No, thats not a mullet!

Yesterday my son was casting the net off our dock at Edisto, and he kept telling me he caught a couple big mullet for fishing today. I went out to check that evening and, no, they weren’t mullet. They were shad(!) About 8" long.

I was surprised. He said he had caught them before in the past but just thought they were mullet.

Anyone ever heard of something like this? We are on a tidal creek that is not fed by freshwater, ie. not brackish. Its completely refreshed with saltwater every tide cycle. I thought that was pretty interesting.

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”

hey opti.

what kind of shad?

PP I wish I had taken a photo for positive ID but looking on a website it looks like an American Shad, which I think is the same as we catch up at the dam, no?

yes, i’ve caught em in the cast net in the cooper but not this late. weird. bob know anything about this?

Peapod, All I know is I wish I had a 5 #er to bake or some fresh roe to scramble with some spring onions and eggs. Bob

Bob Sanders
FishingWithBob
Edisto Inshore Charters
Big Fork Farms LLC
Real Estate Sales
803-300-2780
803-259-1374
www.fishingwithbob.com
www.southcarolinalandonline.com

Bob I’ll call ya if Ian nets a 5 pounder!

bob i got a few this year, but no 5 lb’ers and few roes.

opti rode along one trip for - you guessed it - the worst of the 3-4 trips up we took.

the dnr guy said it was bad this year.

We need the lock to break in march again like 10 or so years ago. Best year ever!:sunglasses:

been getting them with the mullet around the harbor inlets

Half Mine II/ TEAM GEICO
2660 Sailfish
150 Yamahas