stuck steering

I know this has probally been covered a bunch, sorry. Ive been out of town for the last 6 weeks and returned to stuck steering. i have tried working grease in but it wont budge. the cable eventually broke but i cant get it free to replace until i free the steering column. ive tried tapping/hitting with a wood block and hammer, even removing grease, laying wet towels down, and a minute on the propane torch to possible lossen the internal @#$%. anybody have a remedy before i lose it?
thanks

www.flyfishingsc.com

Had mine stick tight once. Took more than a tap with a hammer to get it going. Lots of WD40 or CRC - and give it hell. I remember a 4# machinist hammer and a large drift pin. Was all crusty inside the tube in front of the motor clamps. It went in and it’s gotta come out! Once it moves the first time it will go. I salvaged mine the first time. After good cleaning I lubed it up with marine grease and anti-seize mix. Went in the mid-cable about 18 months but, it came out easy then.

J Ford

Scotty, Glad to hear you’re back, hope all went well.

Fram on the dang thing a good bit, and once you get it out, use a small hone tool(conects to drill) to smooth out the inner steering tube bore.

Drop me a PM if’n you need some help/tool.

Not trying to hijack your thread but I had the same problem after last winter. Had to use a mallet and wood block. Has anyone ever used one of the aftermarket nuts that has a grease fitting on it so you can better grease the steering shaft? It replaces the factory one. Just wondering, it “looks” like a good idea.

mine froze until i had the mechanic make it “smooth as butter”. i cant explain but it has something to do with electro somethings creating a solid mass that prevents wd 40, motion lotion and anything else working on it. whitton marine fixed mine “smooth as butter” and a force engine at that. i’m sure chas marine, seels and all others can help but you probably need a mechanic. hammers sometimes work but in the long run it probably will refreeze. as a matter of fact, geralds tire used a hammer to show me i needed a new fuel pump in my chevy. it wouldnt crank, he hit the tank with a hammer and it cranked. decision - carry a hammer and hit the tank whenever i want to go somewhere or let the mechanic fix it. i chose the mechanic.

Kick your outboard really hard. It works. Wear boots.