Need a good choke

For my 12ga 870. I do mostly duck and dove shooting, but turkey and sleet, hogs, and squirrels, and snakes as well. I have the standard mod. Choke it comes with but I need a full as well. Not looking to break the bank, but get something reliable. What’s a goid one and good place to get one?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Carlsons-Replacement-Remington-Choke-Tubes/1323619.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dcarlsons%2Bchoke%2Btubes%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%3BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=carlsons+choke+tubes&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

strip…strip…FISH ON!

Go to walmart

How do you snake hunt? And you want a full choke for squirrels? What is a sleet and when is the season?

bulletsrcheap

Good and cheap, typically you’ll get 1 of the 2. But Carlson’s are probably you’re best bet without knowing much a bout snake hunting and 0 about sleet hunting

bulletsrcheap

Flyinghigh- I will if I got to, but I’d rather go local route.
Theepirate- *skeet and whenever I’m in the woods I got my shotgun, more than w few snakes have died at the end of this barrel. Killed 3 in the salkehatchie swamp last weekend.
And I’m not looking to buy the top of the line choke, but I want something good and not crap

That’s very manly of you to kill every snake you see, shows high level of respect and woodsmanship

bulletsrcheap

Every snake in my line of fire is a dead snake, whether its called “woodsmanship” or not, I do not want to experience a situation where a member of my family gets bit while walking the same trail where I let a snake go unharmed.

172 Sea Hunt Triton
Laser Sailboat

Theepirate- I’m enjoying your internet tough talk, you can’t really look on somebody when you can’t see em. I never said I killed every snake. They were 2 moccasins and a rattler, so you don’t impress me bud.
Cam- I may not kill every snake, I think snakes are pretty cool, but if they act aggressively or are poisonous, dead.
Now can we get thus thread back on topic?

I bought a carlson’s extended turkey choke from the Gun Doctor on 17A a few yrs ago, it’s been dropping turkeys ever since!

great choke but it’s not a skeet or dove choke, you don’t want as tight of a choke for that… there isn’t a one size fits all choke unless you buy one of those adjustable chokes, not sure how accurate they are until you pattern them with different settings and shot

I’d go talk to Jeff at the Gun Doc if I were you, they have a good bit of stuff like that in stock.

Sea Hunt Triton 177
115 Yamaha

Yak, you looking for an all around choke? If so then your standard mod. would do that. If not look for a choke kit and change out to suit your hunting needs. The last .12 I bought came with a skeet, imp cly, modified, full, and turkey choke. I love the turkey choke for squirrels up high and at a distance, but up close quick shots make sure you are dead on. Put a dab of anti-sieze on the threads of all your chokes to save future problems.

Chokes are kind of like props, sometimes it’s better to try one out before buying it, if you can find one to borrow and pattern with your shotgun.

Thanks guys, let’s clarify here though haha.
I need a good choke for Turkey’s
And one for doves/duck my mod works pretty well for everything else.
Squirrels are fun to hunt, normally one of us has a 22 and the other has a shotgun, last time I went it was so windy we had to use a .12ga to shoot the tree rats out the nest and hit them with a .22 while their on the run

quote:
Originally posted by yakman72

Thanks guys, let’s clarify here though haha.
I need a good choke for Turkey’s
And one for doves/duck my mod works pretty well for everything else.
Squirrels are fun to hunt, normally one of us has a 22 and the other has a shotgun, last time I went it was so windy we had to use a .12ga to shoot the tree rats out the nest and hit them with a .22 while their on the run

If it was so windy and you where taking them on the run with a .22 instead of the shot gun your pretty good.

Back in the day my brother and I used the same comb, except we used the .22 to shoot right next to the tree or found a vine to pull to scare them out and then used the shot gun to get em on the run. An indiscriminate shot gun blast to a nest may leave 2 or 3 dead or dying inside. I really hate squirrels but I hate leaving something suffering more. I’ve killed a few squirrels on the run with a .22, but it’s not something a lot of people can do.

< Evil is simply the absence of God >

That’s what makes it fun! I agree on the nest thing, but at right underneath it with birdshot, the nest kinda disintegrates… not bragging but I’ve killed a few with the .22 on the run, and I’m a pretty good shot, I got 30 for 30 on skeet and I hit a clay pigeon on a tree at 200 yards the first time I shot a high powred rifle(.243) this weekend. Id hate to leave my squirrels dead in the nest though, them suckers taste awesome!

quote:
Originally posted by yakman72

That’s what makes it fun! I agree on the nest thing, but at right underneath it with birdshot, the nest kinda disintegrates… not bragging but I’ve killed a few with the .22 on the run, and I’m a pretty good shot, I got 30 for 30 on skeet and I hit a clay pigeon on a tree at 200 yards the first time I shot a high powred rifle(.243) this weekend. Id hate to leave my squirrels dead in the nest though, them suckers taste awesome!

If your hitting a clay pigeon @ 200 yards, your ready to use that .243 for some head and neck shots on MR./Mrs. white tail.

If you like squirrel, you’ll love rabbit. My neighbor or Australian sheppard/mountain cure cross gets all my squirrels.

< Evil is simply the absence of God >

What is a poisonous snake? I’ve crossed paths with venomous snakes but I have never heard of a poisonous snake…did you leave the meat out and it spoiled?

quote:
Originally posted by DeerHunter

What is a poisonous snake? I’ve crossed paths with venomous snakes but I have never heard of a poisonous snake…did you leave the meat out and it spoiled?

The venom making them poisonous, makes them a … poisonous snake… But I think you already know that.

Poison is ingested, venom is injected?there are no snakes that make you swallow their toxins

I’ve got a friend I work with, we still argue over the difference between a motor and an engine.