fiberglass gas tanks

been haveing fuel problems in my 28 bertram. have been reading about the effect of ethenol on fiber fuel tanks. so today I drained my tank and took a sawsall to it. what a mess the layers of fiberglass had seperated and the interor layer was like leather. gas had filterered thru all layers. It took me about 4 hours to completely remove the whole tank and pressure wash the bildge area. have a buddy who has a alum. fab shop and he is building me a new tank a lot less expensive than the custom tanks i found on the net.

Wow, that’s fast, I didn’t expect to start hearing about fiberglass tanks dissolving from the ethanol untill another year or two.

Russ B.
www.joinrfa.org
God is great, Beer is good, People are crazy

I’ve seen several Boston Whaler FG tanks replaced due to ethanol induced delamination. bad deal.

Luckily the fiberglass tanks on the whalers are all above deck. All the 80’s and above 18 to 27’ outrages had below deck alumn tanks made by flordia marine.

I had to put a new tank on the 15’. Whaler used a company called pate for their fiberglass tanks. It does not take long for the ethanol to tear them up.

But my tank on the 15 lasted 21 years before the ethanol got it, so did not mind the investment.

yep, the pace tanks in the whalers have been failing for several years

www.teamcharlestonmarine.com
www.joinrfa.org