Monday Morning

Took my wife and daughter. Arrived at 0540 to a fog coverd lake. East wind was blowing slightly. Forgot my depth finder. Picked up 1 Doz BB’s and went to the towers. Maybe I could guess the depth of the fish. Bait died quickly once on the hook. We were down at 40 ft, but saw someone else catching fish at 30ft. We reeled up to 30 and caught 2 peanuts, then nothing else. Used the trolling motor to ease around, saw some small ones hitting topwater. At 0900 we called it and dumped a couple BB’s, along with some saved dead ones and the dern fish came up next to the boat schooling. Now thats a pain in the butt to see. I threw a few artificals at them, no hits. I should have had a free line in the whole morning but forgot. Its been 10 months since I fished in the morning. Looks like I got rusty.

I am a fisherman who likes to fish deeper than most but i never count out the top water in the early mornin exspecially during a foggy overcast in the morning like today. my biggest fish to date (18+#) came on a freeline in AUGUST when my downrods were spread from 50 to 80’ deep.

Yeah, I know. I need to get back to my roots (Topwater). I never bought bait either. I fished all artificial. However, that was when we had lots of grass and fish schooled. Ah…the good ole days.