1992 EVINRUDE 150

Have a 150 Evinrude that runs great. Only problem is that spark plug in number one cylinder keeps getting covered with unknown substance. It may be carbon or maybe the ring is going. There is no hesitation and the compression is still good in all cylinders. When the plug dries it is covered with a tan colored substance. I have heard of a manufacture defect with this motor that causes something in the motor to breakdown and get into system. Have thought of carbs and fuel but wonder why only the number one cylinder. Any ideas before I rebuild the whole thing.

Ruddy’s are pretty much bullet proof, and seeing that you already are planning on a rebuild, let’er eat!

…Politicians aren’t the “Oldest Profession”, but the results are still the same!!!

might be that top duece carb is gunked up. Go through the fuel system. I have a Rude 150xp and she is great as long as fuel system stays clean

Mike
Wellcraft 250, 225 OMC
17’ Hydrasports bass boat, 150 Evinrude
12’ jon, 24lb thrust MK
16’ canoe, oars

Thanks guys. I think I will try to clear fuel lines and clean out carbs. Then I might as well run her hard and see what happens.