Weather Recipes Search Charters Classifieds Sponsors YouTube Twitter Facebook FAQ's Calendar Resources CharlestonFishing.Com

a

b

c

d

e

f

g

CharlestonFishing.Com
CharlestonFishing.Com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Your Space
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 CharlestonFishing.Com
 Offshore Discussion
 Opinions on Splitting Cost of Offshore Trips
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Thompson321
Intermediate Member

73 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2019 :  11:22:24 AM  Show Profile Send Thompson321 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seems like everyone has a different take on it so I'm going to throw it out there to discuss. When talking about making a trip offshore, between getting boat from home to coast, gas, bait, ect... How does everyone usually split up the cost? I've heard some say they make it where the captain/boat owner doesn't pay, some include gas in the truck ect ect... Just wanted to hear different opinions on how you all normally split it. I don't think there's a right or wrong way but who knows. I just know I usually end up eating a little bit after I tally up the cost so no better time to ask around. Thanks in advance...

flyinghigh

1032 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2019 :  11:39:19 AM  Show Profile Send flyinghigh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like the cost of boat ownership and wanting to fish to me.
Go to Top of Page

rebelstate
Intermediate Member

72 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2019 :  12:21:20 PM  Show Profile Send rebelstate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Other than having a friend buy the bait or the beer, I end up eating 95% of the costs as the boat owner, also depending on who I take I usually end up taking care of the motel bill too.. point is , sometimes thatís what u gotta do to get people to go, or go alone, and pay 100%, think about it..
Go to Top of Page

Head East

314 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2019 :  12:24:29 PM  Show Profile Send Head East a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Friends who fish with me usually pitch in but yes I normally end up paying most of the cost.

Sea Hunt 212 Triton
"Head East"
Go to Top of Page

Thompson321
Intermediate Member

73 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2019 :  1:02:30 PM  Show Profile Send Thompson321 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have no problem with paying cost associated with everything. It was more of a what does everyone do or people that generally are trying to find someone to go with. What do you run into or expect. Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

FLORIDA_BOY2

981 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2019 :  1:12:03 PM  Show Profile Send FLORIDA_BOY2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a large enough base of friends who love to fish, that the way I set it up is I pay nothing. My crew covers gas in boat, truck, bait & ice. This is because I have the cost of boat payment, insurance, Sea tow, tackle etc. My crew will lose $50 in tackle at a minimum on any given trip. Iíve had a crew member let a whole rod and reel go over.

Mike Martinez

"Team Hookers DreamĒ

2017 Robalo R302 twin 300 yams ďRoballinĒ
Go to Top of Page

Grady Bunch
Intermediate Member

100 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2019 :  1:12:36 PM  Show Profile Send Grady Bunch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We all split gas and bait for the trip.

Grady White 258 WA
"Just for the Halibut"
Go to Top of Page

tanksgt

600 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2019 :  1:51:43 PM  Show Profile Send tanksgt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ever how you do it, make sure everyone understands up front. Don't need hard feelings at the end of the day.

ZX
Go to Top of Page

rebelstate
Intermediate Member

72 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2019 :  2:35:45 PM  Show Profile Send rebelstate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agree 100 % with tanksgt....
Go to Top of Page

natureboy

5020 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2019 :  2:50:40 PM  Show Profile Send natureboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a guest on a trip , I had an entire 9/0 setup fly over the side while trying to get it to a rod holder as a large critter struck at the wrong time. I replaced the entire rig within 48 Hrs , including the black & red Boone lure. When used to do some chip in trips, I paid a portion of the fuel, withholding some for boat expenses & dock fees. Also if I captained , and someone caught an unusually good eating fish - like a triple tail , or a hog - I got a side. It is important that everyone knows whats going on from the start
Go to Top of Page

bennetmp

278 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2019 :  2:51:28 PM  Show Profile Send bennetmp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We split the cost of gas equally. Everyone usually brings different food, beer etc. and no one really asks to be paid back for that. But, you better believe I'm splitting $1,000 gas bill between the crew.

'90 Maverick 18.5' Master Angler/'18 Suzuki 140
'14 Hydra Sports 3400/ 2 350 Yammys

Someone once told me you go out on the water to escape reality, so I thought about it and said no, I get on the water to find relaity
Go to Top of Page

FLORIDA_BOY2

981 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2019 :  3:17:47 PM  Show Profile Send FLORIDA_BOY2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
$1000 gas bill?!?!

Mike Martinez

"Team Hookers DreamĒ

2017 Robalo R302 twin 300 yams ďRoballinĒ
Go to Top of Page

bonecrusher

796 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2019 :  3:31:15 PM  Show Profile Send bonecrusher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Every offshore trip Iíve ever gone on that was on a friends boat, the crew always splits fuel, bait, etc and also provides all provisions. Any beer, water etc not consumed stays with the boat. The boat owner has enough costs, his crew should be more than happy and willing to pay everything for the day.

2016 Boston Whaler 230 Vantage w/300 Merc Verado
Go to Top of Page

rebelstate
Intermediate Member

72 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2019 :  3:49:42 PM  Show Profile Send rebelstate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gas is my biggest expense, at 9 miles a gallon pulling the boat round trip from the upstate, and the average of 49 gallons of pure gas burnt going to the leadge and trolling, (four strokes motors, )bait , beer ,motel, food etc itís easy to spend close to 500 bucks but then again I have only twin 115 Merckís , is it really worth it to troll with 350 triples ?.. at a higher speed going out and the cost of fuel if we both can and have to troll at the same speed ?.. big and bad , poor or rich, donít think the fish give a ****....just sayin..
Go to Top of Page

Grady Bunch
Intermediate Member

100 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2019 :  5:17:45 PM  Show Profile Send Grady Bunch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grady Bunch

We all split gas and bait for the trip.

Grady White 258 WA
"Just for the Halibut"

And we split fish.

Grady White 258 WA
"Just for the Halibut"
Go to Top of Page

Thompson321
Intermediate Member

73 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2019 :  5:27:29 PM  Show Profile Send Thompson321 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We generally split all of the following cost: Fuel for boat, fuel for truck, bait, ect... Everyone brings their own food/beverages. Everyone knows when invited what will be asked of them. Thanks for all of the replies, its good sometimes to hear how others do it and to get some ideas.
Go to Top of Page

bonecrusher

796 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2019 :  7:52:58 PM  Show Profile Send bonecrusher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The crew is also expected to help clean fish and the boat.

Go to Top of Page

Clemsontrout
Intermediate Member

73 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2019 :  8:29:25 PM  Show Profile Send Clemsontrout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like said I feel as long as everyone knows up front. Iíve been a guest 5-10 times a year w same guy for 15 years. Once he started adding more and more motors to the back I said I can only contribute $100-200!a trip. Especially since the yellowfin are gone. I also buy lures or bait from time to time. Bottom line is if youíre fishing offshore it ainít cheap. Also itís gotten a little harder every year.
Go to Top of Page

northchucky

1735 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2019 :  8:49:13 PM  Show Profile Send northchucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Split costs of boat gas and bait. I usually offer to bring food/drinks for the captain but most people I roll with decline on that part.

Always clean/boat fish unless something crazy comes up. Harder now with having a 2 year old. Schedules get tighter

Captain gets choice filets.

I try to bring tackle and pitch in with my close buddies when I can.

Boat owner still ends up getting the shaft sometimes.... well most of the time probably. I do my best to contribute and be a helpful member of the crew for what itís worth

"mr keys"
Go to Top of Page

boatpoor

4044 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2019 :  9:05:11 PM  Show Profile Send boatpoor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No one has brought up clean up after the trip,Then owner seem to always get stuck with it. You have to have a boat to know the work involved to wash, stow and get ready for the next trip. There is also a lot of expence just to sto the boat either on trailer or mooring!
Go to Top of Page

Thompson321
Intermediate Member

73 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2019 :  08:18:59 AM  Show Profile Send Thompson321 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got a good "normal crew" that will always stay behind and help clean the boat, even if it's midnight.... For the most part people I've met on here have always been more than willing to chip in and help as well. It's good to see everyone's thoughts on it. Thanks guys.
Go to Top of Page

saltydog235
Prolific Poster

13131 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2019 :  09:25:33 AM  Show Profile  Send saltydog235 a Yahoo! Message Send saltydog235 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got a sign on the boat that says ďThis boat runs on gas not thanksĒ. Boat goes on the lift, if you can filet fish then go, if you canít start cleaning. If you donít want to do either, pay for your share and hit the road. Rarely do I have someone that wonít pitch in and do their share.

Mark
Southport 28TE
2X Yamaha F250
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid" John Wayne

Go to Top of Page

bennetmp

278 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2019 :  09:37:07 AM  Show Profile Send bennetmp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"$1000 gas bill?!?!" Unfortunately, but also depends on where we are fishing - The boat eats fuel at about .8 mpg no matter the speed. When we're high speeding it goes over that, but sometimes I can get out for $700-$800.

'90 Maverick 18.5' Master Angler/'18 Suzuki 140
'14 Hydra Sports 3400/ 2 350 Yammys

Someone once told me you go out on the water to escape reality, so I thought about it and said no, I get on the water to find relaity
Go to Top of Page

bonecrusher

796 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2019 :  11:25:39 AM  Show Profile Send bonecrusher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thompson321

I've got a good "normal crew" that will always stay behind and help clean the boat, even if it's midnight.... For the most part people I've met on here have always been more than willing to chip in and help as well. It's good to see everyone's thoughts on it. Thanks guys.

If you bolt without cleaning fish and cleaning the boat, you don't get invited back.

Go to Top of Page

Wolakrab

1841 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2019 :  12:40:29 PM  Show Profile Send Wolakrab a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I split the cost of a trip using my boat and I take 5 crewmembers, I split the tab for fuel, ice, & bait 5 ways-the crew is responsible for bringing their own food and drink. I pay for the dockage, maintenance, taxes, insurance, and don't expect to share those costs. I've never had anyone complain about this arrangement.
An unwritten rule is that if you don't help wash the boat after getting back to the dock, then you shouldn't expect another invitation.

"Never argue with an idiot....he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

Edited by - Wolakrab on 03/01/2019 12:43:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

cbeck6523

298 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2019 :  12:47:23 PM  Show Profile Send cbeck6523 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Depending who comes I usually pay for most of it. My bro is good about paying for stuff though. He gets invited every trip lol.

2018 Sea Fox 226 Commander
Catching Chaos
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CharlestonFishing.Com © CharlestonFishing.Com, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000