School’s In Session

“Today’s forecast, highs will reach in the upper nineties with a heat index of 110-degrees. Winds will be out of the southwest at 5 to 10 miles per hour and there is a 30 percent chance of thunderstorms this afternoon.” Sound familiar? This forecast conjures up several thoughts in my mind: cooler full of cold water, sunscreen, schooling fish, and a raincoat and keen eye to the sky to be on the safe side.

The heat of the summer brings in schools of Spanish mackerel, Bluefish, and Jack Cervalle into the inlets and the harbor. Hot days with light winds and calm waters are perfect for targeting these fish. I have enjoyed fishing these summer schools for many years with family and friends and over the years we have learned a few techniques that help to work these schools effectively. Though this list of techniques is not complete hopefully it will help shed some light on how to work these fish:

Finding the school – Obviously the most critical aspect of targeting these fish is finding the fish. Under calm conditions hunting for surface disturbances or slicks is the ticket. Surface disturbance is a result of fish chasing top water bait fish. At times schools may be active below the surface, under these circumstances a slick may result as oil is released from devoured baitfish. Bird activity is another way to locate fish and this subject could lead into a 4 page article in itself. Perhaps the most important point to keep in mind here is that Terns usually follow inshore schools feeding off of chunks of devoured baitfish. Terns swooping, diving and occasionally landing on the water are signs that fish schools are present and actively feeding. Hint: A good pair of 7 X 50s binoculars come in handy locating birds and fish.

Working the school – Perhaps the toughest part of fishing schools is boat positioning. Many times I have run right over a school causing them to sound in attempt to get within casting distance. When approaching a school, approach from a safe distance and determine which direction the school is run