Lefty Kreh in Pawleys

Glad to hear that Lefty Kreh is doing a seminar in the area. Somewhere down on the Santee March 12. Gonna try to make it. Have a contact number if any of you are interested. Think he’s about 85 or so and he has developed some casting techniques that are “senior sensitive” for those of us who hurt after a day on the flats. Hope to get some comments on my flies too. Think he’s gonna be at PI Outdoors also that weekend. Ive read a good bit of his stuff and it seems pretty practical.

pretty cool I saw lefty about 10 years ago at a show in Charlotte. He laid out a 90 foot cast with a broom handle.

Who’s Ready for a Sleigh Ride? www.KayahFishSC.com

Casting clinic will be held at Ricehope Plantation at North Santee River on March 12th. Will be capped at 15 people. $350 gets you a full day of personal casting instruction and lunch with Lefty. The next day Lefty will do a casting demonstration and book signing at Pawleys Island Outdoors. Myself and Capt. Newman Weaver of Kingfisher Guide Service will be there tying flies and sharing some local effective fly patterns and techniques. Kent Edmonds from Temple Fork Outfitters (TFO) will be there displaying their new line of fly rods and reels. Lunch will be served at PIO and that event is free to the public. Please come support your local tackle shop. Email me at winyahjay@yahoo.com for more info about the casting clinic.

I saw Lefty and Bob Clouser last weekend at a show in Annapolis Maryland. Lefty was throwing half of a line with just a rod tip. Got a personal lesson from Clouser, those guys sure do know the physics of casting. I learned a ton on how to toss a shooting head/sinking line with a big weighted fly into a 25 mph breeze without clocking myself in the head anymore

There is no normal life, there’s just life.

Tarpon 140

Knot the Reel World Fly Fishing LLC

I know Kent and if you have not met him you will enjoy meeting him as well. He is a ga guy and i have fished with him, and he sure can tell a story!
I wish i could get there. Please post some pictures and a report.

Far better it is to dare mighty things to win glorious triumphs even though checkered with failure, than to take ranks with those poor spirits who never enjoy much nor suffer much because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

quote:
Originally posted by Hokieflyguy

I learned a ton on how to toss a shooting head/sinking line with a big weighted fly into a 25 mph breeze without clocking myself in the head anymore

Any tips that are easy to share? tossing that heavy sink line gets me when I have to alter the preferred/standard cast due to wind. Always worried gonna end a trip early with a hook in the back of the head or somewhere else.

You can always cast a little lower like 3/4 or sidearm. This might help keep your loops from grabbing each other and the hook out of your head. Lefty does not use a straight over the top stroke anyway.

Far better it is to dare mighty things to win glorious triumphs even though checkered with failure, than to take ranks with those poor spirits who never enjoy much nor suffer much because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

You want to cast the rod like you are trying to ■■■■■ the tip away from your body on both the forward and the back casts. Make sure your wrist is locked and rotate your entire body as you cast rather than moving just your arm. Also keep your elbow on a level plane, as if it were on a shelf when you are casting

There is no normal life, there’s just life.

Tarpon 140

Knot the Reel World Fly Fishing LLC

glad Lefty’s seminar filled up. good to see you Newman, as always. look forward to your tying demo. havent tried much of the EP stuff but ive got a couple packs somewhere. still hunting for the buffalo. i should just put a hide on the wall so ill know where it is and cut off chunks as needed. will check with wife and get back to you. hope Lefty’s visit will fire up the fly crowd at PI. all reports are hes a great guy. hope to see a bunch of ya at PI outdoors March 13. im sure stump will have good eats.

he’s pretty white for a fly guy

Lefty’s seminar was pretty amazing. guess he’s legendary for a good reason. he could replicate each persons error and give you the adjustments to correct it in a couple minutes. as an educator he is top notch. hope some of you guys can meet him today.
ps found a little chunk of buffalo belly that shud tie several Newman

Thanks Hutch!! will see you in afew hrs.

Newman
www.gtownkingfisher.com

we were talking about your jaw drop when Lefty put the sweet in your cast for a while after yall left. you probly need to stick two lines together so you dont spool your reel on the cast by now. he is quite a guy and i hope everyone enjoyed and benefitted from his visit as much as i did. hows them buffalo soldiers lookin mon?