Chris V :Yamaha Oil Transfer Float Switch.

I’m having an intermittent issue on the Port engine with the float switch that controls the refilling of the oil tank on the engine. The pump will keep running and overfill the tank resulting in oil getting dumped into the airbox (which it’s suppose to do) and running thru the engine causing a reduction in power, high oil consumption and making the Starboard engine work harder, burn more fuel & oil. Has anyone else had this issue? I’d like a 3rd opinion before I spend $160 to replace the float switch. 1993 Yamaha 150. Thanks in advance. Brooks

GW 232GT Gulfstream
150Yam x 2
“3rd Day”
Gen. Chap.1 Vs.9-13

Anybody?

GW 232GT Gulfstream
150Yam x 2
“3rd Day”
Gen. Chap.1 Vs.9-13 BRETT “Skibo” JOHNSON FOR MAYOR OF JAMES ISLAND

Have you tested the limits of the switch? Test it over and over to see if you can duplicate the issue.

TESTING THE FLOAT SWITCH

An ohmmeter can be used to check the switches inside the main tanks float assembly. Carefully remove the unit, making sure the black foam sealing washer stays with the tubular filter element. If it remains in the tank, the seal can be forced into the feed hose going to the engine-driven metering pump which could block the flow of oil.
Hook up the negative lead to the black ground wire, and the positive lead to each other wire in turn. When you move the float, the ohmmeter should show that each switch “closes” when the float passes by. If any switches are defective, the assembly must be replaced. Be sure to install a new foam sealing washer every time the assembly is reinstalled.

Follow the service manual procedure when testing the remote tank’s float switch. It is normally closed, and opens when activated by the float. Early models have electronics inside the assembly and require different test methods than later models containing the circuitry in the oil-controller.

Yamaha’s Precision Blend oil-transfer system is very reliable, but as an outboard ages, problems may develop. Fortunately, it is a relatively easy system to troubleshoot with ordinary tools and an ohmmeter. Armed with this article and a service manual, you can enjoy the smug satisfaction of avoiding expensive shop time should a malfunction ever occur.

www.berkeleyoutdoors.com

Had a problem like that, apparently if you use cheaper oil (as opposed to yamalube), it will gum up alot quicker and can cause the float switch in the tank on the engine to stick. I had to have the small tank cleaned out, and I’ve been buying Yamalube in bulk from the dealership (much cheaper than buying retail) and havent had a problem since. Dont know if this helps but just my $.02

Thanks for the replies. scboatservice, I printed your instructions and will proceed. ReelTalk06, the engines have been run on Havoline since new (93). I’m not sure the float hangs up. I’m thinking that as the float/magnet passes the internal switches and due to normal wear, they may not be contacting everytime causing the issue. (I’m a big fan of Yamalube) Thanks again for the responses. Tight Lines. Brooks

GW 232GT Gulfstream
150Yam x 2
“3rd Day”

just noticed this
it is not uncommon for this to happen
SCboats gave you very good advice
we have also seen issue like this with corrosion in the wiring harness between the boat tank and the motor.
also seen the problem be the control module on the motor ($7-800)

www.teamcharlestonmarine.com
www.joinrfa.org

Hey Chris, are you talking about the harness that feeds the transfer pump? And what Control Module on the motor? ($7-800) Thanks. Brooks

GW 232GT Gulfstream
150Yam x 2
“3rd Day”

the harness that goes from the motor, to the tank on the boat, its flat, and I think it has 4 wires in it.
there is a “powerpack” on the back of the motor, and its what controls the alarms and oil transfer
what model is your motor

www.teamcharlestonmarine.com
www.joinrfa.org

Switch test results: 1 is closed, 0 is open. Float UP: gnd to blue/white 1, blue/red (next to gnd) 0, blue/red 0, blue/green 0 and Float Down: gnd to blue/white 0, blue/red (next to gnd) 1, blue/red 1, blue/green 0 (goes to 1 in the middle, otherwise 0 at the top & bottom). Remember this is in a static condition sitting on a test bench. Thanks for all the replies. Lets get this puppy fixed !!!

GW 232GT Gulfstream
150Yam x 2
“3rd Day”