Fly Cast Distance

I am new to saltwater fly fishing and just recently got an 8-9 weight TFO rod. I am a moderately experienced fly fisherman and can cast fairly well with a 5 wt rod. Right now I am maxing out my distance with the 8-9 wt at about 20 yds or 60 feet. Is this far enough to be effective on the saltwateer “tailing” flats. I am excited to get out there and start trying in the spring, but I want to be sure I am equipped to make it happen. Any help would be much appreciated.

yep. you may catch a few fish past 60’, but most will be well within 50’.
chris.

That’s very adequate for high tide flats. However, you may be failing to accurately estimate your casting distance. Don’t forget to apply the LF coefficient (live fish). When casting to live fish, your distance will be approx 1/3 of your over grass distance. And, mathematicals models show that most fly fishermen throw 18.9 times more spider webs over fish than over grass.

17’ Henry O Hornet
26’ Palmer Scott

Distance is good, but accuracy is better. f you can consistently hit your target, you’re going to catch a whole lot more fish than if you can lay out 90’ of line every time.

And to echo nbk, 60’ is more than adequate. Sure, there will be fish that you see at further distances, but the majority of your chances will be inside 60’.

quote:
Originally posted by FishinFrenzy

Distance is good, but accuracy is better. f you can consistently hit your target, you’re going to catch a whole lot more fish than if you can lay out 90’ of line every time.

And to echo nbk, 60’ is more than adequate. Sure, there will be fish that you see at further distances, but the majority of your chances will be inside 60’.

Long time no see Doyle. How’s that new job workin out for you?

yella bote
black motor

Thanks for all the help guys. Hoping to hook one to my fly line this Spring.

quote:
Originally posted by KiawahCoast

I am new to saltwater fly fishing and just recently got an 8-9 weight TFO rod. I am a moderately experienced fly fisherman and can cast fairly well with a 5 wt rod. Right now I am maxing out my distance with the 8-9 wt at about 20 yds or 60 feet. Is this far enough to be effective on the saltwateer “tailing” flats. I am excited to get out there and start trying in the spring, but I want to be sure I am equipped to make it happen. Any help would be much appreciated.

I promise you I am not ragging on you but, I don't understand why your casts are stopping at 60 feet. No reason that any fly rod would have to stop at 60 feet. And to answer the question of "is this far enough"? Yes. More than adequate.

I think I caught one fish (red fish) at 80 feet plus, last year. All the others were lots closer. :wink:

By the way… which model TRO did you get? Nice rods.

I got the TFO RLX combo. I like it. I am maxing out my distance at 60 feet, because that seems to be about as far as I can get my cast to go without screwing it up. It is probably just operator error as I am not an expert fly caster and have not mastered the double haul yet.

quote:
Originally posted by KiawahCoast

I got the TFO RLX combo. I like it. I am maxing out my distance at 60 feet, because that seems to be about as far as I can get my cast to go without screwing it up. It is probably just operator error as I am not an expert fly caster and have not mastered the double haul yet.

Got ya. Fortunately, having to cast the whole line is not a must. Just got to put your time in and distance comes soon enough.

just remember to take your time casting and let the rod fully load and you will get that extra distance.
chris.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice.

Accuracy is much more important than distance in this case. Sometimes the fish will swim within a rod length of you. Just like anything else, practice. Also read up as much as you can on casting. Check out youtube for videos. Even experienced casters can use fine tuning. I have been fly fishing for fifteen years and read in a book the other day on a slightly different technique that one individual uses to cast. I already expect it to cure a few of my casting problems and expend less energy casting. Pretty excited to try it out once it gets warmer out

There is no normal life, there’s just life.

Tarpon 140

Knot the Reel World Fly Fishing LLC

check out the federation of flyfishers website. more info than you would ever want on casting.

I started a year ago with some help from a friend. I caught 3 or 4 reds now, but do most of my casting in the backyard. I seem to max out at about 65ft w/ the haul, practicing almost every night.
I need to concentrate on fundamentals but really just enjoy casting:)
I went christmas in yak and saw a dozen or so but only got 2 or 3 repectable cast with no hook-ups.