Yamaha 40 HP 2-stroke won't rev up

Yamaha 40 HP 2-stoke bogged down while running at speed and now will not run above idle. Seems to be oiling, cooling, gas flow is good, fresh gas with PRI-G. No alarms. Good pee-hole flow. Checked battery connections, etc. Just will not power up. Any ideas?

Plug gone bad same thing today

31 CONTENDER

Fouled or just bad?

Changed plugs…ran better for a bit, but again bogged down and felt like a cylinder may be cutting in and out.

Blockage in the carb.

Run ethanol treatment or check for water in the bottom of tank.

start at teh begining
do a compression test, then check for spark on all 3 cylinders
if that all checks good, then start looking at fuel (carbs)

www.teamcharlestonmarine.com
www.joinrfa.org

quote:
Originally posted by chris V

start at teh begining
do a compression test, then check for spark on all 3 cylinders
if that all checks good, then start looking at fuel (carbs)

www.joinrfa.org

Thanks Chris V. I did the compression test…110 on all cylinders, spark is good. I also saw where you and another guy mentioned using the choke as a test, so when it was bogging down, I hit the toggle switch for the choke a few times and it would pick up and go. Later it would start to sputter and bog down and I could always get it to go (after a short hesitation) by using the choke. Does that definitively say blockage in the carbs?

Sounds like the carbs. I had the same issue on my 90 HP 2 stroke last year. I took the carbs out cleaned them good and then put them back in. Also the float was stuck in them so make sure while cleaning them to toggle the floats up and down and then reinstall. This solved my problem.

sounds like carbs to me

www.joinrfa.org

Rebuilt carbs and cleaned fuel filter…all is well. Thanks for the advice!