Menhaden out fished shrimp?

Another stellar day with my dad and brother yesterday. Fished from 8am to 3pm. Released 14 over slot reds from 23.5" to 32". Released a dozen or so 16-19"ers and kept seven 21-22.5"ers for a family fish fry last night. Did not catch a single short fish all day. The smaller reds hit shrimp and the tanks ate menhaden fished on the bottom. When we cleaned the fish they were full of old menhaden, stone crabs and fiddler crabs. Dad (65 yrs young)also caught his first tagged red so he gets a new t-shirt! The fish were incredibly fat. I cannot remember as a child EVER catching the amount of big fish we did yesterday. The state of the Charleston red fishery is a true testiment to the positive effect of the slot limit. Of course…the fishermen that adhear to that slot limit are to be credited as well. Good job to all of you.

If you’re not effecting the world around you in a positive manner…you’re taking up too much space.

in general where were you fishing? Wando, Copper, ICW

Man, sounds like a great day! Find MH on the surface? And I couldn’t agree more on fishery comments.

Vinman
19.5 Triumph, 115 HP Honda
“Every saint has a past, every sinner a future”

nowhere have I caught as good of a ratio of big to small reds as i do here. we do have a great fishery w caring fisherman here!!

• I’d rather be a free man in my grave than living as a puppet or a slave.

Yeah, menhaden were on the top…acres of them. Little 4’ net, let it sink had all we needed to include 2.5 gallons to chum with in three casts.

We were in the Ashley:smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::wink:

If you’re not effecting the world around you in a positive manner…you’re taking up too much space.