made bait binder. Don't be afraid to experiment with other baits, or mixtures. When I used to one pole I made a few patties with extra meal and very soggy so they would disolve quickly. The meal then spreads out creating a baited patch, rather than just a spot. When one's net rubs over their bait ball, little bits get scrapped off, doing this slowly. It pays to cast down-current from where your bait ball is located- once in a while. Most shrimp find the bait by floating/swimming with the tide or current, but some that miss it do walk back up current to this area.
No matter what bait you decide on, if you're not catching shrimp, either your casting is bad, or you need to locate other areas.
Best of luck to all!!!

Onepole
Go to Top of Page

onepole

754 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2009 :  2:59:48 PM  Show Profile Send onepole a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One very important item that hasn't been discussed is to make sure your hands are very clean before you make your bait. If you've spilled any gas or oil from filling your boat tank, put on sunscreen, insect repellant, etc it will permeate your bait ball. Since shrimp feed mainly by smell, it often keeps them away. you could have everything else perfect and miss a good catch if the shrimp don't like the smell or taste of your bait.

There were several types of bait mentioned in this discussion. It would never hurt to buy a bucket of Bait Binder and try it along with your usual bait to see which works better, or is easier to use. I talked to the person who makes Bait Binder and he said they use more sand than they used to. This should help with the slipperiness I experienced - quite a few years ago. If you want to give it a good test, put your regular bait on the odd poles- 1,3,5,7,& 9 and Bait binder on the even poles- 2,4,6,8,& 10. Most of us have had nights when one end of the line of poles has worked better than the other , so to be fair, you have to alternate to see how one bait compares to another.
Even when I use one pole one side of my boat always had more shrimp than the other. The side closest to deep water almost always produced more shrimp on the incoming tide, while the opposite side produced more on the outgoing tide.

Onepole
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CharlestonFishing.Com © CharlestonFishing.Com, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000