Fishing Murray

Im new to striper fishing and I would really like to start. I just got a new boat and I would like to go to Murray and try it out. What should I use for bait and where should I go? Im not looking for anybody’s hotspots, but im just looking to catch some fish. Thanks in advance for the help!

As the weather and water warms, fish around the dam using blueback herring. You’ll need a good sonar to locate schools of bait and hopefully a school of fish underneath.
I usually fish at night with lights and a generator dropping down lines.
Sometimes “real” good. Sometimes not. :smiley:

I was planning on fishing Sun am, but after working outside this am and seeing tomorrow is going to 96, I think I am going to pull out the lights and give it a try tonight.

ELCID, IMO, the most important thing getting started is making sure you have a decent bait tank to keep your herring alive…particularly in the summer months. There’s a lot of options on types of tanks that are available and what you want depends on your budget, how much bait you want to keep alive and for how long. The options are everything from a $20 bubbler you put in a (round) cooler to a large insulated tank with a filtration system.

What kind of boat did you get?

'07 198 DLX Carolina Skiff
FS90 Suzuki

I have a 16ft john with a 40hp Johnson. I have put a lot of work into it. I got the boat rino lined and built a deck on the front. There are three swivel seats, trolling motor, and a nice hummingbird. I was thinking about getting one of those bubblers for bait fish when I go fishing in Charleston. When I do, do I just fish the herring live on like a carolina rig?

carolina rig dropped down to the depth you mark the fish

FS90 Suzuki

Thanks i will try it out soon!

elcid were you out there monday (memorial day)? if so were you around the towers?

Sorry for the late response. No I didnt get a chance to get out there. But if you see a guy in a 16ft camo john boat that looks like he doesn’t have a clue about striper fishing… give me a holler. Ha. Hope you guys did well if you fished this Saturdays tournament!

Me and striperskiff fished. We both had a fish to weigh in!!! I caught 40 or better all day with only one keeper that was 6 lbs if I recall tim got a 8 lber. Big fish was 19.5lbs. Roughly and winning creek was almost 32 lbs. So some guys did really well. It was tough fishing. We spent the day feeding 19"ers so hopefully they will all be 21s now! Cut bait was the way to win I heard.

http://www.southcarolinaonthelakes.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=10

Wellcraft V20, 175 Yamaha

AQ, good to meet you guys at the tx.

That was a humbling experience for sure :smiley:

We had a great time though even though we only had that one keeeper all day…our first fish …caught before 6:30 am

Enjoyed a beautiful day on the lake, won a nice tackle bag, coupon for 4 doz herring, ate some great BBQ and helped raise some money for a good cause. All in all a great day!

I’m working on getting out for a few hours this evening…kinda leaning toward cut bait:smiley:

FS90 Suzuki

Tim, fix the guy up with one of those bubblers. I’ll get with you later about a night trip. Come on up if you get a chance and bring Jim or some else if you can.

I’d rather fish than eat.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

In God We Trust

Striperskiff did you go out? Did you cut bait? Just seeing how you did. I might go tomorrow.

Made it out Sun eve, but didn’t get to fish more than 20 - 30 min… catching only 1 fish. Got hung up longer than I planned at the towers catching bait and then we decided to cut it short when the storms started moving in.

For what it’s worth, we did mark fish in 35 ft of water up near Spence where we decided to fish and got the one on cut bait.

I want to get out there tomorrow too if I can find someone to sub for me in our company golf league…and maybe even if I can’t.:smiley:

FS90 Suzuki

Me and striperskiff fished. We both had a fish to weigh in!!! I caught 40 or better all day with only one keeper that was 6 lbs if I recall tim got a 8 lber. Big fish was 19.5lbs. Roughly and winning creek was almost 32 lbs. So some guys did really well. It was tough fishing. We spent the day feeding 19"ers so hopefully they will all be 21s now! Cut bait was the way to win I heard.

Not sure what you meant to say, but somehow looks like you reposted a previous post.

Anyway, I found a golf sub, so I should be out there. Stopping by the towers for bait and then probably heading up around Goat or Wessinger. Probably see you out there if you make it.

FS90 Suzuki

Yea somehow did that on my phone in my pocket! That’s pocket dialing!