Badonk-A-Donk Strikes Again

Many of you will remember an article I put together back in June on Bomber Baits new topwater plug the Badonk-A-Donk. My first introduction to the Badonk-A-Donk came just a few weeks prior to the article when Andy had told me he had a hand full of Badonk-A-Donks for us to try out. When he first announced this to me I was taken back because I really was not certain as to what a Badonk-A-Donk was nor was I certain if it could be used legally in the United States. Andy had gone on to explain that Mark Davis, a good friend of Andys and a tackle rep with Bomber Baits, and had sent these new topwater baits to us to test and get some ■■■■■■■■ on. After our first early morning top water trip using the baits we had plenty of ■■■■■■■■ for Mark and as a matter of fact I took some of the ■■■■■■■■ home that morning and fried them up for dinner that night. The baits proved to be downright deadly for the early morning and late afternoon topwater trout bite here in the lowcountry.

Well here we are a mere six months later and the local tackle shops can hardly keep the lures on the shelf. Bomber has since introduced several new colors and Mark has gotten these into our hands for further testing. They say a picture is worth a 1000 words, so there really is no need for me to write any more. Below are a few pictures taken the week before Thanksgiving. These are photos of the new Badonk-A-Donk colors in action. As you can tell it was a picture perfect morning, pressure was dropping, and we were fishing the last two hours of incoming tide around James Island. The baits were cast over live and dead shell beds lining the river and most hit after working the bait for a few revolutions of the reel and then briefly pausing the bait. We started casting at 6:30 am and wrapped up a little after 8. While the total count may not sound that impressive 6 fish caught with 2 released, 1 fish lost at the boat, and probably 8 to 10-blow ups; here is the impressive part, the two fish released were both estimated in the 5 to 6 pound range. Those