b

c

d

e

f

g

CharlestonFishing.Com
CharlestonFishing.Com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Your Space
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 CharlestonFishing.Com
 Surf / Pier Fishing
 Surf fishing at Folly Beach
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Goshen
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2009 :  07:48:00 AM  Show Profile Send Goshen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I spent several hours surf fishing on Folly Beach between 6th & 7th street on East Artic. My parents have a house on this block so it's very convenient. High tide was 10:30 am. I fished from 9:15-11:15, 1:00-2:00, and 3:00-4:00. The fishing was great, but the catching was not so good. I was able to cast into the last row of breakers. The rip current was pretty strong, but I walked the beach to stay in front of my line. I was using Gulp bait, a shrimp, crab, and a piece that looked like cut bait. In 4 hours I didn't even get a bite. Anybody have any suggestions? I'm thinking about going again during the Thanksgiving weekend.

I had a great time, but a little action would be nice.

Goshen

Indy

3268 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2009 :  08:21:48 AM  Show Profile Send Indy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try fresh shrimp, double drop rig.
Go to Top of Page

heartofthesun

216 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2009 :  12:58:01 PM  Show Profile  Send heartofthesun an AOL message Send heartofthesun a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try getting past that last row of breakers. ive never used Gulp bait, Think i would go with the shrimp,cut bait or squid.

"You know the camera takes 10 pounds off a fish."
Go to Top of Page

Tracker16
Intermediate Member

82 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  10:34:13 AM  Show Profile Send Tracker16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't know what kind of gear you have avalible but like the others have said. Try to get beyond the breakers or if there is a calm area between rows of break you can cast into that. The breaks occur on the bars the calm between them should be a gully the fish will be traveling in. Assuming there are fish in the area of course. I would scrap the gulp and go with the real thing too. Good luck and don't give up

Henry Harle
Tracker 1654 25 hp Merc (mini Verado)

I Fish Therefore I Lie

><((((º>

Go to Top of Page

JimIslander

1806 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  12:23:40 PM  Show Profile Send JimIslander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. I always have great luck right up near the beach, right in the breakers and white water.

Tidewater 196DC
Yamaha F115
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pungo 120

It is not our cause to perish in the defense of Lady Liberty, but to bring that eternal sleep unto those tyrants who would pursue her demise.
Go to Top of Page

Tracker16
Intermediate Member

82 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  6:45:09 PM  Show Profile Send Tracker16 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JimIslander

Hmmm. I always have great luck right up near the beach, right in the breakers and white water.

I agree you can catch some nice small ones in the first set of wash but the bigger ones will normally be out in the gullys waiting for the smaller fish to wash back out

Henry Harle
Tracker 1654 25 hp Merc (mini Verado)

I Fish Therefore I Lie

><((((º>

Go to Top of Page

Mixed Nutz

3686 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  9:00:00 PM  Show Profile Send Mixed Nutz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just got home from IOP, we caught plenty of "keeper Trout", just outside the outer breakers! Using a Curly tail Jig! Some of the locals suggested a pink/with chartreuse tail, but in the end, it was the old reliable "Smoke Curly Tail", that won out!!!

The cost of Liberty, is eternal vigilance!!
Go to Top of Page

Costa95

180 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  9:07:18 PM  Show Profile Send Costa95 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Look for troughs, and cut mullet(fresh) draws in the big reds.

'32 Wellcraft Scarab
Twin Y-250's

Go to Top of Page

Fish Head

8 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  10:26:02 AM  Show Profile Send Fish Head a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have been told to forget about using artificials in the surf, so glad to hear of Mixed Nutz's success with the grubs. I do most of my surf fishing around 35th Ave on IOP when in the area and don't always have fresh bait on hand. Will give the grubs a try!

Fishhead
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CharlestonFishing.Com © CharlestonFishing.Com, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000