Weather Recipes Search Charters Classifieds Sponsors YouTube Twitter Facebook FAQ's Calendar Resources CharlestonFishing.Com

a

b

c

d

e

f

g

CharlestonFishing.Com
CharlestonFishing.Com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Your Space
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Non-Fishing
 Photography
 Birds....lets see your best!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

23Sailfish
Prolific Poster



22879 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2014 :  12:38:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit 23Sailfish's Homepage Send 23Sailfish a Private Message  Reply with Quote












Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com
Go to Top of Page

bgf
Senior Member



2344 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2014 :  9:48:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit bgf's Homepage Send bgf a Private Message  Reply with Quote








Go to Top of Page

Flat-Out
Senior Member



326 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2014 :  06:02:08 AM  Show Profile Send Flat-Out a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bgf

Right there is the biggest part of taking good outdoor pictures: being in the right place at the right time! Nice job.



Being in the right place with the wrong camera might let you occasionally capture good pictures but you guys have clearly shown there is a difference between good pictures and great photography. To get the results you're getting in your photo's how much setting and focusing are you having to do with the equipment you're using?

><>

Edited by - Flat-Out on 03/20/2014 5:23:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

CooperRiverMan
Senior Member



1775 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2014 :  5:45:28 PM  Show Profile Send CooperRiverMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some amazing stuff on this thread. Nice

Key West 1720 115 HP Johnson Saltwater.
Go to Top of Page

Cracker Larry
Senior Member



7877 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2014 :  8:21:54 PM  Show Profile Send Cracker Larry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For sure. Makes me down right embarrassed to show mine

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose
Go to Top of Page

23Sailfish
Prolific Poster



22879 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2014 :  9:43:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit 23Sailfish's Homepage Send 23Sailfish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All pictures are welcome. We should use this section to learn new techniques and grow. I love looking at others' work if it's amateur or professional.




Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com
Go to Top of Page

23Sailfish
Prolific Poster



22879 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2014 :  1:23:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit 23Sailfish's Homepage Send 23Sailfish a Private Message  Reply with Quote







Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com
Go to Top of Page

Cracker Larry
Senior Member



7877 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2014 :  2:51:59 PM  Show Profile Send Cracker Larry a Private Message  Reply with Quote


Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose
Go to Top of Page

bgf
Senior Member



2344 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2014 :  7:30:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit bgf's Homepage Send bgf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flat-Out

quote:
Originally posted by bgf

Right there is the biggest part of taking good outdoor pictures: being in the right place at the right time! Nice job.



Being in the right place with the wrong camera might let you occasionally capture good pictures but you guys have clearly shown there is a difference between good pictures and great photography. To get the results you're getting in your photo's how much setting and focusing are you having to do with the equipment you're using?

><>


I am no professional; but I really enjoy my photography. It took me a long time to step out of the comfort zone of automatic settings on the camera. Most of the time, mine are not much different than those settings unless I want blurrier background.. etc That is a starting place... pay attention to the settings that come up in a program, such as 'Landscape', then change your settings slightly and see how the picture is affected. Use higher shutter speeds to capture motion, and lower to add light in dim scenarios. A lot of good reading and tips here : http://digital-photography-school.com/

Go to Top of Page

Flat-Out
Senior Member



326 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2014 :  8:53:42 PM  Show Profile Send Flat-Out a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bgf

quote:
Originally posted by Flat-Out

quote:
Originally posted by bgf

Right there is the biggest part of taking good outdoor pictures: being in the right place at the right time! Nice job.



Being in the right place with the wrong camera might let you occasionally capture good pictures but you guys have clearly shown there is a difference between good pictures and great photography. To get the results you're getting in your photo's how much setting and focusing are you having to do with the equipment you're using?

><>


I am no professional; but I really enjoy my photography. It took me a long time to step out of the comfort zone of automatic settings on the camera. Most of the time, mine are not much different than those settings unless I want blurrier background.. etc That is a starting place... pay attention to the settings that come up in a program, such as 'Landscape', then change your settings slightly and see how the picture is affected. Use higher shutter speeds to capture motion, and lower to add light in dim scenarios. A lot of good reading and tips here : http://digital-photography-school.com/





Thanks for the web site... at first glance it looks packed with good beginner tips and it looks like it will let you go as deep as you want to go. I'm going to try experimenting with my settings like you suggested and see if I get comfortable enough to move up to better equipment one day,



><>

Edited by - Flat-Out on 03/23/2014 8:54:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

23Sailfish
Prolific Poster



22879 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  08:04:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit 23Sailfish's Homepage Send 23Sailfish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Easiest way to start is by using time value setting. TV on your DSLR. This let's you control shutter speed and the camera controls everything else.

Or use aperature priority. AP on your DSLR. You control the f stop and camera does everything else. Aperature size controls the depth of field or how blurry the background will be.

Also, be sure you use your built in light meter inside the viewfinder. This will help getting correct exposures.




Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com
Go to Top of Page

23Sailfish
Prolific Poster



22879 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2014 :  11:24:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit 23Sailfish's Homepage Send 23Sailfish a Private Message  Reply with Quote













Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com
Go to Top of Page

bgf
Senior Member



2344 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2014 :  8:04:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit bgf's Homepage Send bgf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

Easiest way to start is by using time value setting. TV on your DSLR. This let's you control shutter speed and the camera controls everything else.

Or use aperature priority. AP on your DSLR. You control the f stop and camera does everything else. Aperature size controls the depth of field or how blurry the background will be.

Also, be sure you use your built in light meter inside the viewfinder. This will help getting correct exposures.




Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com




That's a pro tip, right there! I shoot in AV mode a lot and use TV mostly for longer, low light or night shots.... which I have in no way mastered
Go to Top of Page

Flat-Out
Senior Member



326 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2014 :  05:56:49 AM  Show Profile Send Flat-Out a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have a DSLR camera just a small compact camera that doesn't have many manual settings. I've been able to get some good pictures with it but I think I'm about ready to move into a better camera to see if I can improve on the quality of them. Would you suggest an entry level camera to learn on or a more advanced camera that you can stay with?



















><>
Go to Top of Page

jonathan
Senior Member



1279 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2014 :  8:30:40 PM  Show Profile Send jonathan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a mix of pics. Some are iphone and some are DSLR

[URL=http://s210.photobucket.com/user/jwlbaldy/media/IMG_9728_zps9ebc86d3.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s210.photobucket.com/user/jwlbaldy/media/IMG_1705_zps277c12dd.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s210.photobucket.com/user/jwlbaldy/media/IMG_0317_zps8dc826b4.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s210.photobucket.com/user/jwlbaldy/media/IMG_0073_zps5bdfabd8.jpg.html][/URL]

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Edited by - jonathan on 03/27/2014 8:33:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

23Sailfish
Prolific Poster



22879 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2014 :  8:47:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit 23Sailfish's Homepage Send 23Sailfish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flat-Out

I don't have a DSLR camera just a small compact camera that doesn't have many manual settings. I've been able to get some good pictures with it but I think I'm about ready to move into a better camera to see if I can improve on the quality of them. Would you suggest an entry level camera to learn on or a more advanced camera that you can stay with?





You'll get way more out of your images if you spend your hard earned money on quality glass. Sure, the $3000+ bodies are nice, but without quality glass, your images will be lacking. In a perfect world, yes buy professional bodies and professional lenses. But in reality, most people don't have $4000+ to throw towards a camera setup. But you can get pretty amazing results from a cheaper cropped sensor DSLR (any rebels, xsi, t3i, t2i, 60d, 7d, and many more) and a quality lens.

I'm a canon guy. Any of the entry level DSLRs will be way ahead of your point and shoots as far as capability. Personally for entry level I love the 60d. There's a nice medium range canon lens for sale in the swap area of this site, 18-135mm. It's certainly not professional glass, but it's a fantastic all around lens that will give you quality results and a large focal range. You can easily use this for 90% of your shooting needs. I use that lens for work and have been impressed with the results. For the money, it's a fantastic start up.

If you want to talk about Nikon's, there's not many who are more well versed than Nikonjedi here.

The Nikon/Canon debate is about like Ford/Chevy. Both put out quality products and both have their good things and not so good things about them.


If you get serious about purchasing, feel free to ask anything before you buy. Some of us have been around for a while and can maybe save you some money. There are several others on this site that shoot professionally. Most are very willing to help. I'm certainly no expert, but I'll be glad to help in any way I can.






Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com
Go to Top of Page

23Sailfish
Prolific Poster



22879 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2014 :  8:57:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit 23Sailfish's Homepage Send 23Sailfish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.charlestonfishing.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=143943

The 18-135mm for Canon body




Canon 60d
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/732047-REG/Canon_4460B003_EOS_60D_DSLR_Camera.html




Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

Edited by - 23Sailfish on 03/27/2014 9:00:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

23Sailfish
Prolific Poster



22879 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2014 :  9:03:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit 23Sailfish's Homepage Send 23Sailfish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My fav on this thread so far.




quote:
[i]Originally posted by jonathan

[/URL]








Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

Edited by - 23Sailfish on 03/27/2014 9:05:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

jerms
Senior Member



2956 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2014 :  08:05:01 AM  Show Profile Send jerms a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Adelies...







_______________________________________________________________________________________

A long long slow walk in the spartina gives you time to think big thoughts and put your mind back into order.
- Flatscaster
Go to Top of Page

Bonzo72
Prolific Poster



14539 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2014 :  08:45:00 AM  Show Profile Send Bonzo72 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

All pictures are welcome


really? cool...






The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org
Go to Top of Page

jerms
Senior Member



2956 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2014 :  09:05:01 AM  Show Profile Send jerms a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Antarctic Skuas doing the nasty...























_______________________________________________________________________________________

A long long slow walk in the spartina gives you time to think big thoughts and put your mind back into order.
- Flatscaster
Go to Top of Page

23Sailfish
Prolific Poster



22879 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2014 :  10:16:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit 23Sailfish's Homepage Send 23Sailfish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bonzo72

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

All pictures are welcome


really? cool...






The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org






Nice set of hooters you got there....








Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com
Go to Top of Page

Flat-Out
Senior Member



326 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2014 :  09:51:39 AM  Show Profile Send Flat-Out a Private Message  Reply with Quote







><>
Go to Top of Page

Bonzo72
Prolific Poster



14539 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2014 :  10:33:44 AM  Show Profile Send Bonzo72 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flat-Out










you have more hooters than me...

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org
Go to Top of Page

23Sailfish
Prolific Poster



22879 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2014 :  4:35:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit 23Sailfish's Homepage Send 23Sailfish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few more from the weekend....



This guy spotted me and didn't take his eyes off me. Guess he was trying to figure out what I was doing in the marsh!











Two headed monster....












Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CharlestonFishing.Com © CharlestonFishing.Com, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000