Gas Removal

I filled my 38 gallon tank last year with Ethanol fuel and due to family obligations, I have not been able to run the boat for almost 8 months. I did treat the fuel when I filled, but I want to get the fuel out and replace it with new, non-ethanol fuel. I do have a fuel/water separator. Where can I buy a cheap pump that will pump out the old fuel?

Thanks

Try Northern Tool or Tractor Supply. They should have pumps that are safe to use with combustable liquids.

garden hose…start suck’n. i did it with my 88gal. tank. or the hose for a tank with a primer bulb use it as a pump. done that before also.

23’ May-Craft Pilothouse
175 Ocean Runner
http://www.brookssigns.com

You could pick up a universal 12v fuel pump from the auto parts store. They run about $30.

I’ve ended up with two of them over the years. If you were local, I’d offer to let you borrow one.

capntang has the idea. It works and allows you to get the “junk” in the bottom.

GW 232GT Gulfstream
150Yam x 2
“3rd Day”
Gen. Chap.1 Vs.9-13 BRETT “Skibo” JOHNSON FOR MAYOR OF JAMES ISLAND

I just disconnected the fuel line from the motor and used primer bulb to get it going. Kept the gas cans lower than the tank and filled them up one by one. I just kept cranking the boat up until I eventually put the trailer jack on a cinder block until all of the fuel was gone. Of course, I only have a 30 gallon tank, so I don’t have as much as most. Good luck however you do it.

The best way to a fisherman’s heart is through his fly.

2002 Florida Skiff
90 Merc.

Thanks for the responses!! If I go the 12v pump route, where do I run the line into the tank, thru the fill hole or somewhere else?

Through the sending unit hole.

GW 232GT Gulfstream
150Yam x 2
“3rd Day”
Gen. Chap.1 Vs.9-13 BRETT “Skibo” JOHNSON FOR MAYOR OF JAMES ISLAND

What cdub said, it works fine. I averaged about 10 minutes per 5.4 gallon can and had 26 gallons onboard. Run the old gas in one of your vehicles. No problem.

quote:
Originally posted by cdub

I just disconnected the fuel line from the motor and used primer bulb to get it going. Kept the gas cans lower than the tank and filled them up one by one. I just kept cranking the boat up until I eventually put the trailer jack on a cinder block until all of the fuel was gone. Of course, I only have a 30 gallon tank, so I don’t have as much as most. Good luck however you do it.

2002 Florida Skiff
90 Merc.

quote:
Originally posted by redfish4sure

What cdub said, it works fine. I averaged about 10 minutes per 5.4 gallon can and had 26 gallons onboard. Run the old gas in one of your vehicles. No problem.

quote:

2002 Florida Skiff
90 Merc.

Be careful… starters aren’t meant to run 10 minutes continuously. If you go this rout make sure you keep your hand on the starter and don’t let it overheat.

Starters??? Boat is off, no pump, gas is just draining from the fuel line that I disconnected from the motor. Kind of like when you used to suck the hose until the gas came out…now I just squeeze the primer bulb until the gas starts flowing. Then I keep the empty gas tanks lower than the boats gas tank and gas keeps flowing until it is empty. He is just saying it takes about 10 minutes to fill up a 5 gallon gas tank because the gas comes out a little slow with this method. Maybe the word cranking is causing the confusion. I just cranked (turned the handle) the boat up as high as the trailer jack would allow and then put it on a cynder block because my pickup is in the rear of the tank. That way I can make sure all the fuel is out. :slight_smile:

2002 Florida Skiff
90 Merc.

quote:

Starters??? Boat is off, no pump, gas is just draining from the fuel line that I disconnected from the motor. Kind of like when you used to suck the hose until the gas came out…now I just squeeze the primer bulb until the gas starts flowing. Then I keep the empty gas tanks lower than the boats gas tank and gas keeps flowing until it is empty. He is just saying it takes about 10 minutes to fill up a 5 gallon gas tank because the gas comes out a little slow with this method. Maybe the word cranking is causing the confusion. I just cranked (turned the handle) the boat up as high as the trailer jack would allow and then put it on a cynder block because my pickup is in the rear of the tank. That way I can make sure all the fuel is out. :slight_smile:

2002 Florida Skiff
90 Merc.

Cdub, I thought you were suggesting he grind it out with the motor’s starter or something. I agree 100 % with you on siphoning it out with the primer bulb….sorry for reading your reply wrong.

If you have an anti siphon valve at the tank you will be pumping the primer bulb a long time. I tried that trick but gave up. Went to wal mart and bought one of those gas station style pumps and it worked a lot better.

No problem…I am not the best with boats so I had to go back and read and make sure I wrote it the correct way. Better safe than sorry!

2002 Florida Skiff
90 Merc.