DIY Compression Test...

I’d like to do compression tests on my Suzuki 60hp Four Strokes. Is there somewhere to find easy instructions to do it? I’ve done it about 6 yrs ago. Also, can’t I use a pressure guage from one of the auto retailer shops?

“CatHouse”
www.rossturpin.com

remove spark plugs – all of them. screw gauge into first spark plug hole, turn key for a few revs – best to ground out the plug wires to the block. repeat for the next cylinders. its really that simple.

owned by trailer bearings…

be sure to have the throttle opened up on a four stroke when doing a compression test. other wise you could get wierd readings

197 poineer F150
31 yellowfin twin 275

Can I just go to the local autozone and get a pressure gauge? What’s best way to ground? Pull them all out or just the one I testing?

“CatHouse”
www.rossturpin.com

yes on autozone, pull all the plugs – that way the starter doesnt struggle. The way I ground the wires is by reinstalling the plugs in the wires and laying the plug on something metal like the cylinder head.

owned by trailer bearings…

If your not worried about verifying spark, pull your kill lanyard. It will still crank but not spark. Like harbor shocker said wide open throttle to check compression on a four stroke. It should also be ran to temp.

Didn’t think it was a good idea to pull spark plugs from a hot block. Is that not the case?

17’ Henry O Hornet
26’ Palmer Scott

might be a little warm when you do it but there is no problem pulling them out

197 poineer F150
31 yellowfin twin 275