Saturday 5/11

My first report post so be gentle fellas…

Went out with my sister in-law and brother in-law on Saturday. Since he is from Hawaii, this type of fishing is especially foreign to him so it was more of a fun trip than serious fishing. But that changed. Went to a usual spot where I target trout and flounder using TTs and popping corks. No dice all day targeting those fish at a few different spots near SI and IOP but I’m sure it was timing due to a late start relative to tides. Anyway, switched the game plan to minnows around structure (well known spot) and it wasn’t too long until the reels start screaming with a few Reds. I landed the first one and it was thatclose to being in the slot (26’’).

[URL=http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/pathfindermike/media/photo21_zpsb0699269.jpg.html]

[/URL]

I am glad I thought better of it than keep it as while I was trying to corral a minnow that flopped out of my hands the DNR literally ran in to me with his boat. License check accomplished and back to green flag racing. All in all three reds in about 30 minutes until we had to head back. My brother in-law caught the biggest at 11 lbs. but didn’t measure it as it was a long battle and we wanted to get it back to the water ASAP.

[URL=http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/pathfindermike/media/photo12_zps6c862324.jpg.html]

[/URL]

It was his first red and it didn’t help it was the biggest on the lightest tackle on the boat. The best part of this was that no one around looked to be catching anything and just watched us reel them in. It’s usually the other way around so you have to treasure it when it happens to you!

Nice report and congrats.

ONE NOTE: Don’t hang reds you can’t keep by their lips; it’s not good for them. Support them and release them gently. No point in weighing every big fish, especially if you have a camera and tape measure.

The boga pictures are just for that, pictures. I didn’t yank the Reds out by the Boga as I used a rubber net so the time hanging was less than 30 seconds for a photo. The fish swam away fine and were obviously caught before as most had fresh hook sores/scabs (I believe). With the amount of sharks that are patrolling under boats these days, especially Bulls and BTR sharks, my hands generally stay in the boat.

Got you. I have always heard it is bad for large fish, even for a little while, but have never seen an actual study.

Those are some big fish!

Well done!

Semper Fi
18’ Sterling
115 Yamaha
Big Ugly Homemade Blue Push Pole

I was ab to say… Geez not again…

“Good things come to those who bait”

Good job.

How do you make that goofy link stop when posting from photobucket?

Vinman
“Every saint has a past, every sinner a future”
www.summervillesaltwateranglers.com
2011 Carolina Skiff 178DLV
90 HP Honda

quote:
Originally posted by Vinman

Good job.

How do you make that goofy link stop when posting from photobucket?

Vinman
“Every saint has a past, every sinner a future”
www.summervillesaltwateranglers.com
2011 Carolina Skiff 178DLV
90 HP Honda

Remove all the code except for the code between the IMG and /IMG

When you open the image in photobucket there is a box on the right side of it titled “Links to share this photo”. Click on the last selection “Img”. That will copy it. Then just paste it here and it shows up without the junk.

Nice fish:sunglasses:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats
Small craft surveying and repair