1999 johnson tilt/ trim question

I have a 1999 johnson 50hp and the trim has quit working. Was getting sluggish going up but always went down fine. Now wont go up at all but will still go down fine? Any suggestions ?

sounds like you up tilt and trim solenoid is bad easy fix.

scott
key west 189FS

what happens when you push the up button?

www.teamcharlestonmarine.com
www.joinrfa.org

When I push the up bottom on the motor or throttle handle it sounds like its trying to go up but nothing moves. What does it take to change the solenoid?

meaning its making noise trying to work?
if so, its not the solenoid.
if it just makes a click, and then nothing else, most likely the solenoid, but if its spinning making noise, its a hydraulic issue

www.joinrfa.org

Yea its definitely making a noise trying to move. sounds pretty much like it does when going down but it just doesnt move. Could it be not getting fluid? Is this something I could have somebody fix at the house? I was hoping to have it ready by this weekend and I know I cant get in and out of a shop that soon.

it could be simply low on fluid, but that means its leaking out

www.joinrfa.org

Ok I give up I can’t figure this trim thing out. Topped off with fluid and still only goes down not up. Can’t hardly get it back in my garage now cause motor in trimmed all the way down . Is there anybody out there qualified to come fix this at my house? I’d pay of course. Please somebody let me know something

In the short term, there should be a vent screw on the trim/tilt assembly somewhere. On my 88hp Johnson, it is on the outside lower right area of the assembly. I don’t know where it is on a 50. But, you should be able to find that screw, loosen it, and manually lift the motor.

In the longer term…

I’m not sure what you mean by you hear it ‘trying to move.’

If your 50 is generally similar in function to the system on my 88…

When you hit the switch, two things have to happen in sequence: 1) a switch will click creating a path to your trim tilt pump motor; 2) the motor will spin and pump fluid to one side or the other of the trim tilt cylinders. The polarity of the power sent to the pump motor depends on whether you press the up button or the down button. There are two switches, one goes with the ‘up’ path. The other goes with the ‘down’ path.

So, when you push the ‘up’ button, you should hear a click from the ‘down’ switch closing and simultaneously, you should hear a whining noise that is the pump/motor spinning. Is that what you are hearing? Does it sound exactly the same (except, maybe higher pitch when going down) in both directions?

17’ Henry O Hornet
26’ Palmer Scott

Definitely sounds like a whining noise when going up and down. Not sure if I hear a click though.

The whining cannot happen w/o the click. The click and the start of the t/t motor are simultaneous. You may not be able to hear the click since the pump motor is kicking in.

My next two guesses. Either you have not correctly filled the fluid and/or…

there is a valve assembly in/with the pump. You may have a stuck valve. I’d take to Chris V. Good luck. Hope you are back on the water soon.

17’ Henry O Hornet
26’ Palmer Scott

Where would be the best place to take it? I live in goose creek

Chris V, who posted above is a good guy. See his signature in his post. I have never done business with him, but have met him. And, his shop enjoys a solid reputation. He often gives valuable advise on these pages. I’d take it to him.

My second choice, a shop I have used, is Hanckel’s on HWY 17 south going out of West Ashley, just south of the ends of I-526. I do most of my own maintenance and repairs, but, they guys at Hanckel’s have always been top notch. And, they stock lots of parts for slightly aging Johnson motor.

I think those are good choices. Other shops may be equally good… just never used them. The one shop I would warn against has gone out of business.

Warning though, this the depth of the busiest season for these shops.
They may all have a significant line already.

17’ Henry O Hornet
26’ Palmer Scott