Weather Recipes Search Charters Classifieds Sponsors YouTube Twitter Facebook FAQ's Calendar Resources CharlestonFishing.Com

a

b

c

d

e

f

g

CharlestonFishing.Com
CharlestonFishing.Com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Your Space
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Hunting
 Hunting Reports
 8/15/18
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sman

1354 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2018 :  09:17:14 AM  Show Profile Send sman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rousted out a crew of them ole boys raised on shotguns.After some grits,sausage,black coffee,a few sea stories and some planning they went to their stands. I think they forgot about all the mosquitoes when the oldest hound started to open,it was about to break loose.haha.One of my boys got lucky because Iíve seen quail fly slower across the line than that little 5 point.Deer was butchered and split up amongst the hunting party by 9am.

sman

1354 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2018 :  10:14:47 AM  Show Profile Send sman a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

poly ball

3238 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2018 :  2:51:09 PM  Show Profile Send poly ball a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quality management right there
Go to Top of Page

sman

1354 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2018 :  4:57:57 PM  Show Profile Send sman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HaHa I was wondering when you were gonna show up,got tired of stirring it up over in politics aye?We hunt for sport not to be a braggart.You wouldn't shoot ducks sitting on the water would you,waiting on the biggest duck to land so you could say that you shot a quality managed drake.How bout the coyotes ? What kinda crops you got growing?Bee hives do any good?I think everyone misses you in the hunting section,welcome back and post up some pics of the farm.Oh and when is the rut going to take place?Asking for a friend that likes to sit in a tree.
Go to Top of Page

poly ball

3238 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2018 :  5:06:56 PM  Show Profile Send poly ball a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alias stalker........ been on the site 3 years, but you know everything,that's cool brah.

What'd everyone take home , 1lb of meat?

Go to Top of Page

Fred67
Prolific Poster

14313 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2018 :  7:09:34 PM  Show Profile Send Fred67 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by poly ball

Very rash statement to make not knowing anything about the land and where the deer was taken. To understand QDM, you have to know that some younger bucks may need to be taken along with many does. But then again maybe this individual doesn't care about QDM and only about enjoying life and taking a little pleasure from nature. Ever thought about that?

For that matter lets swap over to fishing.... I've seen your posts that you brought back fish that you wouldn't even eat, but rather give them away at the dock. Is that sporting?

But we all know, you saw the dog in the box and your instant hate of Dog hunting blinded you into thinking some stupid thing like 1lb of meat. LOL!

Easy to do QDM behind a fence.
Go to Top of Page

bangstick

2747 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2018 :  09:14:30 AM  Show Profile Send bangstick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fred67

quote:

Very rash statement to make not knowing anything about the land and where the deer was taken. To understand QDM, you have to know that some younger bucks may need to be taken along with many does. But then again maybe this individual doesn't care about QDM and only about enjoying life and taking a little pleasure from nature. Ever thought about that?

For that matter lets swap over to fishing.... I've seen your posts that you brought back fish that you wouldn't even eat, but rather give them away at the dock. Is that sporting?

But we all know, you saw the dog in the box and your instant hate of Dog hunting blinded you into thinking some stupid thing like 1lb of meat. LOL!

"You don't always know where you stand till you know that you won't run away." ~Slipknot
Go to Top of Page

natureboy

5520 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2018 :  09:24:06 AM  Show Profile Send natureboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Equally disliked everywhere
Go to Top of Page

poly ball

3238 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2018 :  11:39:23 AM  Show Profile Send poly ball a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

A wise man doesn't need advice, a redneck fool wont listen..........Fredrico, I suggest you read up on the QDMA practices, you're way off pal.

This is why QDMA teaches that the most reasonable, successful and easy starting point for QDM is to protect most or all yearling bucks. And that includes all yearlings Ė even spikes. Given time, a spike yearling can grow into a buck that will give a lot of hunters uncontrollable shivers.

Separating 1Ĺ from 2Ĺ is now a simple matter, because weíre down to the easiest deer to spot in the woods: the yearling. And itís very good that a yearling is so easy to spot, because Ė and hereís my whole point Ė heís the most important buck in the woods to protect. If you fumble every other aging call there is but you protect most or all of the yearlings, your hunting is still going to get a lot better.

Because they are young, inexperienced, less aware of danger, often alone for the first time in their lives, and often new to the area (because of yearling-buck dispersal), yearlings are usually the first antlered deer we see while hunting Ė and thus the quickest to die in hunting season. But as soon as they are given moderate protection, whether voluntary or mandatory, hunting improves quickly. Given their extra year of education, 2Ĺ-year-olds are not so quick to die, and now the numbers of older bucks begin to swell. Rut behaviors become more common and noticeable. Hunters see and kill bucks with bigger antlers and bodies.

So, is aging bucks on the hoof always easy or accurate? No. But luckily for all of us, the deer thatís easiest to age is the most important one to get right.
Go to Top of Page

natureboy

5520 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2018 :  3:44:56 PM  Show Profile Send natureboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is this your property Robbie? Is it adjacent to your property? Is it a QDM club? In other words , what business is it of yours?

Have you been appointed state deer manager?
Go to Top of Page

Fred67
Prolific Poster

14313 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2018 :  5:43:14 PM  Show Profile Send Fred67 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

A wise man doesn't need advice, a redneck fool wont listen..........Fredrico, I suggest you read up on the QDMA practices, you're way off pal.

This is why QDMA teaches that the most reasonable, successful and easy starting point for QDM is to protect most or all yearling bucks. And that includes all yearlings Ė even spikes. Given time, a spike yearling can grow into a buck that will give a lot of hunters uncontrollable shivers.

Separating 1Ĺ from 2Ĺ is now a simple matter, because weíre down to the easiest deer to spot in the woods: the yearling. And itís very good that a yearling is so easy to spot, because Ė and hereís my whole point Ė heís the most important buck in the woods to protect. If you fumble every other aging call there is but you protect most or all of the yearlings, your hunting is still going to get a lot better.

Because they are young, inexperienced, less aware of danger, often alone for the first time in their lives, and often new to the area (because of yearling-buck dispersal), yearlings are usually the first antlered deer we see while hunting Ė and thus the quickest to die in hunting season. But as soon as they are given moderate protection, whether voluntary or mandatory, hunting improves quickly. Given their extra year of education, 2Ĺ-year-olds are not so quick to die, and now the numbers of older bucks begin to swell. Rut behaviors become more common and noticeable. Hunters see and kill bucks with bigger antlers and bodies.

So, is aging bucks on the hoof always easy or accurate? No. But luckily for all of us, the deer thatís easiest to age is the most important one to get right.

You, me and everyone here knows this is not about quality deer management. This was about someone that took a deer using dogs. The man got a nice buck, not a 12 point 200# trophy , but a decent buck.

I think what many donít understand is the adrenaline rush hearing the dogs coming knowing a deer is about to come screaming by. Youíd be surprised how many learn they are not that good a shot under pressure. I canít understand anyone sitting in a stand with a trophy buck in the crosshairs getting the shakes. Itís too easy.

Have some heart , there are still some legit top notch respectful hunters still using dogs. I still know several areas thatís about the only way your gonna get a deer.
Go to Top of Page

23Sailfish
Prolific Poster

22901 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2018 :  10:27:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit 23Sailfish's Homepage Send 23Sailfish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know two things here:

Every dog hunter I've personally had experience with is scum.

Poly's QDM knowledge is light years above most.

"Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality." --Peepod 07-25-2017
Go to Top of Page

natureboy

5520 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2018 :  10:36:33 PM  Show Profile Send natureboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not a huge fan of dogging deer . I've done it and it is exciting when you hear the hounds and see a buck run by in almost a blur. I have visited some respectable dog clubs , and a few that were horror stories. I have permission to hunt a tract that borders a dog club. Last year I visited and talked about respecting their property and expecting them to respect mine. Bottom line - when a hunter is trying to retrieve a dog from my lease. carrying a loaded shotgun - That's illegal hunting , and last year a guy got a citation that cost him 470 + his hunting license for that.
Go to Top of Page

Fred67
Prolific Poster

14313 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2018 :  06:35:47 AM  Show Profile Send Fred67 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

I know two things here:

Every dog hunter I've personally had experience with is scum.

Poly's QDM knowledge is light years above most.

"Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality." --Peepod 07-25-2017

Just so you know 23Sailfish, I'm not disagreeing with Bolbies knowledge of deer, just his hate on dog hunting. His post was nothing but a mean spirited jab. He knows nothing about how ethical / respectful Sman and his club is with their dogs. Nor do I. Man got a decent buck and I thank him for posting. Always nice to see pics.

I can't argue with Polys deer management practices. He's thrown out some very good information. I'd still love to hear what he cam up with for the "full" rute last year. We've been seeing fawns for the last 4 months and just caught a doe on camera with two very young fawns. Problem with QDM is very few have the land and surrounding Neighbors to actually make it work. That or have your deer in a pen. Dang bucks will travel... a long way. We've had a couple of huge bucks moving across 15 miles and 25,000 acres. Does, not so much, they kind of stay put unless forced away.

I'm truly sorry all your encounters with dog hunters have been scum. I must admit, I've had my share of Arse wipes. I'd love to invite you on a well run dog drive on a few thousand acres with some well trained hounds. Nothing like it. Sadly not a lot left anymore. With the break ups of so many large tracts of land and a lot of plantations focusing on bird hunting, It's getting harder and harder to do. Many think they can control large hounds on a little 100 acre block... never happen. Maybe with some small beagles.

Rural life has changed, used to be every farmer would almost beg you to run dogs and kill every deer possible to keep from destroying crops. Now it seems all the "city" folk are getting tired of the hustle and bustle and moving to the country on their big 10 acre ponderosa Expecting everyone to change for them. But I understand, I wouldn't want some dogs running across my property and messing up my qdm.

Go to Top of Page

Pdubbs

17 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2018 :  06:53:43 AM  Show Profile Send Pdubbs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did not know you could kill antlerless deer before September 15th.....

~ If they ainít hating, you ainít doing something right...
Go to Top of Page

bangstick

2747 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2018 :  08:41:48 AM  Show Profile Send bangstick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You, me and everyone here knows this is not about quality deer management. This was about someone that took a deer using dogs. The man got a nice buck, not a 12 point 200# trophy , but a decent buck.

I think what many donít understand is the adrenaline rush hearing the dogs coming knowing a deer is about to come screaming by. Youíd be surprised how many learn they are not that good a shot under pressure. I canít understand anyone sitting in a stand with a trophy buck in the crosshairs getting the shakes. Itís too easy.

Have some heart , there are still some legit top notch respectful hunters still using dogs. I still know several areas thatís about the only way your gonna get a deer.

Ok, Fred. First, I want you to know I am in no way shape or form defending Polbie. Granted, if I make any concession towards him, it's his knowledge of QDM but this has nothing to do with him.

Second, you use the word "understand" to make your point in defense of dog hunting by claiming those that don't do it don't "understand." Personally, I have no problem with that because you're right, the blood pressure rises exponentially when you hear the dogs getting closer. I've been dog hunting twice since moving to SC so I know this first hand but it just wasn't/isn't my cup of tea. Then, you turn around and go passive aggressive with an insult to rifle hunters and how you can't "understand" how anyone can experience the same adrenaline rush because "it's too easy" according to you. So you criticize someone for their beliefs on a particular legal form of hunting and then you turn around and take a shot at another legal form of hunting? What's the difference?

Again, this isn't about dog hunting, rifle hunting or bow hunting. This is about one hunter turning on another hunter over the legal form of hunting each chooses to participate in. Like I said, I don't dog hunt. It's not for me but I support hunters and the legal means of hunting they choose to participate in. Why wouldn't I? Why wouldn't any of us? You basically *****ed at someone for not liking your legal form of hunting and then turn around and *****ed about a different legal form of hunting. At the very least, that's a double standard, if not flat out hypocrisy.

"You don't always know where you stand till you know that you won't run away." ~Slipknot

Edited by - bangstick on 08/31/2018 09:34:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

natureboy

5520 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2018 :  10:10:02 AM  Show Profile Send natureboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
QDM is not a required land management method. Personally , I try to not shoot yearling bucks or does. My goal is deer that are 2.5 or older, and you cant tell by the antlers. I have a set of antlers from a 4.5 YO buck (jaw aged) that is 6 points. One of the 6 points is a drop tine. I also have a spike rack with 13" spikes. But I have no right to tell another man how to manage his land.
Go to Top of Page

Fred67
Prolific Poster

14313 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2018 :  2:18:03 PM  Show Profile Send Fred67 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bangstick

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ok, Fred. First, I want you to know I am in no way shape or form defending Polbie. Granted, if I make any concession towards him, it's his knowledge of QDM but this has nothing to do with him.

Second, you use the word "understand" to make your point in defense of dog hunting by claiming those that don't do it don't "understand." Personally, I have no problem with that because you're right, the blood pressure rises exponentially when you hear the dogs getting closer. I've been dog hunting twice since moving to SC so I know this first hand but it just wasn't/isn't my cup of tea. Then, you turn around and go passive aggressive with an insult to rifle hunters and how you can't "understand" how anyone can experience the same adrenaline rush because "it's too easy" according to you. So you criticize someone for their beliefs on a particular legal form of hunting and then you turn around and take a shot at another legal form of hunting? What's the difference?

Again, this isn't about dog hunting, rifle hunting or bow hunting. This is about one hunter turning on another hunter over the legal form of hunting each chooses to participate in. Like I said, I don't dog hunt. It's not for me but I support hunters and the legal means of hunting they choose to participate in. Why wouldn't I? Why wouldn't any of us? You basically *****ed at someone for not liking your legal form of hunting and then turn around and *****ed about a different legal form of hunting. At the very least, that's a double standard, if not flat out hypocrisy.

Bang, I still hunt almost exclusively. Hypocrisy?. No sir. Honestly dude when you know your rifle and are confident in your shot placement itís a lot easier than taking a deer running wide open. Iíve missed a couple of deer but not in the last 25 years. Iíve seen people get the shakes fortunately I never have, at least not over a deer. IMO the bad arse hunters are the successful bow hunters , those guys and gals are dedicated.

You are right this is about bolbie giving a man grief about a nice pic and post because of the method used. Then to cover bases throws out a bunch of text book info on how to have quality deer management.

Go to Top of Page

bangstick

2747 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2018 :  2:37:20 PM  Show Profile Send bangstick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
YOU don't get excited about shooting deer with a rifle but that doesn't mean no one else does. Just like someone might not approve of shooting a buck like the one in the picture, others may not feel the same way about shooting a deer with a rifle. That was my point. Why criticize someone for criticizing a particular hunting methodology and then turn around and criticize a different hunting methodology? I'm afraid that is indeed hypocrisy.

I started bowhunting in MD in the mid 80's. I started mainly because as a gun hunter, I couldn't start hunting until the Saturday after Thanksgiving and could only hunt for a week, excluding Sunday (now rifle season is two weeks long in MD) but bow hunters hit the woods in mid September and hunted until the end of January. As it turned out, I fell in love with bow hunting and laid the rifle down for a long time, aside from the end of the season to top off the freezer if need be. I wouldn't say rifle hunting lost the excitement for me but it did lose the challenge. Then I got into single shot handgun hunting (with my T/C Encore) and then I built an AR in a hunting setup (chambered in 6.8 Rem SPC) and both rekindled my love for hunting with a firearm. Granted, I'll be in a stand more often with a bow than a firearm but hunting with a rifle is no less exciting for me. To imply rifle hunting is less exciting in general just to justify your stance on a particular style of hunting is weak at best and down right insulting to hunters that do still get the "rush" from hunting with a rifle. Knowing your rifle and having confidence in it and your abilities have nothing to do with whether it's exciting or not or if you still get an adrenaline rush or not. I "know" every firearm and bow I take the woods and I have total and complete confidence in them and in my own abilities but neither of those variables have anything to do with my level of excitement or whether or not I feel an adrenaline rush.

Again, for me, this has nothing to with Bolbie but to throw one style of hunting under the bus just to bolster your stance on a different style of hunting was in poor taste and I'd like to think out of character. You can't get on someone for one thing and then turn around and do the same thing yourself.

Edited by - bangstick on 08/31/2018 4:24:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Partners-Ship

1588 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2018 :  4:06:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Partners-Ship's Homepage Send Partners-Ship a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well said Bang

Hunting, fishing, and poker are my sports. Work when necessary.
Go to Top of Page

Fred67
Prolific Poster

14313 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2018 :  10:14:44 PM  Show Profile Send Fred67 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bangstick

YOU don't get excited about shooting deer with a rifle but that doesn't mean no one else does. Just like someone might not approve of shooting a buck like the one in the picture, others may not feel the same way about shooting a deer with a rifle. That was my point. Why criticize someone for criticizing a particular hunting methodology and then turn around and criticize a different hunting methodology? I'm afraid that is indeed hypocrisy.

I started bowhunting in MD in the mid 80's. I started mainly because as a gun hunter, I couldn't start hunting until the Saturday after Thanksgiving and could only hunt for a week, excluding Sunday (now rifle season is two weeks long in MD) but bow hunters hit the woods in mid September and hunted until the end of January. As it turned out, I fell in love with bow hunting and laid the rifle down for a long time, aside from the end of the season to top off the freezer if need be. I wouldn't say rifle hunting lost the excitement for me but it did lose the challenge. Then I got into single shot handgun hunting (with my T/C Encore) and then I built an AR in a hunting setup (chambered in 6.8 Rem SPC) and both rekindled my love for hunting with a firearm. Granted, I'll be in a stand more often with a bow than a firearm but hunting with a rifle is no less exciting for me. To imply rifle hunting is less exciting in general just to justify your stance on a particular style of hunting is weak at best and down right insulting to hunters that do still get the "rush" from hunting with a rifle. Knowing your rifle and having confidence in it and your abilities have nothing to do with whether it's exciting or not or if you still get an adrenaline rush or not. I "know" every firearm and bow I take the woods and I have total and complete confidence in them and in my own abilities but neither of those variables have anything to do with my level of excitement or whether or not I feel an adrenaline rush.

Again, for me, this has nothing to with Bolbie but to throw one style of hunting under the bus just to bolster your stance on a different style of hunting was in poor taste and I'd like to think out of character. You can't get on someone for one thing and then turn around and do the same thing yourself.

Hold on , who did I throw under the bus? Iím all about all styles of hunting. This whole issue was Bolbies smart alik comment to sman.

Want criticism, I can give it to many that disserve it. Sman didnít need it. Not sure what your bone is over. Maybe we need to sit down over a drink. Iíll buy. Crazy as this may sound Iíd be happy to buy bolbie a Pepsi or what ever and hash out all our inter net squabbles. . Iíd say other than politics weíd have a lot in common.
Go to Top of Page

salty849

1984 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2018 :  10:16:23 AM  Show Profile Send salty849 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sman came on here looking for an "atta boy" and Charleston fishing blew up. Congrats sman, maybe you'll shoot a big one some day.
Go to Top of Page

sman

1354 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2018 :  8:08:53 PM  Show Profile Send sman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by salty849

Sman came on here looking for an "atta boy" and Charleston fishing blew up. Congrats sman, maybe you'll shoot a big one some day.

Just simply posting a report.Yea,after shooting over a thousand,youíre bound to get a few big ones and none were tame QDM deer.Not that Iíve got anything against that or sitting in a tree.
Go to Top of Page

natureboy

5520 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2018 :  9:37:45 PM  Show Profile Send natureboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps we should be more understanding about Robbie. Some are born as s first, and that's what the world see's from them on. He Can't help it.
Go to Top of Page

bangstick

2747 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2018 :  08:24:07 AM  Show Profile Send bangstick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fred, in your defense of sman's post, his picture and dog hunting against Bolbie's post (which no one was surprised about) you chose to throw rifle hunting under the bus when you said, "I canít understand anyone sitting in a stand with a trophy buck in the crosshairs getting the shakes. Itís too easy." You insulted one form of hunting (and insulted those that participate in that form of hunting) while criticizing someone for insulting a different form of hunting. If you can't see that then there's no amount of drinks you could buy anyone to help the situation. Ignoring it or choosing to not acknowledge it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

No, Bolbie's comment didn't belong here. We all know he was simply being the troll we all know him to be. Subsequently, you fed the troll. His views and beliefs and tendencies are quite predictable. You could've pointed that out without stooping to his level. You could've defended sman's post and dog hunting without marginalizing gun hunting. You chose differently and that was unfortunate.

Go to Top of Page

natureboy

5520 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2018 :  6:59:43 PM  Show Profile Send natureboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have an idea! If Robbie could post his number, we could text him pics of the deer before the shot! Anybody willing to do this?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CharlestonFishing.Com © CharlestonFishing.Com, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000