today 1/15 - ups and downs

like an idiot, i chose to go where nobody has been
talking about(i should have went to the other side of the road)

25 degrees at 7am. boy i tell ya, this is the last time i move North!!

i have not been able to get the line wet in some time now so i guess i could expect to be a little rusty

beautiful sunrise, glass everywhere. so i paddled out to my favorite spots. i searched and searched. the water was so clear it almost seemed it was not there. then my first sighting :roll_eyes: a belly up red. i figured someone gut hooked him, oh well flipper will find him. a bit later, a couple of pups belly up :roll_eyes:. this day not looking too good. i proceeded out to the icw to battle for the schools, found a few 10-20 packs but no takers. i was glad to see fish swimming though.

i guess i have a question to the experienced winter guys. what happened to “the ville”? it has always been a gaurantee and plentiful at that.

as the tide came in, i paddled back crossing the sound. i decided to check one last spot. to my surprise i found the largest school of reds i have ever seen, 300-500 easy. but they were all less than 10 inches long. i guess thats good!! maybe by fall they’ll be tailing. if flipper doesnt find them.

and no “roxy” was not with me but she’s doing great.

thanks for all your posts guys, it makes the down times better.

The water in the ville get too cold. You will find the back the in smaller pods during warmer days but bc of its shallow depth it effect much more by temp. variation

“The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.” </font id=“size2”>
Hobie Adventure Kayak 08 </font id=“size2”>
Hobie Pro Angler Kayak 09 & 10 </font id=“size2”>

I was farther south today. I padddled and casted to every point, pocket, nook, and oyster mound on both sides of the ICY from the cove almost to Breech inlet. Saw maybe 20 fish total, not even a bite.
I jumped one school of 5 or 6 fish early, had one follow but not take the streakz. Next thing I know all hell breaks loose as flipper X3 found the rest of the school and proceeded to slaughter reds.

Saw some dead trout in the Sta 26 creek and one live one that was too cold to move. I could’ve reached down and picked him up.

Who’s Ready for a Sleigh Ride? KayahFishSC.com

“What happened to the ville?” Everyone with a yak is what… Too much pressure in there now. Yeah there are still fish but they are much more spooky and will jet off a flat qucker than ever now and I have seen far fewer fish in there this year. 4 years ago you’d see 15-20 tails lined up like john deeres plowing the north forty on EVERY flat. out inthe sound you;d see tons of fish year round. My last 3 trips out there I saw nada and nabbed a few rats and one or two over slot fish… Glad I found a few more better spots now…

“Paddle faster boys… I hear banjo music!”
SC Chapter Coordinator- Heroes on the Water
http://www.HeroesOnTheWater.org
Charleston Director- SCKayakfishing.com
Tarpon 160os

all good input, thx

nj,
are those better spots drive to? and are they north or south?

i 've had luck towing the yak on the boat to some “new to me” spots.

though i have never really tried too hard south of chuck.

14’McKee 75Merc 2stroke