90hp Johnson 1996 Oceanrunner V4

Needing some suggestions.

Tach works great at idle but anything over that shuts it down??

Looked for a busted wire but don’t really know what I’m looking for/at? (1st boat)

Anybody?

Thanks
Mike

If it ain’t broke…let me try!

just guessing… but, my 1995 88spl gets its tach signal from the rectifier. You don’t have just a rectifier. You have a rectifier with a voltage regulator. But, I think it is the same in terms of where the tach gets its signal. I’d check your rectifier/regulator. The problem is there or in the gauge, itself.

I think… I am just guessing…

17’ Henry O Hornet
26’ Palmer Scott

Thanks PS but no clue what I’m looking at here.

Where’s the “GO TO” place for a new tach???

Anyone??

Thanks

If it ain’t broke…let me try!

'90 Seapro 1700cc
'96 Johnson Oceanrunner V4 90hp

Any local marine dealer, West Marine or an online source. Nothing personal, but if you don’t know much about outboards & electronics, its best to leave that to a pro. You may end up buying a new tach and it not be the problem. Then you end up $wapping part$ until you find the culprit.

Ditto to what Loosewire said. If you have a bad rectifier/regulator, then you are not charging you batteries correctly,… maybe not at all. You could burn through some $$$ swapping parts to no avail and to the detriment of your battery and safety.

If you can turn a wrench a little, then buy a manual for the motor and do a little reading. My Seloc manual is not bad. They’re available everywhere. If you look at the manual and it still doesn’t make any sense, take it to ChrisV. Don’t want to get left stranded.

17’ Henry O Hornet
26’ Palmer Scott