b

c

d

e

f

g

CharlestonFishing.Com
CharlestonFishing.Com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Your Space
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 CharlestonFishing.Com
 Inshore Discussion
 What is the best shark meat to eat?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Luv2fush

186 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  4:37:42 PM  Show Profile Send Luv2fush a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is the best shark to catch and eat? I have read that the bonnethead shark is not very tasty. Any suggestions?

GameTime
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  5:41:07 PM  Show Profile Send GameTime a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mako - it is the only shark worth eating.

Game Time
Go to Top of Page

misslily

1395 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  6:40:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit misslily's Homepage Send misslily a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anything under about 3 feet. The key is to filet it and remove the backbone. There is some nasty flavor in that spinal column which mixes with the meat if you stake it and throw it into the pan.
Go to Top of Page

Jazzed

620 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  6:57:54 PM  Show Profile Send Jazzed a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Misslily
Go to Top of Page

lostlocal101

381 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  7:33:54 PM  Show Profile Send lostlocal101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

This has been discussed a lot previously, best mako for sure! Clean it live quickly, sharks essentially Pee through their skin, urea or uric acid can't remember which builds in the bloodstream and is released quickly building up a high level upon death giving the nasty taste. Then again dont think its worth any trouble...

Edited by - lostlocal101 on 08/04/2009 02:07:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

tideline_two

Sprint PictureMail" width="96" height="96" border="1">

2512 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  8:51:51 PM  Show Profile Send tideline_two a Private Message  Reply with Quote
and after you eat that try some cuda.

green grass and high tides forever
jhp----- Murrells Inlet
Go to Top of Page

Palmetto Bug

1334 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  09:22:39 AM  Show Profile Send Palmetto Bug a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've eaten cuda and I prefer it much more than any shark including mako that was butchered almost live and put on ice immediately. I'd rather eat a pogey than shark.

The cuda was a real surprise, We were bone fishing on Los Roques, Venezuela. When the guides would see a cuda, they would ask if we could take a break so they could catch one, since they had families to feed. They'd throw them in the bilge well of the boat with no ice and we'd continue fishing until the afternoon. Later on during dinner at the lodge, we were told that we were being served cuda and it truly was delicious. They said they ate it regularly and nobody ever got Ciguatera poisoning. We also ate whole fried glass minnows and they were fantastic, sort of like fried fish strips with eyeballs on one end.
Go to Top of Page

YakontheFly

772 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  11:01:59 AM  Show Profile Send YakontheFly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Salmon Shark, Hands down...

However around here, stick to Bonnethead and Atlantic Sharpnose...

The secret is to bleed and gut them IMMEDIATELY, then put them on Ice... (Do not allow them, or any fish, to soak in the water from the melted ice.... That is what the drain for coolers is there for...)

BTW: You should do the same with any fish, if you want the best flavor.

YotF

Those who can't fish, spend too much on seafood!
Go to Top of Page

Capt. Eddie

1786 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  7:35:31 PM  Show Profile Send Capt. Eddie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hear mako is the best,but I have never had any.I have eaten blacktip and it was very good on the grill.Similar to wahoo.Bonnethead is NOT good.

"Women should be obscene and not heard."
Go to Top of Page

Pot Likker
Intermediate Member

99 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  9:09:59 PM  Show Profile Send Pot Likker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is no question about it. Mako is the best. Just be sure to cut the blood line out and do not over cook! Shark dries out real fast and gets rubbery.
Go to Top of Page

h20gul

924 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2009 :  1:25:13 PM  Show Profile Send h20gul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agree mako is the best shark to eat. Just not that many caught so that everyone can try for themselves. We've kept small black tips and cleaned them in the boat (leaving head and tail in tact so as to not get in trouble with the man if he looks in your cooler back at the ramp). We rinse them good in salt water and store them on ice 'til we get 'em home to cut that awful uric strip out. I always soak the filets overnight in milk - never done it any other way to know of a difference in taste - just makes me think they're as clean and frea of any urea as they can get. I make a marinade of fresh lemon juice, herbs and olive oil, rinse the filets clean of the milk and grill. I've fed lots of folks who'd never eaten shark before who now love it!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CharlestonFishing.Com © CharlestonFishing.Com, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000