I NEED HELP!!!

This is only my second summer of surf fishing, and last summer I was more or less just a tag along. Now that I’m actually trying it solo, I’m not catching a darn thing! I’ve been skunked the last four times I’ve been out, and on three different beaches (Sullivan’s, Edisto, and Kiawah). I’ve tried finger mullet, fresh shrimp, frozen shrimp, squid, artificials, and a few other cut bait caught in the surf… nothing! I’m basically just using a bottom rig with a pyramid weight, leader, and a 3/0 - 5/0 circle hook. Can anyone give me some advice, or let me know what has been biting lately? I’ve got family coming into town from a fly-over state (not Ohio or Michigan) and I’d really love to get my nephew on a fish or two.

smaller hooks

spots, croakers, blues, even trout and reds will eat pieces of shrimp on #2 - #4 XL shank hooks

if you’re targeting reds or flounder specifically, I like to use a Carolina rig with a 2/0 circle for reds or a 2/0 to 3/0 Kahle for flounder. I’ll fish finger mullet or mud minnow and cast and drag all the way through the wash.
Also toss out a piece of cut mullet on a 2/0 circle and let it lay. Best option is find a slough and cast to where the water is ripping out.

Thats like casting to the head of a buffet line looking for fat kids.

Who’s Ready for a Sleigh Ride? www.KayakFishSC.com

I agree with smaller hooks. My standard hook is a 2/0 circle hook, double drop rigs work well fished in the suds. It is not always necessary to cast as far as you can to catch something. Plenty of fish to be caught in 12" of water.

quote:
Originally posted by beachpirate

I agree with smaller hooks. My standard hook is a 2/0 circle hook, double drop rigs work well fished in the suds. It is not always necessary to cast as far as you can to catch something. Plenty of fish to be caught in 12" of water.

X2

Don’t cast past the breakers. Fish IN the breakers and during the flooding tide. Look for dips in the sand at low tide and cast into them when the breakers get to them. You only need small dips/depressions.

Thanks, y’all… I was getting suspicious that my hooks were too big. Good to know.

If you are targeting whiting, drop down to a 1/0 or a #1 size and you will get a lot more hookups. I use that size hook when fishing live bait for trout and reds and the same size with dead bait for whiting, spots, and croaker. Pompano have a small mouth also, and I have caught a few from the beach in years past. Also, use a double hook righ when you are fishing for whiting and spots. If you find them you will get a few doubles. Good luck!

PioneerLouie
Pioneer Venture 175, Johnson 90
Summerville, SC

i make my own bottom rigs by taking about 3 feet of 50lb braided line and tying it so it has a loop on each end and 2 in between. the ones in between are about 2 inches long when stretched out and thats where i put my hooks at which are usually size 1 or 2 circle hooks dont remember right off the top of my head. one of the ends i loop a barrel swivel to it and the other a smaller (2 or 3 oz) sputnik weight. the rod im tossing that with is simply a 6’6" medium spinning rod with 12lb mono and works fine for small fish and occasional stingrays. i like the sputniks since they dig into the sand and keep your rig where you intended to throw it rather than get tossed by the current to who knows where. ive caught several double whiting at IOP and sullivans with that rig and often times they magically appear out of nowhere when im just checking bait or when i walked out to cast a heavier rod for sharks or reds. shrimp and squid seem to be my best baits on the smaller rod and i use cut fish, half a blue crab, or a glob of squid on the bigger rods. hope that helps.