"Creek Rat" 14 ft jon boat build (COMPLETE! 8-23)

After some convincing by Cracker Larry, I got the plans for the GF14 from http://www.bateau.com. I want to build it for inshore fishing and beating around and whatnot so she'll get a work boat finish. My epoxy and fiberglass just got here and I've got my work space set up. I've even got van bench seats for the ladies to come hang out and watch me work. I recently got a fancy camera and am itching to use it so expect quite a few pictures.

I did a rebuild on a 13ft Malibu a couple years ago and that's what really got me inspired to build this new boat. You can check out the pictures at this link (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.528207271695.2030656.46403067&type=3&l=86f489a40c). I plan to make a photo album on my Facebook and use it to host the pictures to post on this here forum.

Now I'm just waiting for that plywood to get here so I can get to building.

-Capt. Chris Rapchick

yella bote
no motor
Last edited by Rapchizzle
Replies

Looks good! I saw a cheap short shaft motor on CL and PM'ed you the link. Dont know if you had power for this bad boy or not yet. Keep up the good work -
Rapchizzle,

The boat looks awesome! Serious question, though: what made you decide to build a jon boat vs. just purchasing an aluminum one? Will the wood last exponentially longer than aluminum? It seems like the aluminum would be much cheaper and obviously less time-consuming. Are you adding some "custom" features to the boat, or is it just a project you've been wanting to do? Thanks in advance, as I look forward to your feedback.
Well, to be honest, I've got the time, just enough money and the tools and wanted a project. When it's complete, the boat will be better built, just as light (if not lighter), and cheaper than a production fiberglass or aluminum boat. I've had both aluminum and fiberglass boats before and have taken aspects from both of those to incorporate into my build. This boat will be set up to fish 2 people comfortably and will be less likely to rust and corrode than an aluminum boat. If I were to buy a brand new aluminum boat, I'd be paying more for a bare bones metal boat than I'll have into this thing.
Last edited by Rapchizzle
Lookin good Rap. Those little gaps,,, nothing some thickened epoxy won't take care of!

I think a lot of building ones own boat has to with the self satisfication and knowing what went into the boat and how it's constructed.

Russ B.
www.joinrfa.org
God is great, Beer is good, People are crazy

http://www.facebook.com/RussbMaritimeServices

Chris,

Thanks for all the great photos and detailed write up. This has become a tutorial for all to see. I bet many people who never thought they could build a boat will catch the fever and build something for themselves.

Thanks!
Mick

Tidewater 196DC
Yamaha F115
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pungo 120
Looks great, I showed this to my wife and said I wanna do this, no was the reply, so keep up the good work and thanks for the pics
Originally posted by JimIslander

Chris,

Thanks for all the great photos and detailed write up. This has become a tutorial for all to see. I bet many people who never thought they could build a boat will catch the fever and build something for themselves.

Thanks!
Mick

Tidewater 196DC
Yamaha F115
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pungo 120

ditto. thank you
She's complete! I used 3 coats of "Gripper" primer and 3 coats of tan "Concrete and Garage paint"with some antislip on the horizontal surfaces. The rod holders, cleats, seat bracket, etc went in today and I'm calling it good enough. Of course, there will always be little things I can do down the line but that's half the fun of owning a boat! The fire hose was a pain to put on as a rubrail. I fee as if I had used a loooooot more PVC clampsand done it all at once, it would have turned out a hundred times better. I was short on clamps so I glued the vertical surface and once it was cured, I did the horizontal surface. Lesson learned. I got my hands on a free piece of black starboard perfectly sized for my backing plate for the bow cleat. We've apparently got a hurricane or something headed our way down here in the Keys so I've gotta skeedaddle so the exterior paint job will wait until I get home and get some and space to do so.

Man this looks great Chris. Hope I can fish out of it one day with you.

You are rite to be proud of your boat.

---
www.scmarine.org
---
www.joinrfa.com
---
Luke 8:22-25