The New HOT Redfish bait.....

So, I was playing around in the water yesterday looking for new fishy spots at low tide when I happened upon this. I was up in the ICW area looking at some piles of oysters that started to look very fishy to me when I saw this thing floating around…yep looks like a redfish to me, an overslot one at that. Some idiot caught this guy and didn’t bother to revive him properly (at least that’s what I thought to myself at first).

So, noticing that he was a pretty healthy sized fish, I decided to get a closer look. Aruugghh!! Gross! What is that in his mouth?! Is that a bunch of little crabs crawling out or what!?! OK, So, I have to get a little closer…wait, that’s not what I think it is. It can’t be!

Sure enough, this 32" redfish had eyes bigger than his stomach. He had tried to take on this large turtle and it was all over from there. The turtle was about 10" long from tail to head and when the redfish tried to consume him, the backside of the shell got stuck in those few little upper teeth that redfish have and the turtle got stuck. The redfish choked to death on his last meal that he never got to enjoy. When I found him the gills were wide open as I’m sure he suffered for a while trying to breath with that large object in his mouth. This actually kind of reminds me of that email sent out a while back with the catfish trying to eat the basketball.

Its a shame such a nice fish had to die, but let this be a lesson to all of us, redfish really aren’t that finacky, they are indeed opportunistic feeders. I know people that have seen reds eat mice up on the flats too. This certainly ranks up there with the strangest things I’ve seen a redfish eat.

I’m gonna go talk to MadMike today about tying me up some turtle flies!

Enjoy the pictures.

DISCLAIMER: I realize that I should not have removed an overslot redfish from the water and possessed a dead overslot fish in my boat, however, I took these photos with the intention of sharing this information with DNR, as I believe it might be

Wow, that is amazing. What a shame, the turtle dies to feed the red and gets his revenge by choking him. Nature can be cruel I guess. Thanks for sharing.

What kind of hook and where should it be placed in the turtle???

reelly…

www.LowTideRedfish.com

I was thinking a large circle in the corner of the shell, kinda like fishing with a whole blue crab.

Can you imagine though? The red attempted to swallow the turtle head first, it’s not like it chased the turtle down to eat it. That turtle saw its doom coming straight at it…

…because everything is a conspiracy!!!

maybe that is why the diamond back terrapin is disappearing.

I used to see way more terrapins than I do now,really a neat turtle.

Cool pics. Thanks for sharing.

quote:
Originally posted by Bolbie

maybe that is why the diamond back terrapin is disappearing.

I used to see way more terrapins than I do now,really a neat turtle.

Saw thousands of babies near the castle back in April/May.

Now when we are gigging the cooper, in certain areas, there are lots. It’s not uncommon for us to see a hundred or so in one particular little area.

That reminds me of that picture of that bird trying to swallow that frog and the frog has his hands around the bird’s neck with the caption at the bottom that says “never give up”:sunglasses:

Those are some awesome pics.

1999 Hydra-Sport 170 Seahorse

Large redfish in the marsh/bayou areas of the Gulf have been dissected and Nutrias found in many of them. They could be eating small mammals in our area as well.

Gone Phishing

quote:
Originally posted by mahimadman

Large redfish in the marsh/bayou areas of the Gulf have been dissected and Nutrias found in many of them. They could be eating small mammals in our area as well.

Gone Phishing

I just can’t begin to imagine how he could digest that shell though…I’m sure it happens, it just doesn’t seem like an easy thing to do. Like I said above, I know they eat mice, but those are little bones. A turtle shell is a different story. Ouch. :smiley:

They are able to digest Crab shells no? or maybe not, I’m not sure.

Insert Funny Line Here

quote:
Originally posted by kut08

They are able to digest Crab shells no? or maybe not, I’m not sure.

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>Some mornings I feel like I am passing a turtle.

Should I not have said that? Is that not a good image? I’m sorry. :smiley:

18’ CC w/ 115 Yami

My guess is the crushers in the throat of the red would have broken the shell into smaller pieces. Ive had dozens of Black Drum poop HUGE pieces of clam shells on the boat after being caught. Im talking about some of the biggest clams youd ever seen broken into still large pieces. It cant feel good with those thick jagged pieces passing thru the exit though. BTW, Im talking about Black drum over 40 lbs.

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

…DISCLAIMER: I realize that I should not have removed an overslot redfish from the water and possessed a dead overslot fish in my boat, however, I took these photos with the intention of sharing this information with DNR, as I believe it might be useful information to them for their continuing research on redfish behavior.

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>Sorry Rick but… I am going to laugh my azz off when DNR gives you that ticket for possession of an over slot fish. :smiley:

One of my favorite COPS episodes is when the crack lady flags the Dallas cop down and explains she was ripped off for $20 by a guy who sold her ‘beat’ crack. The next shot is of the cop putting the cuffs on her for admitting she was breaking the law. Your heart is in the right place and I promise I will come visit you in jail. :clown_face:

one time i seen a donkey eat a beaver

Im just tickled hasselhoff is gone!

Cool shots. Last year on the Skykomish, I saw a bald eagle dive for a fish, catch it, breast stroke back to the beach, attempt to fly, eat some of the fish, attempt to fly, eat more of the fish, and finally gave up, and ate the rest of the fish. I’ll have to try and find the pics we took.

The Arsenal: 17’ home-built jet sled, 1996 F-350 Powerstroke CrewCab, 1980 10’ Dynacruiser camper.

“Fish don’t catch themselves.”

Cool pics. All of the posts reminded me of this joke.

A guy walks into a bar with his pet monkey. He orders a drink and while he’s drinking, the monkey jumps all around the place.
The monkey grabs some olives off the bar and eats them. Then grabs some sliced limes and eats them. Then jumps onto the pool table, grabs one of the billiard balls, sticks it in his mouth, and to everyone’s amazement, somehow swallows it whole.

The bartender screams at the guy “Did you see what your monkey just did?”

The guy says “No, what?” “He just ate the cue ball off my pool table-whole!”

"Yeah, that doesn’t surprise me, "replied the guy. “He eats everything in sight, the little bastard. Sorry. I’ll pay for the cue ball and stuff.” He finishes his drink, pays his bill, pays for the stuff the monkey ate, then leaves.

Two weeks later he’s in the bar again, and has his monkey with him. He orders a drink and the monkey starts running around the bar again. While the man is finishing his drink, the monkey finds a maraschino cherry on the bar. He grabs it, sticks it up his butt, pulls it out, and eats it. The bartender is disgusted.

“Did you see what your monkey did now?” he asks.

“No, what?” replies the guy. “Well, he stuck a maraschino cherry up his butt, pulled it out, and ate it!” said the bartender.

“Yeah, that doesn’t surprise me,” replied the guy. " He still eats everything in sight, but ever since he swallowed that cue ball, he measures everything first…"

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

I’ve cleaned keeper Reds with a double handful of snails, shells and all. No way Charmin could make it feel better.

Capt. Steve Fralin
Ugly Ducklin Charters
The Longest Established Inshore Fishing Guide at Edisto
Edisto Island, SC 29438
843-869-1580
843-908-2071
http://www.edistofishingcharters.com